mtbr member
    Feb 2006

How long before you get tempted.....

by the fruit of another ?!!!

I am (or perhaps used to be a serial bike swapper)

Instead of a 7 year itch - I normally need to scratch at about 12 mnths.....

I've owned lots of lovely bikes but last January ordered a new El Ciclon from Alan here in the UK...

Well a few things have caught my eye - an Ibis Mojo (not sure about carbon bikes yet) and the new *cough* Enduro does look impressive......

But I'm not tempted yet - anyone else suffer from the same illness and been cured by Ventana ?

BUT - I'm like a magpie me - attracted by new shineyness..... perhaps some new forks for the El Ciclon ???

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    In the past 16 months I've gone from a Specialized FSR XC Pro to an Enduro Expert then to a Yeti 575 and finally, a few months ago, I joined the V-train and got a Ventana El Ciclon from Larry @ Mountain High Cyclery. I think I'll be staying put for a while now. I absofreakinlutely love this bike! But yeah, I also suffer from that illness, I love shiny new stuff. UGI is very addictive!

A Nice fork sounds like the move I'd make! How a bout a sweet Marzocchi 55 ATA?

Captain Underpants
    Hi. I'm RD and I'm a bikeaholic . . . .

My story;

Speccy Epic->Turner Flux->On One Inbred-> Turner Sultan-> Ventana El Padrino.

My switching has mostly been about finding the right fit, though I will admit to being bitten by the 29er bug. So far, the fit on the El Pad is just about perfect and the bike is perfect for most of the riding I do, so no switching for me. Plus I am so impressed by the construction and quality of the El Pad that I doubt I would buy another frame unless it was a Ventana (or Turner). At some point, I'll want a full squish 29er and will look at what Turner and Ventana have to offer. If I go with a 6" travel bike it will be the Terremoto, period.

Word on the Enduro is that the Speccy proprietary fork in its first iteration had major problems, at least that's what my pals at the Speccy showroom tell me.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I think FoShizzle would be the one to consult on this issue. The more I lurk around the halls of mtbr.com the more I would like to try this or try that.....knowing dam well I can't buy every bike I lust after. It's been 12 months and counting since I purchased my El Ciclon.......I'm starting to feel it....but I want Titanium

I think a new fork would dress it up.....get a Totem

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yep - 12 months seems to be the tricky point......

totem on an El Ciclon ??!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    • Cannondale M900
      Trek Carbon hardtail
      current ride: Intense Tracer

now I dont know what the heck to get, so much stuff out, nothing seems bad anymore thanks to things like propedal and multiple pivots

In FTF We Trust
    It just comes with the territory I think. I've got a fleet of nice bikes, but can't help but keep adding to and changing the lineup. I kind of took it easy this year, I've just added a Pugsley in June, got a new Totem 2-Step for my SuperMoto in September, received my El Comandante frame on Halloween and got that built up and just got a Canfield from the man in brown this week. I've got a Crosscheck planned too but that one will get tallied in '08. Just when I say I couldn't be happier with my bikes I jinx myself.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    I think its even harder to get rid of old bikes than to buy new bikes.

I'm pretty happy with my T'moto as far as FS bikes go. I've been tempted to build up a really really light FS climbing machine .. but probably not too practical for the riding I like to do.
    You know what I would love to see.. a lighter, shorter travel version of the terremoto. maybe 2-3" travel in the back, just enough to have traction on the climbs and take the edge off the hits, but still have a 68 degree HA and maybe be 6.3lbs with an rp23. Yes there are those 4x frames, but those are definitely not trail oriented. But something like a yeti 4x with a straight, taller ST, trail-riding BB height and TT length.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    I normally cycled through bikes at aout 2 years. Then bought the El Feugo.

Hasn't happened in a while since.

It's not going anywhere. But now I want a new bike. Thinking X-5, but need to figure out where to put it before I buy it.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    One year. Sadly.

I love my Salt. that I picked up in fall of '06 but I too have recently developed some bad UGI. I'm looking to off load a few items (Waterford 2400 & a brand new never built/ridden '06 Stump hardtail frame and if needed my Romany too) and build up two burlier rides. Been thinking of an Evil Sovereign & an RFX or Terra. Still need to sort out the right fit and build. Not to mention, funds without being brow beaten by the better half.

May we all find a cure.

GG
    I figure the odds be fifty-fifty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    Anyone else suffer from the same illness and been cured by Ventana ?
    Yep... seemed like I jumped from one bike to another year after year, some times two bikes, even three one year.

During the year I bought three, one of them was a Pantera... I got it for a discount. Built it up and parked it in the corner of the garage for the wife and as a backup for myself. It sat there and collected dust for 6 months with just a couple of rides on it by the wife.

During this time, I had sold one of the other three bikes and only had two left, a Yeti 575 and the Pantera. Then one weekend I tore down my Yeti to do some maintance. That weekend I finally rode the Pantera and absolutely loved it. I never built my Yeti back up, I sold the frame. I rode my Pantera for 3 years and finally sold it back in May of this year so I could buy a Salty, but I didn't stop there, I got a El Rey too.

As for the swapper illness... not sure if I'm cured, but at least I know I'll dig my addition!

mtbr member
    I actually have developped a bit of a complication. Instead of continiously swapping bikes like any normal person, right? At a reasonnable pace, a bike a year or so. I bought 2 ventanas in one year and somewhat want the whole V line-up at home now. A dream rendered almost accessible , wait no, no no.

I have an ET and a Chiquillo...might get a commandante or a toro if ever a good bargains pops up.

Is that wrong?
    Last edited by Mr Bling; 12-17-2007 at 12:16 AM.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bling

I have an ET and a Chiquillo...might get a commandante or a toro if ever a good bargains pops up.
    Thats my philosophy now--wait for a good bargain. After being the source of bargains for so many others, it is my turn to be the bargain shopper. If I ever see an El Rey in my size on FleaBay, I'll be all over it.

But I think that Ventana has cured my problem for now.

Team Chilidog!
    Other than thinking of investing in a Chiquillo in addition to El Tigre, most likely not. It would be nice to have hardtail for some of the smooth stuff 'round here.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women