Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497

    Help Recover An Astray Project

    Some builds work out flawlessly others need a little encouragement. This would be the later. After almost a year and a half off with various surgeries I'm finally back and riding, and loving the old Bruja of course. Originally I was on an 04 witch 17" with a 23" top tube which was just a bit cramped with a 75mm stem. A 23.3 - .4 tt would be perfect for me but I thought I could make due as I did not want to run a long stem on a 6" bike and mess up the geometry.

    When a fellow mtbr'r had a 19" front triangle for sale several months ago, I jumped at the opportunity and finally got around to building it up today. My plan was to see which one I liked the most and sell the other or have a back up. Can't have too many bikes, right? While the tt length is perfect for me with a 50-70mm stem, I have 0 stand over. Actually negative stand over and that is not going to make it easy for the inevitable bail or crash. I had also put a 90mm stem on the 17" frame and it is working out fine, so it looks like the 19" might be going.

    So since I have a brand new HD rear triangle and 6" rockers and an original Bruja front I need some direction from some fellow Ventana riders. I am thinking about trading in the front tri for a Ciclon' but have some questions. Will a 150mm Z1 be too much for a Ciclon? Would a Ciclon be better built around a pike? Does the stock 5" Ciclon use a 2.25" stroke shock, or is it the 2"? I know I should just make the call but there is no hurry on this project and I could use some more insight. Thanks

  2. #2
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Ciclon Stock is 5" with 2.0 shock.

    I have a 17" old School Bruja and running a 90mm Stem as well.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  3. #3
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    I have a 17" old School Bruja and running a 90mm Stem as well.
    I still love that huge down tube even if it makes finding new shocks hard.

    If I went with a Ciclon would you recommend getting a new 2" shock or recycling a 2.25" dhs air?

  4. #4
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Ditch the DHS and get a 2.0" RP23.

    I love the old girl as is too, and I just got my old school Vanilla RC back from PUSH and
    OMGoodness!! WOW. Makes my 7 year old bike feel brand new.

    If you have the old Van C, get it Pushed. If you don't have one, buy a new one and at rebuild time have it Pushed, win win for the old Bruja either way!

    From Sunday's ride, Birthday Ride and Re-Birth ride for my old Girl...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  5. #5
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Ditch the DHS and get a 2.0" RP23.

    I love the old girl as is too, and I just got my old school Vanilla RC back from PUSH and
    OMGoodness!! WOW. Makes my 7 year old bike feel brand new.

    If you have the old Van C, get it Pushed. If you don't have one, buy a new one and at rebuild time have it Pushed, win win for the old Bruja either way!

    From Sunday's ride, Birthday Ride and Re-Birth ride for my old Girl...

    Its about time sheesh................the PUSHed Vanilla RC on my ole Bruja is still overall the best rear shock I've used compared to anything else I've ridden so far ! TIG.

  6. #6
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Its about time sheesh................the PUSHed Vanilla RC on my ole Bruja is still overall the best rear shock I've used compared to anything else I've ridden so far ! TIG.
    yeah i've been thinking about a ccdb for the 17" but 2 bones for a push reworking is substantially cheaper. just wasn't sure it would be as good. the ccdb is the only modern shock that seems to fit and performs well. i was not all that impressed with the dhs air or coil on this setup.

    the other route that I'm thinking is building a new terremoto to replace the supermoto. can a terremoto handle a 170mm marz66 eta?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,368

    ccdb/la bruja

    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Its about time sheesh................the PUSHed Vanilla RC on my ole Bruja is still overall the best rear shock I've used compared to anything else I've ridden so far ! TIG.

    i've been on a CCDB for the last couple of months. as impressed as i was when i got the old RC Pushed, well, the DB is absolutely the current king of shocks in my completely unqualified op. if you get a chance, try one. you'll be amazed.
    breezy shade

  8. #8
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    i've been on a CCDB for the last couple of months. as impressed as i was when i got the old RC Pushed, well, the DB is absolutely the current king of shocks in my completely unqualified op. if you get a chance, try one. you'll be amazed.
    I'd love to try one but there aren't too many around, but I think that I'm heading in that direction after speaking with Fox. They wanted 50 bones to ship a new "steel" spring for the Vanilla. Blahh... What happened to the days that you could pick up a spring for $20? Anyone got a 550 x 2.3 vanilla spring floating around? I could even trade you for a 500 if you lost some weight

  9. #9
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    I THINK I do, let me check the toy box tonight.
    I'm not losing weight anytime soon so it's your's if I have it.

    -A
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  10. #10
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    Its about time sheesh................the PUSHed Vanilla RC on my ole Bruja is still overall the best rear shock I've used compared to anything else I've ridden so far ! TIG.

    Yeah, yeah I know, but I was on this crusade to make Bruja more Trial friendly and getting it to below 34lbs, but then I realized it's a 9# frame, who CARES if it weighs 35#!!!

    So back came the RC and the aggro tires!


    I felt like I was on Monster Truck/Bike. I could roll over anything, it was soo much fun!
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  11. #11
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    I THINK I do, let me check the toy box tonight.
    I'm not losing weight anytime soon so it's your's if I have it.

    -A
    Happy to pay for it, thanks for checking.

  12. #12
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    I'm still trying to decide between an El Terramoto w/ a 170mm 66 or a Cinclon w/ a 150mm Z1. Both forks are 10mm over their built target and not sure if that will become a problem or not. With the new downtube and gusset on the Cinclon would it hold up to 4'ers and trail jumps? Basically stuff that is just exceeding the limits of my Switchblade w/ Talas. Decisions can be so hard.

  13. #13
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    yeah i've been thinking about a ccdb for the 17" but 2 bones for a push reworking is substantially cheaper. just wasn't sure it would be as good. the ccdb is the only modern shock that seems to fit and performs well. i was not all that impressed with the dhs air or coil on this setup.

    the other route that I'm thinking is building a new terremoto to replace the supermoto. can a terremoto handle a 170mm marz66 eta?

    Having never ridden a CCDB I can't answer that, but are you sure it fits? That's a pretty long Reservoir on there.

    But I have to say for the 2bills you pay to Push you do indeed get a new shock back. Save the $$$ of the CCDB for the Terremoto. Yeah, why not have both?

    I don't think 10mm will make much difference although Marz are still considerable taller A to C than other forks. It's not so much can the front Tri handle it, it's more that it will slacken the angles out more. 66 for the head I believe if you run the Marz.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  14. #14
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by CAO
    . With the new downtube and gusset on the Cinclon would it hold up to 4'ers and trail jumps? Basically stuff that is just exceeding the limits of my Switchblade w/ Talas. Decisions can be so hard.
    If I recall, Sherwood saw RSutton doing that on his Ciclon and told him to switch to a Terramoto front tri.

    (the 4' footers I'm refering to)
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  15. #15
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Having never ridden a CCDB I can't answer that, but are you sure it fits? That's a pretty long Reservoir on there.
    nhodge, are you running a ccdb on your la bruja? i can almost remember seeing pictures of it, was it a 17" as well?

    I've tested many shocks and very few with a reservoir fit the old girl. The measurements that I've taken look like a ccdb will fit but it is going to be close and I'd like to be sure.

  16. #16
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    If I recall, Sherwood saw RSutton doing that on his Ciclon and told him to switch to a Terramoto front tri.

    (the 4' footers I'm refering to)
    yeah that's what i've been contemplating. it would be nice to have a direct replacement or back up for the sb and i'd still have the bruja for more adventurous days. but then I think about a replacement for the supermoto. now that i got back into riding i want to change things up a bit.

  17. #17
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    i've been on a CCDB for the last couple of months. as impressed as i was when i got the old RC Pushed, well, the DB is absolutely the current king of shocks in my completely unqualified op. if you get a chance, try one. you'll be amazed.


    I'd love to try a CCDB on the Bruja..........fact is the PUSHed Vanilla RC is working great for me and can't justify the cost difference right now ! They must fit okay since I remember Chad from Red Barn sportin one on his Bruja as well ! TIG.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,368
    definately fits, but EXTREMELY tight. the pictures you may have seen were of the owner's
    bike of Red Barn Bicycles. you have got to turn the coil so it is "open" to fit the front derailure onto the bike. as it compresses the shock rocks forward to allow the compressed spring to not hit the front d. works just fine.
    breezy shade

  19. #19
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge
    definately fits, but EXTREMELY tight. the pictures you may have seen were of the owner's
    bike of Red Barn Bicycles. you have got to turn the coil so it is "open" to fit the front derailure onto the bike. as it compresses the shock rocks forward to allow the compressed spring to not hit the front d. works just fine.
    Wow that is close. Kinda scares me a bit after my Avalanche issue. I still don't see how the romic spring fit in there.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,368

    Pushed RC to CCDB

    [QUOTE=TIGMAN]I'd love to try a CCDB on the Bruja..........fact is the PUSHed Vanilla RC is working great for me and can't justify the cost difference right now !


    that's exactly how i felt before i tried the DB. it was the same thrill as getting the RC Pushed. but i know what you're saying since you are building up an Endorphin. very well may be my next move. gotta hear what you think between the two.
    breezy shade

  21. #21
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,148
    Jackpot! PM When you get a chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  22. #22
    CAO
    CAO is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    497
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo
    Jackpot! PM When you get a chance.
    WhoooHoooo, Thanks so much for looking and the hook up; please let me know if I can ever return the favor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •