Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    PNW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Muz R-
    Pete,

Looks great! What rear skewer are you using?
    Bolt up on the Hope Pro2

SS or Die
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW
    Bolt up on the Hope Pro2
    Is it a particular brand? Where do you get them?? I see them on bikes on these threads all the time but never in shops or online stores.

Cheers mate.
    "Be the Gear..."

PNW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Muz R-
    Is it a particular brand? Where do you get them?? I see them on bikes on these threads all the time but never in shops or online stores.

Cheers mate.
    The Hope Pro2 SS/trials hub comes with 8mm bolts as standard

mtbr member
    I was so impressed with this bike after a couple of hours of single track, I bought one for myself as an early Christmas present.
    Apart from the exessively noisy hope rear hub, it was whisper quiet and super smooth.

...is still one gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW
    Is this the first thread for the belt drive El Commandante. I know there where a few sneak pics awhile back but they are now available.
    I hope to be hitting the trails with this tomorrow

Just under 9kgs with the Niner fork
    Just wondering what frame size that is?...and how tall you both are?

PNW
    mtbr member
    I'm 5'8", it's a 20' frame but i like to be stretched out, same ETT as my medium Niner

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm actually going over to Ventana today at lunch to see what size el com i should get, and to look at colors.
    I also want to get a gates belt drive set up.
    But i have a question... what crank setup did you go with?
    That's one think i have not upgraded on my current ride, and i would like to get some ideas for what to put on my new frame

thanks!
    Three out of the four voices in my head say, "Go for it!"

2010 Ventana El Comandante

08 Kona Unit 2-9

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedgy
    I'm actually going over to Ventana today at lunch to see what size el com i should get, and to look at colors.
    I also want to get a gates belt drive set up.
    But i have a question... what crank setup did you go with?
    That's one think i have not upgraded on my current ride, and i would like to get some ideas for what to put on my new frame

thanks!
    Personally I'm running the Middleburn cranks but they aren't to everyone's taste mainly because they use Square Taper or ISIS bottom brackets which don't have the greatest reputations.

Having said that, I use the SKF ISIS bottom bracket with a 10 year warranty so not too concerned.

The benefit of the Middleburn's (UK) for a Belt Drive Ventana are that you can change the rings from Single Speed to dual to Triple Ring really easily without changing crank arms, plus you can bling them out with different colour rings, bolts too. A lot of people swear by them. For the belt drive, you just need the arms, BB and a 4 or 5 bolt spider.

Take a look at www.chainreactioncycles.com for the list of Middleburn parts.

Otherwise, take your pick from any crank you like. Truvativ have a couple of nice ones at the moment. Ones built for Single Speed are better but not essential.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HeezaGeeza
    Personally I'm running the Middleburn cranks but they aren't to everyone's taste mainly because they use Square Taper or ISIS bottom brackets which don't have the greatest reputations.
    Middleburn does have a Shimano compatible crankset in the works.. Hopefully it'll be available soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I really like the bike! The belt drive is great too.
    How may teeth do the chainring and the rear cog have? Or what is the ratio? Do they offer more than one ratio?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy777
    I really like the bike! The belt drive is great too.
    How may teeth do the chainring and the rear cog have? Or what is the ratio? Do they offer more than one ratio?
    Take a look at the Gates Carbon Drive website and you'll find a calculator. Has to be based on your preferred ratio, length of chainstays etc as you can't shorten / lengthen the chain. Quite a few different sizes of chainring and cog available but definitely use the calculator and talk to Gates if needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks Heeza Geeza. The website is pretty good. The calculator is certainly a requirement to get the right size sprockets and belt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

does this mean...

I need a belt drive compatible frame to run belt drive? Or will my "old school" commandante accept the belt drive system?

[QUOTE=PNW]Is this the first thread for the belt drive El Commandante. I know there where a few sneak pics awhile back but they are now available.
    I hope to be hitting the trails with this tomorrow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Zacapa
    I need a belt drive compatible frame to run belt drive?
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Zacapa
    Or will my "old school" commandante accept the belt drive system?
    No!

Sorry!
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

you suck

You could have just lied, but no....

--feel the gin

Quote Originally Posted by el saltamontes
    Yes!

No!

Sorry!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

new el comandante

i admit, i've lurked here for quite some time. but my new gates drive el comandante is done and has been ridden this past weekend. built with the following

fox fork Fit rlc fork with the 15qr
    king headset
    truvativ stylo team stem
    salsa carbon bar in 17deg
    magura marta sl's
    king SS hubset with stans 355
    race face deus arms and BB
    thompson seatpost and wtb saddle
    got the new 39t front gates with the 20 and 22 rear

i'm coming off a rigid 29er singlespeed (5 yrs) i'm still
    getting used to the new bike. at this point i can't tell if i'm riding like a bat out of hell from the frame, the fork, the gates drive or my legs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gates belt drive-img00068.jpg  

Last edited by stinkytevas; 04-16-2010 at 07:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

El Comandante Belt Drive

Sweet ride...I suppose by now you have logged some miles on it. What do you think? Did you buy it complete or build it up yourself? I want one....hopefully built, but if not, frame with belt drive...Where did you buy yours?

mtbr member
    can we get the belt drive from Ventana?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    the bike is great. no regrets. i spec'ed it out myself- ordered through Plum Grove Cyclery in Leesburg Va. i think ventana only sells frames.

PNW
    mtbr member
    Ventana will supply the belts and pullies aswell, ask your dealer to ask them

mtbr member
    OK fellow belt drive Ventana riders, here is a bit of info that I can share that might be useful.
    I run a 39-22 which has worked faultlessly for over 3000k so far, once I had got the tension correct. ( it has to be tighter than is recommended if you intend to ride hard)
    With the same 113t belt I can run a 39-24, with a Maxxis 2.1 detonator. A baggier tire (Racing Ralph 2.4) will not fit. If you want to run 39-24 with big tyres you have to get the next belt size up.
    If any of you are thinking of running an Alfine geared hub, dont bother as the chainline is impossible to align due to the positioning of the cog on the hub. If gates made the Alfine specific cog with the drive flange on one side it might be just possible to align, but unfortunately for me, the drive flange has been machined in the centre of the cog.

Hope that his info helps

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey, Newb here. I'm looking at a new SpotBrand Rocker with the Gates belt drive. I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer. How do I convert the standard 'chain' ratio of 32:20 to the Gates system? In other words: What does 32:20 equate to in Gates language? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Want some rumor?

(Very) apparently there's Slider Dropouts for belt-drive and Rohloff Internal Gearing one there way.

So, watch out...
    XC legs,
    DH balls...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by el saltamontes
    Want some rumor?

(Very) apparently there's Slider Dropouts for belt-drive and Rohloff Internal Gearing one there way.

So, watch out...

Sliders and belts and gears... OH MY!

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by rkymtnrider
    Sliders and belts and gears... OH MY!
    Saw one being built yesterday at Webcyclery in Bend, Oregon. Although in this case it was a chain drive El Commandante with the Rohloff. They tried to talk the client into the Belt Drive and he really wanted a chain drive. I am sure Webcyclery will post this bike to their Facebook Fan Page when finished. The color was really sweet. A type of Grey.....
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast