Space Ghost

How much Ventana for $750

A bit of a copy from the Canzo thread, but the price was too right. Picked up the frame Fri. night. Rode my Bandersnatch this morning and broke the der. hanger and der. Was going to use the Bander for a solo race next Sun. ....but, since I would have to get a new hanger shipped to me and gotta replace the der. anyway, I figured why not just build this bad boy and see what happens. First off, I weighed the frame and was hugely disappointed. She came in at 7 lbs. 7 oz. for the 21". My '09 RIP frame was 7 lbs. 8 oz. I guess, since Competitive Cyclist listed the weight at 6.25 lbs and MTBR listed the shootout frame at 6.35, I was hoping for 6.5-6.75, but oh well. The fit and finish reminded me of my 1st gen Turner Sultan. If you haven't owned a Ventana before (this is my 1st, never seen one in person either) the tubeset is beyond beefy looking. Anyway, got it built with little problem. It is a 1x9 with Hope/Flow wheels. Came in at 28 lbs. on the nose. Hopefully get more than a neighborhood ride tomorrow. Going back to suspension is a little different. OK, on to the pics:

"No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    That will be a a perfect bike for the FLA trail systems.
    I "releaved" myself of my RIP 9 last summer for a El Chucho 69er. That was the best move Ive made in a long time. The "V" bikes hold up to harsh riding and gnarly rocks/ST out here in NM.
    4 of my riding buddys have Venatas and they ROCK on those bikes,,,The "V" is a Strong Bike, built right is is a stable ride for either AM and XC. So dont worry about this being your FIRST "V"....
    The real test for me was pedaling the V up to the top of Ravens Ridge (12K feet). The 69 did great ...better than the RIP 9 ever did. The DH was SWEET (5-6K of gnarly DH
    I did make a few upgrades to my El Chucho...Larger seat tube to fit my Joplin and a Cane Creek Double Barrel in place of the RP23. Making the shock swap was pricey but the 69 performs even better than it did originally. It still climbs great and the CUSHION is very predictable and stable. I always bottomed the RP23 regardless of the air pressure (yes it was functioning properly) ....Now its like riding BUTTER. The weight is not an issue for me cause we pack more than you can imagine for most rides. 100% full H2O and a few brews and spare parts.....so the weight evens out out a few pit stops.
    Bottomline the "V" badge is a great bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

El Rey

I bought the same frame as I couldn't pass up the CC deal. Just waiting on the fork and wheelset to come in and we'll be rolling....