Thread: Fresh Ride

Proud lame eBiker

Fresh Ride

Ok, after railing version 1.0 Chucho and the version 2.0 for years, I got myself a RM Altitude dual 27.5 150mm bike this past May. Been pretty happy with that bike. Carbon frt end, alloy rear.
    My one niggling issue with that bike is its front end vagueness. I think it's more from low top tube, and carbon.

So, decided to bite the bullet and get myself a Zeus frame. Used my parts from the last Chucho, except new fork and rebuilt the wheels. I had sd a couple Pikes recently and they are just soooo smooth straight out of the box. So grabbed up one of them in solo air 160mm travel for my build. Built the new wheels with a new rim from WTB the i25. DT Dbl. Btd spokes and some gold alloy nipples. Shod them with WTB Vigilantes which is what I've been running on the Altitude and really like them.

Part of this 'experiment' was to stay as similar in build so I can focus on the frames.

Looking forward to crashing and thrashing both bikes in the next coming months.

Here's a few photos.
    Oh, Vigilante 27.5x2.35....shock bottomed out...in 160mm travel mode ...45psi...and no tire rub.

Close, but just not touching.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker
    21" frame

30.6 lbs.

Color: Teal
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Nice, and welcome back! I can talk to you again!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    That's still a little close for comfort. So what's the solution? Bottom out bumper? Nice color combo......like the teal

Proud lame eBiker
    I don't plan on riding it without air in the can so no worries there. Nor will I run 45 psi...amazing how much a tire stretches from 30 to 45psi!

I think the Teal is the classiest of all their colors.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    That's still a little close for comfort. So what's the solution? Bottom out bumper? Nice color combo......like the teal

mtbr member
    That Zeus looks very good.

And I agree, the Teal is classy, not sure if I could do it though, but it looks nice.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Lightly salted
    Congrats on the new ride! Good choice on the pike. It's scary how good those pike forks feel!

mtbr member
    Nice ride Myke!

You guys have me wondering if I should sell my 2013 CTD and pick up a PIKE. Or send the CTD to PUSH for the full treatment. I imagine both options would cost me a similar out of pocket amount.

Myke, do you have much time on the 34 CTD's? The general consensus seems to be the PIKE is better out of the box.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sent my CTD fork and rear shock to fox for service now that the season is over. They upgraded my '13 internals and re-valved both shocks for my weight and riding style. The tuning was not too much more than the rebuild and was a needed upgrade.

The whole bike has a much different personality now; it climbs better, stays higher in it's travel in the low speed techy trails and takes big hits with less bounce. I wish I had done that at the beginning of the season!

Proud lame eBiker
    The basic thing between Fox and Rockshox....is the maintenance required to keep them running smooth. I just overhauled a customers Float 34 which was 6 months old....never ridden in mud, but plenty of dust. Customer wasn't complaining of anything when he brought it in, but I could feel it not working as it should. Freshened it up and slapped it back together. Customer was shocked....had to add 5psi back to his fork, it was working that smooth again.

Fox likes service. And don't get skimpy on it either or that cute kashimira will prematurely wear out and slop slop goes your fork.

As for ride differences, I still give the nod to Rockshox for beginning to mid stroke with Fox not feeling as plush here, but handling the bigger hits better.

I've got the Float 34 on my Rocky, and I've got the new Pike on my Zeus.....right out of the box the Pike felt like it had 100hours of riding on it as far as how supple and smooth it is.

One thing I feel with the Pike....those of you who have used one, do you ever use the full lock out mode? The "Pedal" position feels plenty solid for me!
    Adjusting the LowSpeed Compression makes a big difference during medium speed trail work too.

"The general consensus seems to be the PIKE is better out of the box.".....completely true. By the time the Fox feels this smooth, the stanchions have the coating worn off....

Proud lame eBiker
    A few shots from riding Mendocino this past turkey day morning. Those Vigilantes love the loamy decomposing goodness. Lots of braaaaaping was heard....

In there. Yeah. There. The trail starts.

Strike a pose

Can't get enough of these trails.

mtbr member
    Looks great, I considered a teal Alpino with polished hubs, rims, headset, Stem, Cranks and maybe a set of those old chrome Hayes brakes! Too pimpy maybe but it still may happen.