Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    hellraiser
    Reputation: coach#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    72

    Help with sizing El Rey

    Hi folks,

    I'm leaning towards getting an El Rey for 24 hour racing and hard trail riding. I'm a bit unsure on the frame size to get. I'm 6' tall with a 34.5" inseam. My wingspan is almost 75" so I have proportionally longer arms and legs compared with my torso.
    I'm thinking the 19" frame will fit but I could go to the 21". Is it better to go with a smaller frame and adjust with a longer stem if needed, or go with the larger frame and shorten the stem if needed?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Coach
    eh?

  2. #2
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,584
    Best to discuss it with Sherwood directly. Seems you may be a tweener and could possibly benefit from a custom frame.

  3. #3
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by coach#1
    Hi folks,

    I'm leaning towards getting an El Rey for 24 hour racing and hard trail riding. I'm a bit unsure on the frame size to get. I'm 6' tall with a 34.5" inseam. My wingspan is almost 75" so I have proportionally longer arms and legs compared with my torso.
    I'm thinking the 19" frame will fit but I could go to the 21". Is it better to go with a smaller frame and adjust with a longer stem if needed, or go with the larger frame and shorten the stem if needed?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Coach
    about my stats......my sense, if you are unfortunately anythign like me, is that semi-custom would be best...at least it is for me given the stock geo numbers and my preferences.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    To maintain standover, I'd get a large with a slightly longer toptube. Maybe the 19" frame (to maintain standover) with a 24.4 Toptube or something like that.

    I am 5'11 with a 34" inseam. My armspan is 73.5" and I'd probably get a 19" frame with a 24.4 TT if I went custom. You have even longer arms so you could possibly use the 21" frame's TT of 24.7. Just ask Sherwood and give him your stats. He is a very good judge of who should be on which size frame.

  5. #5
    Neg reppers r my biatches
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    To maintain standover, I'd get a large with a slightly longer toptube. Maybe the 19" frame (to maintain standover) with a 24.4 Toptube or something like that.

    I am 5'11 with a 34" inseam. My armspan is 73.5" and I'd probably get a 19" frame with a 24.4 TT if I went custom. You have even longer arms so you could possibly use the 21" frame's TT of 24.7. Just ask Sherwood and give him your stats. He is a very good judge of who should be on which size frame.
    indeed....my Comandante needed to be Large/XL (ie, large length seattube, XL length top tube) semi-custom to fit the way I like it. I WISH this was the stock spec instead. My ONLY complaint with Ventana is the geo but I defer to Sherwood of course as to what the better geometry is for the majority of riders......just sucks that other manufacturers' frames tempt me cuz its their stock geo in some cases and not having to pay semi custom upgrade is nice

  6. #6
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,204

    Yeah

    "When you're through f*@kin' around, you call Sherwood!" - D-Rock

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigdrunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,865
    I'm 6"1" w/32" inseam. I bought an XL knowing good and well the size large would not have a top tube long enough for me.

    Last season I rode with a straight post, seat back on the rails and a 120mm stem. It felt only OK.

    This season I went to a layback post, and a 110mm stem. Feels spot on now (for me).

    My advice, choose the size frame with the top tube you are used to riding now. I've now bought 4 29ers, all with seat tube + top tube measurements that are damn close if not exact to the 26ers I used to ride.

  8. #8
    hellraiser
    Reputation: coach#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    72
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I did talk to Sherwood and he said I could could go with a stock 19", but then he figured 21" or semi custom...

    I wasn't really helpful to him other than giving him my measurements. I've never had a 21" bike and my current bike is a medium frame (which I think is maybe too small). Truth is I'm not sure I've ever had the right size bike. I'm not a big geek about sizing so I couldn't really tell him what I was after...I just want something that will fit and that I can hammer on all day and all night for 24 hours (relatively) comfortably.

    If I'm not sure exactly what I want, is it worth going semi custom? Or would I not notice the difference between one of the stock sizes. I'll probably call Sherwood again once I've figured out a better idea of what I want.

    Please keep recomendations coming.

    Cheers,

    Coach
    eh?

  9. #9
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,171

    I recently did the same thing

    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I'm 6"1" w/32" inseam. I bought an XL knowing good and well the size large would not have a top tube long enough for me.

    Last season I rode with a straight post, seat back on the rails and a 120mm stem. It felt only OK.

    This season I went to a layback post, and a 110mm stem. Feels spot on now (for me).

    My advice, choose the size frame with the top tube you are used to riding now. I've now bought 4 29ers, all with seat tube + top tube measurements that are damn close if not exact to the 26ers I used to ride.

    I think im liking the rearward shift..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

  10. #10
    Submit to your ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    481
    Just do like I did and demo the El Rey from Competitive Cyclist for $200 all included. I'm 6'1" with longish arms and was riding a 21" El Cap which is a BIG bike and felt that I could fit into to the next size down for my next frame and demo'ed the 19" from CC. It fit fine..go with the smaller frame, IMO.

    Be prepared, though, to switch out the stem if you try one. The one they used was pretty stubby...


    Quote Originally Posted by coach#1
    Hi folks,

    I'm leaning towards getting an El Rey for 24 hour racing and hard trail riding. I'm a bit unsure on the frame size to get. I'm 6' tall with a 34.5" inseam. My wingspan is almost 75" so I have proportionally longer arms and legs compared with my torso.
    I'm thinking the 19" frame will fit but I could go to the 21". Is it better to go with a smaller frame and adjust with a longer stem if needed, or go with the larger frame and shorten the stem if needed?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Coach

  11. #11
    hellraiser
    Reputation: coach#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    72
    OK so I've done some more number crunching. I used the fit calculator at the Competative Cyclist website and my measurements indicated the following: That my standover height range should be range from 32.7 to 33.4 inches (21" El Rey frame is 32.8 inches). My ideal effective top tube length lies between 24.1 and 24.5 inches. This lies exactly in between the 19" frame ( 23.9 inches) and the 21" frame (24.7 inches).

    Comparing the recommendations with my current ride they confirmed what I suspected - that my current frame's effective top tube is around an inch too short.

    So.... from this calculation it would appear that ideally I should get a semi custom job with the same standover as the 21" frame and with a 'tweener effective top tube somewhere around 24.3 inches?

    ...
    eh?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd go with a 24.3 TT and run a 27"-28" bar with a 90mm stem. The wider bar will allow you to run a shorter stem and still not be cramped and you can still run a narrower bar and sit more upright.

    I think the Ventanas have slightly shorter TTs than stated so definitely discuss this in detail with Sherwood. My Flux had a 24.2 ETT while the Salty had a 24.7 ETT. However, while the Flux measured 24.2-24.3, the Salty was closer to 23.3 or 23.4 max.

  13. #13
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,565

    Keep the Seat tube angle in mind

    Quote Originally Posted by coach#1
    OK so I've done some more number crunching. I used the fit calculator at the Competative Cyclist website and my measurements indicated the following: That my standover height range should be range from 32.7 to 33.4 inches (21" El Rey frame is 32.8 inches). My ideal effective top tube length lies between 24.1 and 24.5 inches. This lies exactly in between the 19" frame ( 23.9 inches) and the 21" frame (24.7 inches).

    Comparing the recommendations with my current ride they confirmed what I suspected - that my current frame's effective top tube is around an inch too short.

    So.... from this calculation it would appear that ideally I should get a semi custom job with the same standover as the 21" frame and with a 'tweener effective top tube somewhere around 24.3 inches?

    ...
    Remember El Rey's have steep seat tube angles. I'm 6'2'' w/ a 35.75 in inseam, and ride a 19" El Rey with a 110 stem, a seatpost w/lots of rear offset, and a long railed saddle to deal with the 74 degree seat-tube angle. I'm guessing that if you looked at where your saddle needs to be in relation to that "knee-over-the-pedal-spindle" dimension, the 19" would work. Have a look at that - it winds up effectively lengthening the top tube if you need to bias the saddle rearward. Good luck!

  14. #14
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Remember El Rey's have steep seat tube angles. I'm 6'2'' w/ a 35.75 in inseam, and ride a 19" El Rey with a 110 stem, a seatpost w/lots of rear offset, and a long railed saddle to deal with the 74 degree seat-tube angle. I'm guessing that if you looked at where your saddle needs to be in relation to that "knee-over-the-pedal-spindle" dimension, the 19" would work. Have a look at that - it winds up effectively lengthening the top tube if you need to bias the saddle rearward. Good luck!
    Here is a great article in reference to KOPs http://sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

    I suggest talking with Sherwood. I'm 6'3" with a 35in inseam....I would feel cramped on a 19" El Rey. I were to buy an El Rey......it would be a 21" with a custom top tube length....I'm a knuckle draggggggger.

  15. #15
    hellraiser
    Reputation: coach#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    72
    Just got off the phone with Sherwood again...

    Pulled the trigger on a semi custom frame. We decided on a build with the seat tube and head tube from the 21" frame and a 'tweener top tube of 24.3". Oh, and candy red - . I'm so excited I might pee myself.

    Thanks for all the feedback. Sherwood and Teresa were wonderful to deal with. It's cool to be able to sit and chat with the man himself.

    Cheers,

    Coach
    eh?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    If you ever decide to sell that frame, it will fit me like a glove....

  17. #17
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,565

    Congratulations

    Congratulations. Good to read that you came up with something that's going to work for you. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results. And Sherwood and Teresa's customer service is second to none. El Rey's are great bikes!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    SAme problem here for a Padrino frame for a buddy who's 6.4 with a 38 inseam.

    I would call for a 24" but some argued against that.
    any opinions?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    could anyone confirm this size?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    59

    I have had an 21 inch El Rey for a week

    I have been trying to post a reply but haven't received an activation code until today!

    I have had an 21 inch El Rey for a week. I am 6'1" and dont know my inseam, but my legs are proportionately shorter than my arms. I thought about getting a 19, but demo'd the 21 for a week and it felt fine. I did not even think about a custom build.

    Being a 29er it was taller, but the geometry was comparable to my old 20" el habanero. I usually like to ride the smallest frame possible, but the 19 felt like my wife's bike. Plus, I set it up with a smaller stem and wider bars which made it a much more comfortable ride.

    Overall, I am happy with the bike, extremely happy. I wasn't sure about the 29er, but now that I have 100 miles in the saddle, I feel I made the right choice.

    BTW, I bought my first Ventana in 96, and they accepted that frame as a trade in on the el rey, I saved 30% off MSRP.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd go with a 24.3 TT and run a 27"-28" bar with a 90mm stem. The wider bar will allow you to run a shorter stem and still not be cramped and you can still run a narrower bar and sit more upright.

    I think the Ventanas have slightly shorter TTs than stated so definitely discuss this in detail with Sherwood. My Flux had a 24.2 ETT while the Salty had a 24.7 ETT. However, while the Flux measured 24.2-24.3, the Salty was closer to 23.3 or 23.4 max.
    Although I have not actually measured mine, I too believe this to be true. I also have a Dos niner XL which should run almost 0.25" shorter that the El Ray but it the Elray feels smaller.
    On that note of campairing bikes, I forgot what it's like to have to climb up on a FS bike after riding a wee suspension rig like the Dos. I dismounted and hiked a section today then had to....TRIED to mount the bike from the downhill side. The saddle was at my nippies and I cannot kick my leg nippy high.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,416
    Yikes- I just saw that I mistyped my measurement for the Salty. I meant to say that my Salty had a 23.7 ETT (not 24.7) but regardless, the TT was slightly over an inch longer on the Flux though it should have been less than half an inch longer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •