Thread: Fork for X-5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Fork for X-5?

Building up a customized, full XTR X-5 and plan on using a Fox Float RLC.

Not sure if I should run it at 140 or 120?

Feel free to chime in if you have some experience with same.

Thanks.

CR

Team Chilidog!
    If it's semi-custom or full-custom build, have Ventana build it around the fork.

I had an older Fox Float RLC that was 130mm. It felt too steep there, so run it at least 140. The Pike did wonderful on it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It has custom lightweight tubing shedding about 1/2 pound from the frame weight otherwise the geometry is regular.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Then go for the 140. The geo of the X5 is based on a 130 fork. Going 120 will make the HA feel too steep as stripes said above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It would be too steep at 120. I'd not run a fork less than 140 on the X-5. It feels pretty steep. My 2004 had a 70 degree HA (If I remember right) and it felt too steep at 130 so I have to guess that the new X-5 would feel too steep at 120 as well. At 130 and a 69 degree HA, the X-5 should feel fine and at 140, it will feel okey though the BB will ride up by another 5mm or so. It may feel a bit tall and tippy. Go with the geo for the X-5. The Ciclon addresses these geo issues (for some who prefer a slacker/lower bike) with a slightly lower BB, a slacker HA, a frame designed closer to a 140mm fork, and a slightly longer wheelbase.