Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    748

    Help! Play in rear triangle

    I recently did a (much overdue) replacement of my bearings. Took a few hours, but everything seemed to go smoothly

    However, I now have play at the bearing by the rear derailleur. If I pull outward on the seat stay near the bearing, it slides out 1-2mm. Doesn't sound like much, but definitely noticeable when cornering. I tried tightening up the bolt, but that's not the problem. I pulled off the bolt on that bearing and the one on the other side, separated the seat stays from the chain stays, and I find I can slide the two bearings in and out a bit inside their shell. I can't slide the other bearings at all - they have a very tight fit. So when the bolt is tightened down, the stay is sliding across the bearings a bit.

    What is going on? Seems like the "shell" is too big (but I didn't have this problem before) or the bearings too small. Did I just get some bearings that were a bit undersized? If so, maybe some other bearings would fix this. Can I fix it without replacing the new bearings? It seems like if I could "glue" them in, this would fix it, but of course I need to be able to get them out when I want to replace them. Would locktite work? Or some kind of friction paste? (I'm grasping at straws here!)

    Thanks for your help! I'm really enjoying the smooth suspension action now, but not enjoying that wiggle in the used-to-be solid rear triangle!

  2. #2
    Team Fearless Descender
    Reputation: El Salt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,970
    Silly / stupid question, but do you still have the old bearings? And, buy chance to you have access to a micormeter or caliper? Best would be to accurately measure the diameter of the new vs. old bearings. Also, did you use the Venatana bearing kit to remove / install the bearings (or very carefully do the swap?)?

    If you have no way of accurately measuring the bearings, you could try replacing with the old, and see if the slop goes away.

    I would stay away from any sort of "LocTite", unless you got the ok from Sherwood on that.

    Please keep us posted on this issue.
    .
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."


    Stuff

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Silly / stupid question, but do you still have the old bearings? And, buy chance to you have access to a micormeter or caliper? Best would be to accurately measure the diameter of the new vs. old bearings. Also, did you use the Venatana bearing kit to remove / install the bearings (or very carefully do the swap?)?

    If you have no way of accurately measuring the bearings, you could try replacing with the old, and see if the slop goes away.

    I would stay away from any sort of "LocTite", unless you got the ok from Sherwood on that.

    Please keep us posted on this issue.
    Thanks for the advice!

    I have calipers but the ones I have at home are not accurate enough for this. I'll see if I can get some that are more accurate. I do have the old bearings, and I agree it would be a good test to try to reinstall those. I didn't use the Ventana kit but I was careful and things went pretty smoothly. I did have trouble with one bearing starting to go in sideways (not sure which one), but stopped and got it straightened out. It doesn't seem like it could be that - both bearings slide in and out a couple of millimeters, which means it's a loose fit all the way to the bottom of the shell.

  4. #4
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,546
    Green LocTite.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    Green LocTite.
    Thanks for the advice!

    I've never used green loctite, but a quick Google search shows there are a couple of different kinds. Does it matter what kind? I presume I can get the bearings out once I use the loctite; anything special needed to get them out (I read about having the heat things up)?

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    318
    I had this problem when I went to change the bearings out on my Salty. One bearing would not stay in. Called our favorite bike maker and he suggested a drop of Loctite. Now there are different types of the product, some of which are specialy made for "filling-in" gaps where bearings go. There's a thin and a thicker (). I needed the ticker one. Cleaned everything up (and if I remember correctly) just put some on the rear triangle. slid the bearing in ... waited hardly anything and voilą! Crazy stuff !

    Can't wait for the bearing to go bad and have to go through the owners appreciation program to change frames

  7. #7
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,143
    Quote Originally Posted by moclan View Post
    I had this problem when I went to change the bearings out on my Salty. One bearing would not stay in. Called our favorite bike maker and he suggested a drop of Loctite. Now there are different types of the product, some of which are specialy made for "filling-in" gaps where bearings go. There's a thin and a thicker (). I needed the ticker one. Cleaned everything up (and if I remember correctly) just put some on the rear triangle. slid the bearing in ... waited hardly anything and voilą! Crazy stuff !

    Can't wait for the bearing to go bad and have to go through the owners appreciation program to change frames

    Green Loctite #680 "Retaining Compound". Never had to use it for a bike but have used it for other like reasons.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    748
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    Green Loctite #680 "Retaining Compound". Never had to use it for a bike but have used it for other like reasons.
    Thanks, I wasn't clear what kind of green loctite! But what about the next time I have to replace the bearings? Do you know how easy it would be to get them out after applying the loctite?

  9. #9
    Ultra Ventanaphile
    Reputation: Ciclistagonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    3,143
    A-B- I believe applied heat is the release method. I'll verify and report back.
    -Aaron G.

    "Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •