mtbr member
    May 2005

Help with 2014 El Ciclon set up

Long time Ventana rider, started out with a custom Marble Peak FS and am currently riding a El Chamuco. Ive been off the MTB for a couple years while focusing on MX riding. Caught the MTB bug again after a couple rides. Spoke with Teresa at Ventana and have decided to trade in the Chamuco and purchase a El Ciclon. My set up question is with the BB, crankset and gearing. BB30 vs PF30. Shimano, Sram, Raceface crankset. 2x9 or 3x9 gearing. Another thought, what bar and stem length and width.

Proud lame eBiker
    It has a PF30BB shell

If you're still running 9 out back, then stay with the triple....unless you want to ditch the big ring then instead run the 22-32-bash set up.

Shimano probably has the best crank/bb spindle interface. Otherwise, it's sort of a draw between the three manufacturers.

Stem length and bar width/rise are all personal items. Need more info. What size bike? You're height? Intended use for bike? How do you want your bike to ride? etc etc etc
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shimano XT crankset should be a good value. I checked dimensions and the only issue I see with the frame is the headtube which is about 9.65 mm taller, I want to use my current fork so I need to find a stem with a 35-40 mm stack height.
    I am using the bike for 90% Santa Cruz trail riding with the occasional visit to Northstar.

650b me
    I'd go with a 2x drivetrain. I believe the current El Ciclon is optimized for that. I have a bike with a 3x9 and another with a 1x10, but a 2x10 is ideal IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Whatever crankset you go with, I recommend ditching the supplied bottom bracket. I was originally running the previous generation XTR triple up front on a hope ceramic BB with the SRAM PF30 plastic adapters. Did not like the plastic adapters one bit.

I ended up with the praxisworks bottom bracket conversion kit. SO much better. Theory is that by maintaining ridgid alignment between the two outboard bearings (something the plastic PF30 adapters can't do), you'll have a much smoother running crank. Perhaps I could have screwed up the installation of the crankset, but when I ordered my frame from Red Barn, I had them ship it to me with PF30 adapters and BB installed. Difference with praxisworks BB (steel, not ceramic) is totaly night and day for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The chainring size may or may not be ideal, but Jenson has a great deal on a SRAM X9 30mm double:

Sram X.9 10 Speed Crankset For BB30 > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-eye-am View Post
    Whatever crankset you go with, I recommend ditching the supplied bottom bracket. I was originally running the previous generation XTR triple up front on a hope ceramic BB with the SRAM PF30 plastic adapters. Did not like the plastic adapters one bit.

I ended up with the praxisworks bottom bracket conversion kit. SO much better. Theory is that by maintaining ridgid alignment between the two outboard bearings (something the plastic PF30 adapters can't do), you'll have a much smoother running crank. Perhaps I could have screwed up the installation of the crankset, but when I ordered my frame from Red Barn, I had them ship it to me with PF30 adapters and BB installed. Difference with praxisworks BB (steel, not ceramic) is totaly night and day for me.
    Sam:

Just wondering how the Praxis is working for you, as far as creaking BB. Im thinking of getting the Praxis Conversion Kit for my El Ciclon. Currently, I have a Chris King PF30 BB with the plastic adapters running an XT Crankset. I cant seem to get rid of the creaking BB.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr4eva View Post
    Sam:

Just wondering how the Praxis is working for you, as far as creaking BB. Im thinking of getting the Praxis Conversion Kit for my El Ciclon. Currently, I have a Chris King PF30 BB with the plastic adapters running an XT Crankset. I cant seem to get rid of the creaking BB.
    No BB creaks whatsoever. I have a straight up CK BB on my 2011 ElComondante with 2x10 xo crank and drive train. My 2012 Ciclon and the praxisworks BB spins so much better. No creaking with either. Each time I get back on the Ciclon after extensive periods off (commuting and XC are my most accessible rides lately) I am amazed at how well those pedals turn over.

Are you sure you creaking source is the BB? Just asking because most of the time, my creaks have come from things other than the BB.

mtbr member
    Thanx Sam,

Ive been checking and ruling out all of the normal creaking causes and cant seem to get rid of the creak. I rode in the mud the other day, and the creak went silent while mud riding, yipee, or so I thought. But alas, the creak came back on the next ride after it dried up.

Did you get your Praxis direct from the manufacturer? I cant find it on EBay or Amazon.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr4eva View Post
    Thanx Sam,

Ive been checking and ruling out all of the normal creaking causes and cant seem to get rid of the creak. I rode in the mud the other day, and the creak went silent while mud riding, yipee, or so I thought. But alas, the creak came back on the next ride after it dried up.

Did you get your Praxis direct from the manufacturer? I cant find it on EBay or Amazon.....
    Yep. Ordered mine straight from their website. Turned out to be quicker than LBS. Don't think they are mainstream enough to find on eBay or Amazon.

mtbr member
    OK roger that. I found a LBS that is a Praxis Dealer, ordered it thru them, thanx for the info

Proud lame eBiker
    Yes. Praxis Works is the way to go! Enduro also does a really nice set up too, but for Shimano only still, afaik.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info.
    I haven't purchased a frame yet. To complicate things a bit I am considering the Yeti sb 66. Have not had a chance to ride the Yeti but reviews and ride impressions from the forums are positive. Is the Ventana suspension out of date? I would love to ride the El Ciclon but have not seen one out on the trails.
    "Dubstep doesn't make viewers want to ride: it makes them want to take bath salts and F*** up a 7-11"