Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm That is it I'm done! Superdust and Sliver

    Yesterday I received a set of Hadley/Flows along with a silver headset and seat clamp from Chad. I started out with the El Rey in 5 inch mode with a Fluid 135 and 5 inch rockers. It is now back in 4 inch mode with a rocker change and Fluid 110.

    So the final build data is:

    17 inch Superdust El Rey 4 inch rocker.
    Fluid 110.
    36 hole silver Hadley hubs laced to Flow rims, 20 mm F bolt on R. Tubeless mounted Rampages with home brew as a sealer.
    X9 Shifters.
    XT front dérailleur.
    X9 rear dérailleur.
    Race Face Atlas cranks 32 middle ring with Action Tec ti 20 inner ring.
    Time ATAC pedals
    05 Hope M4 brakes with 203 rotors f & r.
    Thompson post and stem.
    WTB Laser V saddle
    Easton Monkeylite low rise carbon bar.
    Lizard Skin lock-On grips
    JNC for the glow in the dark graphics.
    and a chain.

    30.5lbs as it sits.


    Thanks go out to Chad at Red Barn and Rage my Local LBS for all their support. Don't want to forget Sherwood for making a fantastic bike which fits this fat boys riding style

    Last edited by Cycle64; 01-29-2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  2. #2
    Not a Barry supporter.
    Reputation: Crash_FLMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,834
    Sweet pal!

    Now that I know we share a pedal preference, I just may have to steal it for a ride.

    How are the Hope Mini's? I've never used them b/4 but looked at them on my last build.



    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Yesterday I received a set of Hadley/Flows along with a silver headset and seat clamp from Chad. I started out with the El Rey in 5 inch mode with a Fluid 135 and 5 inch rockers. It is now back in 4 inch mode with a rocker change and Fluid 110.

    So the final build data is:

    17 inch Superdust El Rey 4 inch rocker.
    Fluid 110.
    36 hole silver Hadley hubs laced to Flow rims, 20 mm F bolt on R. Tubeless mounted Rampages with home brew as a sealer.
    X9 Shifters.
    XT front dérailleur.
    X9 rear dérailleur.
    Race Face Atlas cranks 32 middle ring with Action Tec ti 20 inner ring.
    Time ATAC pedals
    05 Hope M4 brakes with 203 rotors f & r.
    Thompson post and stem.
    WTB Laser V saddle
    Easton Monkeylite low rise carbon bar.
    Lizard Skin lock-On grips
    JNC for the glow in the dark graphics.
    and a chain.

    30.5lbs as it sits.


    Thanks go out to Chad at Red Barn and Rage my Local LBS for all their support. Don't want to forget Sherwood for making a fantastic bike which fits this fat boys riding style

    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

  3. #3
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Rodney I have the Hope M4 not the Mini's. I like lots of braking power. The M4 is by far the best brakes I have used to date. But I will say I can really only compare then to the Hope Mini and XTR I have/had on the Niner.

    I'm still down with the knee issue. May do a easy Papago ride. But no stressful climbing until I'm sure the knee is good and ready. So if you want to borrow it you know my number.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  4. #4
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Nice. Can you show off the glow in the dark stickers?

    Need some daylight shots too.

    I like my El Capitan a lot with 4" rockers and fluid 100. Just feels right.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  5. #5
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Bum knee but I'll be on the trail soon!

    As for the stickers, that picture was shot in the house with a flash. The TRB and Ventana sticker light up when light hits them. Normally all you see is a superdust frame unless you look close or are night riding and someone hits you with a light. So maybe glow in the dark is the wrong term.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  6. #6
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,795
    great build, trb!

  7. #7
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    like it! great to see somebody has an El Rey heavier than mine too!

  8. #8
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Sweet pal!

    Now that I know we share a pedal preference, I just may have to steal it for a ride.

    How are the Hope Mini's? I've never used them b/4 but looked at them on my last build.
    my personal opinion, is that for most folks (like me), on such a bike, the Mini out back is fine. I will be putting mini out back and M4 out front on my El Rey running 180mm front/160 mm rear which is going to be perfect. Could run M4 out back as well but dont need it.

    Minis are great too....work quite well on my hardtail with a 180mm out front providing enough power/modulation, but not quite an M4.

  9. #9
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Nice burly Rey build.

    Hope brakes are worth every penny.

  10. #10
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Mini was OK and it was the front I was not impressed with. But I prefer a brake that I don't have to pull to the bar to brake. I'm a fat dude at 270, so I need all the breaking power I can get!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  11. #11
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    30.5 is a weight weenie compared to the RFX it replaced!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  12. #12
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    30.5 is a weight weenie compared to the RFX it replaced!
    i was just joshing.....mine is now at 29.6 lbs and its perfect.....might remove tubes, am putting on new (slightly) lighter brakes so 29 is about right for my ultimate build.

    speaking of RFX, I will be going soon from an 06 RFX with coil to Moto with air so i'll bet that will save some weight.....perhaps enough for me to add a gravity retarder with room to spare and still be ahead!

  13. #13
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,610

    Nnnniiiccceeee..

    So i take it that the wheels pretty much eliminate any flex? Glad to hear your digging..but bummer about the knee..what did you do to it?

    Kinda looks like mine..except you out bling me and im running the 180F/160R set up..

  14. #14
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Some day I'll give up being a tightwad and spring for some M4's. The ones I rode on Jayem's bike were unbelievable.

    Still, no real complaint with the Avid BB7's (4 sets!) other than being pedestrian, and they are sooo easy to set up.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  15. #15
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Motolite?

    I'm happy at 30.5 but sub 30 would have made my day!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  16. #16
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    They say it is Bursitis. Also told me to go to an orthopedic doctor. If something was torn it would not have got back to 80 percent in a week. Short story is it was bugging me so much I had a good limp. Had a road ride planned and said I'll see how it goes. After the road ride which was OK, I was toast cooling down. Saturday was in the ER it was so painful. Put me in a Velcro splint and sent me home with some pain killers.

    Like I said before I'm a big boy and like having enough brake!
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  17. #17
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    They say it is Bursitis. Also told me to go to an orthopedic doctor. If something was torn it would not have got back to 80 percent in a week. Short story is it was bugging me so much I had a good limp. Had a road ride planned and said I'll see how it goes. After the road ride which was OK, I was toast cooling down. Saturday was in the ER it was so painful. Put me in a Velcro splint and sent me home with some pain killers.

    Like I said before I'm a big boy and like having enough brake!
    i bet a chiropractor could fix your knee right up

  18. #18
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Think so, they deal with Bursitis?

    Moto what is replacing the RFX?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  19. #19
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Think so, they deal with Bursitis?

    Moto what is replacing the RFX?
    yes, a TerreMoFo will replace the GheyFX

  20. #20
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    yes, a TerreMoFo will replace the GheyFX
    Speaking of which, I went back to Beastro's thread and the photos are gone!

    Got any?

    Kinoki pads for the knee for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  21. #21
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Speaking of which, I went back to Beastro's thread and the photos are gone!

    Got any?

    Kinoki pads for the knee for sure.
    i know....i have a link to pics of his frame and had to ask him, but i am not a sharing friend as i dont want to be reminded that his azz has ridden that frame.....as it is, for the el rey, I am still recovering from acknowledging that he rode that complete bike (note that i quickly replaced the saddle however).

  22. #22
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Kinoki pads for the knee for sure.
    Those things really work???
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  23. #23
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,305
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Those things really work???
    Probably not, but some folks think so
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  24. #24
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Those things really work???
    dude, please dont show your ignorance. i read on the turner forum that they work from squeaky wheel so i know they work! sheesh!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,076
    sweet build. more pics of the stickers!

  26. #26
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    That may be true, but I don't ride a Turner anymore! I'm sure it won't be as effective using just a pad alone.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    19

    fluid or magic

    i like your el rey , nice color . i have a el padrino and el rey and only one wb magic ( one reba) so i need one more wb ... i'm curious if you have tried both the magic and fluid / or why i mite want to consider a fluid / or can you send me to another thread to get some opinions . thanks ... by the way ; years ago my chiropractor provided some legament repair pills that resolved years of pain in my knee i think it was made by ' standard products ' . i think those products are only thru holistic type of doctors .

  28. #28
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Just the Fluid 110 and Fluid 135. Like both but really like the F110. Air sprung and I can adjust for anything I want. It very smooth and I can't feel any flex. I would suggest either one to a friend.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,136
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Just the Fluid 110 and Fluid 135. Like both but really like the F110. Air sprung and I can adjust for anything I want. It very smooth and I can't feel any flex. I would suggest either one to a friend.
    +1 on the fork. Perfect fork for the El Rey.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    69
    Good looking El Rey . I hope that knee gets well soon, must be hard having to wait on riding your new setup.

    I'm hoping that Larry will be building my Hadley/Flow wheel set this week and perhaps my El Rey may be in my hot little hands next week. Too bad I'm sick as a dog atm with some stomach ailment and couldn't make it up the driveway without passing out.

  31. #31
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    No flash daytime shot. You can see the difference between the two now.



    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  32. #32
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,795
    is that a short or medium cage x9, trb?

  33. #33
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    I believe it is a medium. Center between the cogs is 3 inches.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  34. #34
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,795
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    I believe it is a medium. Center between the cogs is 3 inches.
    Thanks!

  35. #35
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Does look like a short cage. Who you arguing with?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  36. #36
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,795
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Does look like a short cage. Who you arguing with?
    arguing?

    I measured mine and seems like a medium cage...on the SRAM site the short cage doesn't say "1:1 actuation ratio"


    short



    medium

  37. #37
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Mine says 1 to 1 as pictured.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  38. #38
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Mine says 1 to 1 as pictured.
    mine definitely is a long and is labeled "white lightning"

  39. #39
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    mine definitely is a long and is labeled "white lightning"
    Is comparing the "white lightning" to a 1x1 that impressive.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  40. #40
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Is comparing the "white lightning" to a 1x1 that impressive.
    haha

    by the way, just now checked out the other pic you posted....your bike looks way badazz in that second pic!

  41. #41
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Thanks, I ridden it for the past few months changing this and that. A few components came over from my Turner. The final "required" items were the wheels. Now that it was complete I posted it up. Next step is to go ride it now that the knee is a little better. Doing a fitting tonight on this and my road bike just to be sure that area is covered.

    The El Rey is the type of ride I wanted for a long time. Just took me a few bikes to figure it out. I'm not jumping off houses and or racing. I'm a fat dude that rides to help with the diabetes and enjoy the trail. The El Rey fits that mold very well and can run down hill as fast I as want to go. Something about not healing like I did when I was 20 always comes to mind.

    Again thanks for the compliment on my bike. Sherwood and Chad helped me get what I was looking for.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  42. #42
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,248
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Thanks, I ridden it for the past few months changing this and that. A few components came over from my Turner. The final "required" items were the wheels. Now that it was complete I posted it up. Next step is to go ride it now that the knee is a little better. Doing a fitting tonight on this and my road bike just to be sure that area is covered.

    The El Rey is the type of ride I wanted for a long time. Just took me a few bikes to figure it out. I'm not jumping off houses and or racing. I'm a fat dude that rides to help with the diabetes and enjoy the trail. The El Rey fits that mold very well and can run down hill as fast I as want to go. Something about not healing like I did when I was 20 always comes to mind.

    Again thanks for the compliment on my bike. Sherwood and Chad helped me get what I was looking for.
    great to hear!

    Gotta say, to date, the El Rey is the best bike I have had the pleasure to ride, period. I cant imagine a finer "all around" bike to have. I got the bike from the Beast and only made/plan to make relatively minor tweaks. i upgraded the wheelset before he even sent it to me which was possible as he had a nicer wheelset for me to buy. Based on personal preference only, i swapped the bars (prefer longer bars), bashguard (big rings are ghey), saddle (puhleeze, el beastro used the previous saddle, enuf said), and new brakes (hell no i didnt need em as juicy 7s were fine, but i heart Hopes)

  43. #43
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Fat boy before the knee issue.

    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  44. #44
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,610

    Seriously thinking about

    [getting a medium or maybe a short cage now that im running a 20/30 - 11/34 set up. id love be able to take some links out and improve the shifting at the same time..

  45. #45
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    After being fitted tonight on my Jamis Nova and the El Rey. They lowered me just a little on the Nova and slide the set back. The El Rey I may have messed it up. Before the knee problem I had a straight post, 30 plus rides. Only had two rides with the laid back post and I felt OK. Doing the plumb bob deal I was over an inch behind the pedals. Put the straight back on and I was back in the right position. Looks like a classified add for a laid back post is in the works. The one I have will work fine as it is a Thompson also. But I like the silver look better. So I guess I need to re-title this thread.

    That is it I'm almost done! Superdust and Sliver
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  46. #46
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    Nice job.........................been thinkin of trying a setback seatpost on my Capitan though the straight post is okay for the most part ! TIG.

  47. #47
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Well the laid back messed up my riding position placing me back over an inch (plumb bob) behind the spindles. I have read and seen a good number of Ventana 29'ers with laid back posts. After seeing my position it would be interesting to see where they line up. I got a 330 Thompson which I'll be placing in a classified ad. Only two rides on it but I can't see it working for me being that far off.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jncarpenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,795
    Tim, the bike is looking very hawt! Congrats. The only downside is you currently ride the same bike as that fool, Fo****zle...bad juju.


  49. #49
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780
    Thanks pal and it rides better than it looks! You know I'm a Turner fan but Sherwood should be proud. First ride on the new Hadley/Flow tubeless Rampages was so sweet. I'm fat dude as the image will attest. But even with 36 psi in the tires they felt nice a squishy. Hadley's roll so nice and it's not like I'm coming off a cheap hub with the Kings. If the Hadley's hold up they will be my hub of choice.

    Short little ride today testing the knee with a friend on SOMO. I really need to ride that area more as it was amazing. Just hate the crowd and I was only on the far west end of Desert Classic, Secret Trail and War Paint.

    Flash picked up your stickers even in the day light!!!

    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

  50. #50
    Shovel Ready
    Reputation: Cycle64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5,780

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Tim, the bike is looking very hawt! Congrats. The only downside is you currently ride the same bike as that fool, Fo****zle...bad juju.
    That may not be not correct if I know his bike. Is it not orange and have a goofy white fork! Which I hear clunks all the time.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •