Thread: I'm sold...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

I'm sold...

...on getting a 29er. I just demoed my friend's 29er and I was grinning from ear to ear. I was impressed on how well it handled on the rocky DH, climbing and cornering. Now I want to get my hands on an El Commandante Ultimate. I need to figure out what components to get that will get me below $2K to do a SS build. Any recommendations?

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Is that a firm 2k or is there some play? Do you want suspension or a carbon fork? You can do it for 2k but you will need to skimp on some components.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

$2k

I have the wheels, seatpost, and handlebars already. All I need is the cranks, headset, bottom bracket, suspension forks and disc brakes.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Frame - $975 at Bike Bling
    Rock Shox Recon Gold TK 9mm QR - $365 after 15% off coupon "vip15" and free shipping
    Cane Creek 40 Headset - $46 from Universal Cycles
    XT Crankset - $150 from ebay

For brakes I like Shimano and Formula. Shimanos Servo Wave is nice. Blue Sky Cycling has SLX for $110 per end with rotors.
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-%26-Rotor.htm

That comes up to $1756.
    You still need a rear cog, chain, brake adaptors, grips, stem, tires, tubes or tubeless brew. You should be able to do that with the $244 left. If you have spare cash you can upgrade the fork to a Reba or look for a used Fox.

I vote for ESI Chunky or Ergon grips. Ill never go back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Thanks

I like the list. Would you know if it would cost extra if I order a custom color? I like the light blue color.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Competitive Cyclist may have it or call Sherwood and see if they have and closeout frames you may get a better deal. I think a custom color is $150.