Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

I guess the cats out............

of the bag. Ventana will be producing a 650B I will have to put that on my short list, ole'
    Attached Images Attached Images

not so super...
    I'll add it to my list after there are more than one tire available and a good 5" fork.
    Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I'll add it to my list after there are more than one tire available and a good 5" fork.
    +1

Sounds interesting...but I like to have more options. Frame looks sweet though.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    cool.... the bastard!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My eyes cant quite make that out..... El what? Bastando?

not so super...
    El Bastardo
    Nothing to see here.

Ti is addictive
    The Green one that Sherwood had on display at his booth at the NAHMBS was way hotter then that white one. I think there are only 2 in existance right now........
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

El Bastardo
    yep.. the bastard..

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    The Green one that Sherwood had on display at his booth at the NAHMBS was way hotter then that white one. I think there are only 2 in existance right now........
    so you went (with Chazza & Crew)?

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    so you went (with Chazza & Crew)?

Yep, met Chazza in person, Noel of Knolly and Sherwood of course. Also met the infamous Shrek and Aaron as well. All cool dudes and not a single one tried to twist my arm into leaving Portlant with something in a frame box.

Yep, met Chazza in person, Noel of Knolly and Sherwood of course. Also met the infamous Shrek and Aaron as well. All cool dudes and not a single one tried to twist my arm into leaving Portlant with something in a frame box.

That's awesome, man! I'm green with envy....but "good" envy, if there is such a thing

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    That's awesome, man! I'm green with envy....but "good" envy, if there is such a thing

It was cool talking to Sherwood in person.....he designed a Level 2 Custom El Padino right there for me and talked about incorporating the new El Bastardo's seat taco gusset into it to give me the clearance I need. Now I just gotta harvest some shekels after the "other" bike gets here in 2 weeks and then I can get started on my clown wheel bike.

It was cool talking to Sherwood in person.....he designed a Level 2 Custom El Padino right there for me and talked about incorporating the new El Bastardo's seat taco gusset into it to give me the clearance I need. Now I just gotta harvest some shekels after the "other" bike gets here in 2 weeks and then I can get started on my clown wheel bike.
    Very nice!.... so you'll finally get a V

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Just how many bikes do you have? I think you may have more then Aaron! I have bike envy......

Will someone post a picture of the green El Bastardo? was it Army Green or Grinch Green?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    Just how many bikes do you have? I think you may have more then Aaron! I have bike envy......

Will someone post a picture of the green El Bastardo? was it Army Green or Grinch Green?

oh yeah.. TiE is bike-sick and his stable is super sick! Ti everywhere....until now

Ti is addictive

When I get home I'll post a pic......its neither green.....custom one off I think.....lotsa sparkles and lotsa different colour variations at different angles.

I currently only have 6 bikes right now.....1 on the way, and one in the planning stages (the Padrino). My wife is the only one with a Ventana right now.

Welcome Turner Homers!

So...it's a....

....bike with alot of the mommentum-inducing attributes of the 29er with the flickbility of a 26er? I think I've found my next bike. I'll christen it at Mammoth this summer.....assuming Aaron makes the arrangements for the trip....Aaron?

of the bag. Ventana will be producing a 650B I will have to put that on my short list, ole'
    Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

So is your face
    Mmmm. That is pretty sweet. Very enticing.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

Captain Underpants
    Sweet! If it comes with 5" of travel I just may pony up for one instead of a 'Moto. When available, of course.

The only problem -- a dearth of fork and tire options right now. I cannot bring myself to buy another WB fork. Give me another option, please.

Though Kirk has done a great job of bringing some pretty decent tires to market so quickly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

It's true

Yep it is a 5" bike. I was also at the show and talked to Sherwood and Theresa. They say that it's basically a Ciclon with slightly adjusted geometry.

And I had just about settled on a new Ciclon...

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by cmckim
    Yep it is a 5" bike. I was also at the show and talked to Sherwood and Theresa. They say that it's basically a Ciclon with slightly adjusted geometry.

And I had just about settled on a new Ciclon...
    The El Ciclon is a great bike.......I don't think I would ever sell mine. I'm sure forks for the 650B bikes will be limited to WB for this year......not sure the non-modular forks can switch that fast due to tooling costs.

not so super...
    TiEndo - your V clown bike will of course need some Ti. Might I suggest...

Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    The El Martillo CX they took to NAHBS was hot!!! They must have none I live in P town and been bugging them about a SS El Martillo CX.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Ti is addictive
    TiEndo - your V clown bike will of course need some Ti. Might I suggest...

That headset was damn sexy....CC had one at the show on display.....but yeesh the price kinda scared me off.....will go with a CK Ti instead and a Erickson Seatpost and Ti railed saddle for the same price as that one headset....I don't need wood to get wood.

Captain Underpants
    That 110 HS should be perfect on an Ellsworth . . .

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    The only problem -- a dearth of fork and tire options right now. I cannot bring myself to buy another WB fork. Give me another option, please.
    Manitou in 09.

Velocity makes a fat 28mm wide disc rim now.

I'm sure others are going to follow. How many? Don't know yet. The industry is a little more open to this idea. Nobody wants to miss out like they did with 29ers.
    Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    I'm sure others are going to follow. How many? Don't know yet. The industry is a little more open to this idea. Nobody wants to miss out like they did with 29ers.
    This plateform will give those slow movers (Specialized) a chance to jump in early.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    [QUOTE=el Turtlehead.assuming Aaron makes the arrangements for the trip....Aaron? [/QUOTE]

Working on it....
    Expect an email...
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 02-15-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Like your frame, the wood inlay will eventually crack.

Captain Underpants
    Manitou in 09.

Velocity makes a fat 28mm wide disc rim now.

You would have to bring up the Manitou . . . .

And I like the look of that Velocity rim. A lot. I'm sure it could handle my fat carcass. And to be honest, Pacienti has at least one tire that I like.

Looks like my pathetic excuses are no match for you, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by shatbirdbicycle
    Like your frame, the wood inlay will eventually crack.
    Doubtless that will make it only 100% efficient then- not 110%.

Homey don't play that!
    I heard today that Stan's (No Tubes) is working on a rim. The list is growing.

I've got some project ideas in mind. Maybe a 659er.
    Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance.

Captain Underpants
    I've got some project ideas in mind. Maybe a 659er.
    656er. For those that need to take baby steps

You heard it here first.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001

Almost! 7 working bikes... 1 frame hanging on the wall. And a 6th Ventana frame in the planning stages for late summer purchase.

Also, talked to Sherwood. The Green bike was his personal Bruja that I've put pictures up before of. The other Bastardo at the show (the one at the Ventana Booth and pictures are available at Red Barn's Blog) was black with Silver Sparkles http://bikes-in-a-barn.blogspot.com/.
    Not sure where the green color came up from.

-A
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ordered one up, this will actually be my first FS bike..

I am totally pumped for the reasons mentioned here... I have been in an endless cycle of indecision and research for the last 4-6 months on which bike and whether a 29er.. What I was after was basically just this, a El Ciclon but tweaked to run the larger tire. I am 6'5 so 29er makes sense but was having issues with size and wheelbase and weird geometry stuff and lack of 5" options and drawbacks from running 29er as a trail bike... I am building up a 29er single speed currently, and definitely psyched with the decision so far and will be moving away from 26" in general other than my townie... Only thing is all the tires I have and will have that are not compatible with each other

On the fork discussion, the wheel/tire fits a slew of 26" forks including Fox. It has some rubbing at absolute full compression but seems to be OK for now... It is covered in the 650b section including a thread I started a couple days ago. I will be running the WB fork personally, most likely, mostly just to get a through axle option...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sweet! I've been wanting a 650B since summer. I've got a Salty frame laying around since I got my Rey. I was thinking about trying to convert my Salt to a 650B but wasn't sure if it would work out... I guess I'll be selling the Salt now.

