Code Burr

How custom will ventana go?

I know Ventana will do custom geo but i'm wondering if what I'm after is possible.
    What about an El Ciclon w a
    67h and a 73s angles
    and a horizontal shock placement? Something similar to a transition preston or banshee spitfire.
    thx

Proud lame eBiker
    I'm sure you can get tubing lengths and angles just as you want them.

But a horizontal shock position? Don't think so. Why?

But then again, if you reeaallyy have to have that shock position, and are willing to pay, and wait, you might be in business. But I highly doubt you'd want to pay for all the machine/design time for a fully one-off custom rig that's not going to do anything better than a verticle position.

World is your oyster, are you ready to pay for that pearl you think you need?

Just saying....
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Code Burr
    I've ridden 3 turners w vertical shocks and a few others w horizontal and the horizontals always seem to handle better to me. Of course the horizontal shock bikes had different geometry and that means a lot. But It seems that the horizontal shock creates a different feel that I prefer. It seems to favor stability and easy handling instead of flickability and counter steer, IDK its hard to really pinpoint it and it could be all in my head. I'll leave it to the experts to explain, I just like the horizontal shock feel over the vert. Is it worth an extra 3-400? Probably not, and since it would require different rockers that figure is probably not realistic.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    If you are willing to spend the money then I am sure Sherwood would be willing to work with you. One way to find out is call the mothership

Proud lame eBiker
    nine one six, six three one, zero five, four four.
    extension two zero three will get you to Teresa and she'll decide if you're worthy of a live conversation with the King.

I kid I kid, she'll patch you right through.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze
    I know Ventana will do custom geo but i'm wondering if what I'm after is possible.
    What about an El Ciclon w a
    67h and a 73s angles
    and a horizontal shock placement? Something similar to a transition preston or banshee spitfire.
    thx
    Wow, and I thought I had crazy requests

I'm sure the angles Sherwood can do, but he'll explain to you what he will or won't do and why. Those are very specific geometry requests, do they match something in particular?

The only thing I don't see Sherwood doing is the horizontal shock placement, but I'm not Sherwood and I don't speak for him, but I'd love to hear what he has to say on this. Please let us know.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Maybe Sherwood can bust out some old Marble Peak shock placement designs.

Shot Down in Flames...
    A Marble Peak Freak is what you are after. Call Teresa.

D.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Too funny. Just eve's dropping but I still ride my 1998 Marble Peak. Sill love it... although I would love a Ventana FS 29er too! Hopefully before he retires.

Code Burr
    Right orientation, wrong tube though. Think this, but in Ventana flavor,

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    My Ciclon has 66h and 74s angles. Standard shock placement though. I would try out a Ventana before trying to reinvent the wheel. Sherwood put some thought into that linkage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Would be interesting to know if the OP ever contacted Ventana, and what their reply was.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin
    My Ciclon has 66h and 74s angles. Standard shock placement though. I would try out a Ventana before trying to reinvent the wheel. Sherwood put some thought into that linkage.
    Ok, dumb question for you. I know what changing the HA does. What did changing the ST do for you? You went from a 73.4 to a 74 degree (making it straighter, I assume). Just curious.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    Ok, dumb question for you. I know what changing the HA does. What did changing the ST do for you? You went from a 73.4 to a 74 degree (making it straighter, I assume). Just curious.
    When you raise the seatpost to "pedaling" height, it keeps you more forward on the bike than if you allowed it to slack (or move the seat more aft) with the head angle change. It makes the bike pedal really well while having a slack head angle.

Code Burr
    Quote Originally Posted by Okayfine
    Would be interesting to know if the OP ever contacted Ventana, and what their reply was.
    Nope, never called them. I sniffed around the web and saw the prices for custom work was a bit much for me. At the time I was po'd with Banshee for stocking my spitfire with the wrong shock and taking a month to get it fixed but its all worked out. I'd love to demo a ciclon at some point in time.