Team Chilidog!

Good tubeless setup for X-5/X-6?

I'm thinking of running tubeless. I currently have Mavic 321s/CK wheelset that I'm perfectly happy with, and running Stans is definitely an idea as I love my Kenda Nevagal 2.35s. I do like running my Weirwolf LTs in the summer when it's bone dry here in NorCal, so I would like to rotate between 'em without having two wheelsets. I did run Stans in the past, but it ate through the bead on the Weirwolfs (no, it's not a surprise given the warning on their website). I can run WW USTs in the summer, but they're only 2.1s, so I'm leaning towards Stans with Nevagals year-round.

I've definitely been thinking about UST, but I've had a hard time finding a tire that's 2.35 or higher. Most of 'em seem to be 2.1s. I've heard that the 819s would be a good rim to go with.

Thoughts on it?
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

No known cure
    I'm running Mavic 819's with a WTB WW 2.1(front) and a Kenda Nevegal 2.1(rear) for all around loose moondust and DG singletrack here in the San Bernardino Mtns. For gravity, heavier duty rides and D'ville, I run a 2.5 Michellin DH 16 AT(front) and a 2.2 DH 24 AT(rear.) I've been using this rim since it was the X3.1, and I've never got around to dribbling some Stan's inside and have never had a fl@t with the Mavic UST system. I'm not even a fan of Mavic but would sick with this rim. YMMV.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

I am on DT Swiss 5.1's on Specialized Eskars and pretty happy with the setup. It doesn't lose pressure at all. I will probably throw on the Big Betty UST's when they are released.

Shot Down in Flames...
    I have 819s on 3 bikes. I like the Mavic UST system the best. I tried the DT Swiss system and was less than happy. Nothing beats a sealed rim IMO.

You can get Nevegals in 2.35 UST as well as Schwalbe Fat Alberts.

D.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm also running Mavic XM819 UST rims and I'm pretty damn happy with them. Right now I'm running Specialized Resolution Pro UST 2.3 tires, but a set of Schwalbe Fat Albert USTs are on the way. I prefer a true tubeless system instead of having to run a rim strip with sealant.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    I have 819s on 3 bikes. I like the Mavic UST system the best. I tried the DT Swiss system and was less than happy. Nothing beats a sealed rim IMO.

You can get Nevegals in 2.35 UST as well as Schwalbe Fat Alberts.

D.

Cool! That's what I wanted to here I love my Nevegals, and I'm thinking of running 'em year round.

the train keeps rollin
    Hi Stripes,

Eskar Control 2.3, the tire has the UST bead, but with standard sidewalls. My set came in at 693 grams and 713 grams, stellar! The sidewalls feel a little soft, but I've been trashing them through rock gardens for a couple months now, they're holding up.

If you want the most reliable setup, I would stay away for conversion kits, and go with a true UST rim. I'm running Crossmax SX wheels, they're rock solid, no burping, under 2000 grams for the set.
    beaver hunt

not so super...
    Go with a Stan's rim. They hold the bead better than a standard rim and strip combo and is lighter than most of the UST rims. I've run a Big Betty, UST Specy Revelation and a 2bliss Eskar with no issues. My 5.1's with strips tended to burp at the worst moment.
    Nothing to see here.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Go with a Stan's rim. They hold the bead better than a standard rim and strip combo and is lighter than most of the UST rims. I've run a Big Betty, UST Specy Revelation and a 2bliss Eskar with no issues. My 5.1's with strips tended to burp at the worst moment.
    Do you need to use Stan's goop with their rims? It looks like people are saying to stay away from no tubes and head UST (good). I'll look at the Stan's rims and the Mavic 819s. The Big Betty's look great for DH, I'm not sure about XC for me.

Other suggestions are welcome, but those seem to be the two coming from this group.

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I run 2.5 High Roller, 2.5 Diesel, 2.3 Vertical, 2.3 Gravity and2.5 Digga on my Ventana's All UST on DT 5.1 and Mavic 819 rims. I find the 2.5 High Roller 60a comes up almost the same size as a 2.35 42a but rolls better without feeling less grippy. I have had no problem running these tyres on either rim. I use the DT tubeless kit on the DT rims and some of the tyres I have mentioned take a lot of persuasion to get on and off the DT rims with this kit. No problem on the Mavic rims. The High Roller 2.5 is a smaller tyre than the 2.5 Diesel, I find they both roll well and grip is about the same. The Diesel and Gravity have the same tread but different size casing.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Do you need to use Stan's goop with their rims? It looks like people are saying to stay away from no tubes and head UST (good). I'll look at the Stan's rims and the Mavic 819s. The Big Betty's look great for DH, I'm not sure about XC for me.

Other suggestions are welcome, but those seem to be the two coming from this group.
    You really only need the goop if you use non-UST tires. Give the Eskar 2Bliss a try if the Betty is a little too much for you.
    Nothing to see here.

Shot Down in Flames...
    Anne, given your love for the Nevegal, this may not apply to you but...

I tried the Nevegals on a couple different bikes and hated them. They roll so slow it's like dragging boat anchors around. The Fat Alberts are a great aggressive all around tire. They roll a lot better that the Nevegals and are just as sturdy. The Big Bettys roll better than the FAs, but I had them break loose a couple times on rocky climbs at DuPont. FAs hooked up on same climbs. I call them even with each one having it's advantages.

The Eskars roll great, they are a fast tire. They don't corner nearly as well as the FAs or BBs.

Give the Fat Alberts a shot. I think you will like them better than the Nevegals. One caveat, the FAs do throw up a lot of stuff. I caught a rock on the shin on a downhill once that hurt like a MFer.

HTH,
    D.

the train keeps rollin
    Stripes, your in NorCal right? Stickers are somewhat common, I would run the goop , it will help seal pinholes, and keep the bead sealed tight..
    beaver hunt

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    Anne, given your love for the Nevegal, this may not apply to you but...

I tried the Nevegals on a couple different bikes and hated them. They roll so slow it's like dragging boat anchors around. The Fat Alberts are a great aggressive all around tire. They roll a lot better that the Nevegals and are just as sturdy. The Big Bettys roll better than the FAs, but I had them break loose a couple times on rocky climbs at DuPont. FAs hooked up on same climbs. I call them even with each one having it's advantages.
    After riding the Weirwolves, the Nevagals seem to really roll. Maybe I'll give the FA a try. Do you run them on your hardtails or FS?

The Eskars roll great, they are a fast tire. They don't corner nearly as well as the FAs or BBs.

Give the Fat Alberts a shot. I think you will like them better than the Nevegals. One caveat, the FAs do throw up a lot of stuff. I caught a rock on the shin on a downhill once that hurt like a MFer.
    HTH,
    D.
    Thanks man, I'll definitely give 'em a shot Given the reviews are positive for it on the east and west coast, it's definitely worth checking out. What widths do they come in?

Shot Down in Flames...
    2.35 only.

I ran them on my FS. I have the Bettys on right now. I run 2.25 IRC Mibros on the Chiquillo and 2.1 Hutch Spiders on the Bucanero. All UST on 819s.

D.

the train keeps rollin
    Falt Alberts now come in 2.25 UST as well. Big Betty will also have UST tire available soon.
    beaver hunt

not so super...
    Eskar is a 2.3 only. Lots of different configurations. Mine are the Control 2Bliss version - requires goop. Good pricing too.

D-Rock is correct though. I found that they don't corner quite as well as the Schwalbe BB (which is also quite a bit larger and heavier) here on our East Coast super hard pack, leaf and pine straw covered trails.
    Nothing to see here.

Team Chilidog!
    Anyone running Crossmax SL wheelsets? I've heard good things about 'em, and I'm curious if anyone here's tried 'em with UST.

customized
    Sep 2003
    Big Betty USTs are available now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    Anyone running Crossmax SL wheelsets? I've heard good things about 'em, and I'm curious if anyone here's tried 'em with UST.
    I use Crossmax XL wheels on my bike and my wife has an SL wheelset. Both work equally well with UST, which is not surprising since they were designed specifically for it. My favourite all-round trail tyres are 2.35" UST Hutchinson Spiders (dual compound). Good volume and width, good grip, good rolling, good weight and reasonable wear.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]