Any idea when it'll hit the market?
    Enter to Win a Vassago Frame and support the fight against childhood cancer

MTB Path, Southeastern mountain bikers

I think I read in another thread that they might be available from March...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yea, this is great news! I've been wanting a 650B for quite some time.
    I contacted Teresa and she confirmed it for me, so I'll be getting mine once I can unload my Salty frame.

Here's Teresa's response:
    Hi Michael,
    It is true that we are going to be selling El Bastardo 650b frame. Right now Sherwood is working all the final numbers so I donít have geometry details or pricing yet. It should be available mid- to late-March.

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    The other Bastardo at the show (the one at the Ventana Booth and pictures are available at Red Barn's Blog) was black with Silver Sparkles http://bikes-in-a-barn.blogspot.com/.
    Not sure where the green color came up from.

-A

Lack of sleep, dry eyes, barley and hops in ones bloodwork and looking at a hundred paint jobs can really affect ones perception of colours. I looked at my pics again and yes it is black.......My bad.

But I want that color for the Padrino.......

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    But I want that color for the Padrino.......

No doubt, seen it, love it. Was thinking Flat Black for my new Salt, but liking this one too.... ah the tuff decisions one has to make!
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well I'm selling my Salty frame so I'll have some cash to go towards an El Bastardo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can reiterate this too, they are saying mid-late Marchish. The good news is I ordered up a WB fork today too and will get a 130mm... Totally pumped..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Pumped, talked to Kurt today for a while all about it, confirmed a lot of my opinions about 650b as the "opposite" - a big guy riding 650b bikes versus a 29er. Also about his tires (and ordered some up)... Cannot wait to get this bike rolling

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    Pumped, talked to Kurt today for a while all about it, confirmed a lot of my opinions about 650b as the "opposite" - a big guy riding 650b bikes versus a 29er. Also about his tires (and ordered some up)... Cannot wait to get this bike rolling

Were you talking to Kirk Pacenti ? Did he give you his impressions of the El Bastardo ( I heard he has one ) ? Can you reply or is this info top secret until the frame is officially released ? TIG.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    He did, but nothing mind blowing, everything that is pretty much in this thread.

He had some great comments about 650b versus 29er that seem to make a lot of sense and whay 650b I think has a lot of merit... I'm building my first 29er as we speak so I don't have a lot of time on them but all of his comments make sense and seem to align with my opinions and what I know about bike geometry and characteristics etc, IMO.

My issue and why I was so willing to buy this bike right away after months of researching geometry of full suspension 29ers is there is not a good way to build a good full suspension 29er of 5" other than Devin Lenz's technique (short stays, bent seat post as a result). I was hooked and fully sold on the 29er thing for a while, and I do think they are an ideal cross country bike, and I certainly commend those guys riding hard with full suspension 29ers. And there is nothing wrong with that and honestly is there a way to lose? Probably not...

But I think that the tried and proven geometry of 5" trail bikes from 26er technology, which are basically cross country bikes these days by most people's standards, is where its at and you just can't do it with a 29er without long-ass stays. A lot of people (and companies it seems) are getting really into 650b for a lot of reasons. Again I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, a 29er would fit me great at 6'5. But the geometry of a 650b bike (which is basically 26er trailbike geometry with larger wheels) seems much better. And it is risky and very unlike me to hop on something "new" but again I'm sold and feel that I'm making the right decision. Also his comments on the performance of the tire seem awesome to me. I haven't ridden the tire yet but just the cornering and traction, has be really psyched.

I am not writing anything off, and I think each have their strengths, and in fact just exploring, but am super happy with my decision and imagine I will be even more so shortly once I am on it I just packed up a gorgeous Turner Sultan frame that I just sold and while it is genuinely an awesome frame and bike, I am beyond pumped from what will come out of the geometry and characteristics of this El Bastardo
    Last edited by dieselcruiserhead; 02-19-2008 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Also mental slip, Kirk Kirk not Kurt... Somehow I typed Kurt but I meant Kirk...

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    He did, but nothing mind blowing, everything that is pretty much in this thread. He had some great comments about 650b versus 29er that seem to make a lot of sense and whay 650b I think has a lot of merit... I'm building my first 29er as we speak so I don't have a lot of time on them but all of his comments make sense and seem to align with mine and what I know about bike geometry and characteristics etc, IMO. My issue and why I was so willing to buy this bike right away after months of researching geometry of full suspension 29ers is there is not a good way to build a good full suspension 29er of 5" other than Devin Lenz's technique (short stays, bent seat post as a result). I was hooked and fully sold on the 29er thing for a while, and I do think they are an ideal cross country bike, and I certainly comment those guys riding hard with full suspension 29ers. And there is nothing wrong with that am honestly is there a way to lose? Probably not... But I think that the tried and proven geometry of 5" trail bikes from 26er technology, which are basically cross country bikes these days by most people's standards, is where its at and you just can't do it with a 29er without long-ass stays. A lot of people (and companies it seems) are getting really into 650b for a lot of reasons. Again I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, a 29er would fit me great at 6'5. But the geometry of a 650b bike (which is basically 26er trailbike geometry with larger wheels) seems much better. And it is risky and very unlike me to hop on something "new" but again I'm sold and feel that I'm making the right decision. Also his comments on the performance of the tire seem awesome to me. I haven't ridden the tire yet but just the cornering and traction, has be really psyched.

I am not writing anything off, and I think each have their strengths, and in fact just exploring, but am super happy with my decision and imagine I will be even more so shortly once I am on it I just packed up a gorgeous Turner Sultan frame that I just sold and while it is genuinely an awesome frame and bike, I am beyond pumped from what will come out of the geometry and characteristics of this El Bastardo

Cool.................it has my interest for sure ( lookin forward to hearing more about it in the future ) ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I can't wait to hear you feedback on the V 650B. I had been holding on to my Salty and was thinking about setting it up as a 650B, but once I saw this thread I decided to sell it. I've got a Rey and Padrino and really dig the whole 29er thing a lot, but since I'm only 5'6" tall I think a 650B would be a great fit for my height. Plus I miss some of the handling characteristics of a 26er at times. I think a 650B would be a perfect blend of a 26er and 29er. Post up your thoughts once you get some time in the saddle!

PS: how tall are you? Did your height have anything to do with the decision to buy?

He did, but nothing mind blowing, everything that is pretty much in this thread.

He had some great comments about 650b versus 29er that seem to make a lot of sense and whay 650b I think has a lot of merit... I'm building my first 29er as we speak so I don't have a lot of time on them but all of his comments make sense and seem to align with my opinions and what I know about bike geometry and characteristics etc, IMO.

My issue and why I was so willing to buy this bike right away after months of researching geometry of full suspension 29ers is there is not a good way to build a good full suspension 29er of 5" other than Devin Lenz's technique (short stays, bent seat post as a result). I was hooked and fully sold on the 29er thing for a while, and I do think they are an ideal cross country bike, and I certainly commend those guys riding hard with full suspension 29ers. And there is nothing wrong with that am honestly is there a way to lose? Probably not...

But I think that the tried and proven geometry of 5" trail bikes from 26er technology, which are basically cross country bikes these days by most people's standards, is where its at and you just can't do it with a 29er without long-ass stays. A lot of people (and companies it seems) are getting really into 650b for a lot of reasons. Again I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, a 29er would fit me great at 6'5. But the geometry of a 650b bike (which is basically 26er trailbike geometry with larger wheels) seems much better. And it is risky and very unlike me to hop on something "new" but again I'm sold and feel that I'm making the right decision. Also his comments on the performance of the tire seem awesome to me. I haven't ridden the tire yet but just the cornering and traction, has be really psyched.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

what fork is that?

what fork are they running on the 650b?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by psOption3
    what fork are they running on the 650b?
    White Bros. Both Kirk and Sherwood's bikes are running a 650 variant from White Bros.

Looks like both are thru-axle as well.
    -Aaron G.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast