mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Full Suspension 27+ ---> in the works?

Anyone know if Ventana is working on a FS 27+ bike? Maybe a + capable version of Zeus or Alpino?

Alternatively, anyone tried a 27+ on an El Capitan? I know the swingarms are different, but MTB Tandems has been fitting 2.6" or 2.8" 27.5 tires on the 29er version of the ECDM.

Ever since I demoed a Salsa Pony Rustler - I've been lusting after a + sized FS bike. Would love to trade in my El Ciclon or my even older X-5 if Ventana had a full suspension offering that handled 2.6" to 2.8" wide tires. Otherwise - I'm thinking Ibis Mojo 3 if only I can get my hand on one to demo and it turns out more amazing than the Pony Rustler.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-eye-am View Post
    Anyone know if Ventana is working on a FS 27+ bike? Maybe a + capable version of Zeus or Alpino?

Alternatively, anyone tried a 27+ on an El Capitan? I know the swingarms are different, but MTB Tandems has been fitting 2.6" or 2.8" 27.5 tires on the 29er version of the ECDM.

Ever since I demoed a Salsa Pony Rustler - I've been lusting after a + sized FS bike. Would love to trade in my El Ciclon or my even older X-5 if Ventana had a full suspension offering that handled 2.6" to 2.8" wide tires. Otherwise - I'm thinking Ibis Mojo 3 if only I can get my hand on one to demo and it turns out more amazing than the Pony Rustler.
    I have put both 2.8" Maxxis and Schwable in my Zeus and they clear just fine. However you can not get full travel in the 160mm position without contact with seat tube. I have not tried in 140mm position. Might be able to run a spacer in the shock to limit travel and get away with it.

Have ran the same above 2.8" tires in my wifes El Rey and works just fine with no issues, so I think it would work with the El Cap.

Best thing to do is give Sherwood and Teresa a call, confident they can get you taken care of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    I have put both 2.8" Maxxis and Schwable in my Zeus and they clear just fine. However you can not get full travel in the 160mm position without contact with seat tube. I have not tried in 140mm position. Might be able to run a spacer in the shock to limit travel and get away with it.

Thanks. Now I seem to remember a thread about zeus tires contacting the seat tube at full travel. Didn't connect the dots to 2.8" tires but will go have a look at that thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-eye-am View Post
    Thanks. Now I seem to remember a thread about zeus tires contacting the seat tube at full travel. Didn't connect the dots to 2.8" tires but will go have a look at that thread.
    The earlier thread had nothing to do with 2.8" tires. Some incorrect dropouts were sent out on a frame that was tested, not an issue at all with the bike just a mistake in assembly.

I was just stating you could run 2.8" tires on a Zeus but can not get full travel. The Zeus was never built or intended to run 2.8" tires, but the Ventana bikes have such great tire clearance that they will fit.

Bottom line I do not think it would take much to be able to run 2.8" tires in a few of their current models. Pick up the phone and call them, some of the best people in the bike biz.

Proud lame eBiker
    I've been riding my El Rey with 27.5x2.8" WTB tires and really enjoying it. I had a 3.0 ranger on the back at one point but it was toooooo close to the chainstay and had to back off of it.

The 29er bikes can run 27.5+ no problem. I found it dropped the bottom bracket about 10mm with the 2.8 tires on it from the original 29x2.35 IKON's I was running.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    I've been riding my El Rey with 27.5x2.8" WTB tires and really enjoying it. I had a 3.0 ranger on the back at one point but it was toooooo close to the chainstay and had to back off of it.

The 29er bikes can run 27.5+ no problem. I found it dropped the bottom bracket about 10mm with the 2.8 tires on it from the original 29x2.35 IKON's I was running.
    Thanks. Did you prefer the El Rey in 29er or 27.5+ mode?

Like bervin mentioned, I need to give them a call when I get a chance. Would be nice if they could make one boost as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proud lame eBiker
    27.5+ if you're out to have fun and blast around and boost off stuff and stuff it deep in the corners. Gobbles up the rough rock fields amazingly well.

Run the 29ers when your goal for the ride is to get to point a to point b as fast as possible. Keep the wheels on the ground and carry all your speed with little fanfare.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    A bike that could handle: 26 x 5.00, 27.5 x 3.8 and 29 x 3.00 with 120 - 140 of travel would be a pretty sweet ride!
    97' Brodie Expresso
    00' Turner RFX
    08' Turner RFX
    13' Surly Troll
    15' Surly ICT

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    A bike that could handle: 26 x 5.00, 27.5 x 3.8 and 29 x 3.00 with 120 - 140 of travel would be a pretty sweet ride!
    Agreed!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgprimo View Post
    Until Ventana makes one, this is out there. I rode one of these as a fat bike all winter.

https://www.amazon.com/IMUST-Malamut.../dp/B01GV1A542

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    Until Ventana makes one, this is out there. I rode one of these as a fat bike all winter.

https://www.amazon.com/IMUST-Malamut.../dp/B01GV1A542
    Looks like a decent frame. On the fence with one of these or a rigid carbon frame/fork package for 3 bills less than this one. I would run it both fat and 27.5+ with wheels I already have. Do you know what rear shock setup was used on this frame?
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200