AOK
    mtbr member

Fork suggestions for Saltamontes?

Anyone have fork suggestions for my new Salty?

It has the 3/4/5 rockers, and I have been happy with my Fox Vanilla, so I was leaning towards a TALAS.

Anyone have pros & cons on this setup?

I have some riding time on a float, & have to say I preferred my Vanilla. Will the TALAS be more coil-like or feel similar to a float?

Any other (non-fox) suggestions?

I read about TALAS top caps hitting the downtube on a thread below. Is this unique to the TALAS or all Fox forks? Those of you with the clearance issues - do you think it will be a problem on a larger frame (mine is a 19").

11 is one louder than 10

I'd say talas in your case

with the 3-4-5 rocker, the talas makes a lot of sense. The talas in my opinion rides even smoother than the vanilla forks. pretty darn linear. I'm running a float on mine, but I'm fixed at 4 inches front and rear, and using a platform rear shock most of the time.

If the top caps hit, generally a bit of light filing will fix it.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Powered by ice cream.
    I ride the 3/4/5 Salt with a romic in the rear and TALAS up front. I have no experience with other forks except cannondale's headshock.

Ths TALAS is PLUSH Which is nice because the romic is also PLUSH.

I don't have any trouble with the top cap hitting the frame (large frame).

Sort of wish the fork had a bit of the stable platform thing going on for long nontechnical climbs. This would balance the Romic better. I find when I stand to climb, the rear is very stable, but the front can wallow.

My .02

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Been having trouble w/my TALAS on Salty

I have a 2004 TALAS on my 4" Salty, and I am having trouble at my weight. I have about 15 hours on it now. I have played with air pressure and compression, although I might swap out the oil for something lighter. I just have trouble getting full travel and initial bump responsiveness-if I let out the air to really get full travel on big hits, the fork is way too soft and brake dives (I weigh 150lbs, or less if I am riding tons). I hear other lightweights have had the same problem. The TALAS is a great fork, but maybe not if you are a lightweight. Another infinitely adjustable fork that may be worth checking out is the Manitou Minute 1:00-supposedly as stiff as the TALAS, weighs about the same (about 40-50g heavier), has SPV and dual coils. I hear that they are about the same responsiveness on little stuff, but the Minute is much more linear and doesn't dive/wallow through dips (due to the SPV). It seems like tons of 5-spots have Minute's on them.

Regarding the infinite travel-I set up my 4" Salty at 104mm on the TALAS and found it to be a good neutral handling bike. Once I got past 110mm, the bike really slowed down and also was harder to ride in techncal sections. Sherwood told me that the 5" rocker steepens the head tube about 1/2 degree, so you would want to let out the TALAS 4-5 clicks to accomidate this for 5"-probably about 116-119mm. I didn't drop the front end for climbing, but it makes sense to have an infinite travel fork w/an adjustable travel rear end.

I am going to get rid of my TALAS and probably get a Minute 1:00, so if you are interested, let me know-it is almost new.

AOK
    mtbr member

Hey GG, question about stable platform with talas

Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    with the 3-4-5 rocker, the talas makes a lot of sense. The talas in my opinion rides even smoother than the vanilla forks. pretty darn linear. I'm running a float on mine, but I'm fixed at 4 inches front and rear, and using a platform rear shock most of the time.

If the top caps hit, generally a bit of light filing will fix it.
    You hit on something that makes me wonder whether I would be happier with a Talas or a float (or something else). One of the things that I was considering was to have the float in the rear PUSHed to get a stable platform shock. Do you think the bike would feel unbalanced with a stable platform in the rear and a TALAS in the front?

I will surely play around between 4" and 5" mode initially, but I am guessing I will settle on one or the other pretty soon. The TALAS will be great when I'm playing with travel, but I wonder if I will adjust travel much in the long run.

Also, anyone have any ride time on older Floats vs. newer Floats? I have some time in on a 2002 model. It was fairly plush, but seemed to be fairly stiff over small chatter stuff (which I have a lot of down here). Small bump sensitivity is the main reason I have preferred my Vanilla to the float I had. Are the newer Float forks any better in this regard?

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgcatching
    I have a 2004 TALAS on my 4" Salty, and I am having trouble at my weight. I have about 15 hours on it now. I have played with air pressure and compression, although I might swap out the oil for something lighter. I just have trouble getting full travel and initial bump responsiveness-if I let out the air to really get full travel on big hits, the fork is way too soft and brake dives (I weigh 150lbs, or less if I am riding tons). I hear other lightweights have had the same problem. The TALAS is a great fork, but maybe not if you are a lightweight. Another infinitely adjustable fork that may be worth checking out is the Manitou Minute 1:00-supposedly as stiff as the TALAS, weighs about the same (about 40-50g heavier), has SPV and dual coils. I hear that they are about the same responsiveness on little stuff, but the Minute is much more linear and doesn't dive/wallow through dips (due to the SPV). It seems like tons of 5-spots have Minute's on them.

Regarding the infinite travel-I set up my 4" Salty at 104mm on the TALAS and found it to be a good neutral handling bike. Once I got past 110mm, the bike really slowed down and also was harder to ride in techncal sections. Sherwood told me that the 5" rocker steepens the head tube about 1/2 degree, so you would want to let out the TALAS 4-5 clicks to accomidate this for 5"-probably about 116-119mm. I didn't drop the front end for climbing, but it makes sense to have an infinite travel fork w/an adjustable travel rear end.

I am going to get rid of my TALAS and probably get a Minute 1:00, so if you are interested, let me know-it is almost new.
    What do you know about the Minute's reliability? I seem to remember reading some posts or reviews about them having some manufacturing problems... typical 1st year model stuff.

If I decide TALAS, I would be interested in yours, but I think you are on a smaller frame, so I doubt you will have the steerer length I need (I have a 19" frame).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I guess I will find out more about the Minute when I have some time on it. I just got it mounted last night.

Regarding the TALAS-I still have 220mm of steerer tube left (I left it long in case I deciced not to keep it). As the head tube is 140mm on the 19" Salty (they have very tall HT's) the 220mm steerer should be plenty of length. A typical headset has a 28-30mm stack height and a large stem like the Thomson has a 42mm stack height, so that leaves you with about 10mm of spacing left. Anyways, I hope this helps!

11 is one louder than 10

Push - funny you ask

I just got back from my first ride on my newly pushed rear shock. Old Float R. I'll post comments on it specifically in a new thread.

But, I'm running 4 inches front and rear, and I'm really happy with the bike right now. I've had the 5th element, romic, pro-pedal, and now the pushed rear float on it.

I think that the Pushed float, and pro-pedal, really, really felt balanced with the float fork up front. I love the talas fork, BUT I think with the ava, or if I was adjusting travel more it would make more sense. The talas also worked well with the romic, with very little compression dampening. As I added more compression dampening, I think the float made more sense.

IF you are going to push the rear shock, AND can settle on a front travel. A float makes sense, but I believe you are limited to 4 inches with a float up front.

That said, my understanding is PUSH is working on a modification for the Talas. If that is the case, and they will add a platform for the talas, but retain the infinite adjustability - that would be one hot ticket.

With the 5th element in the back, the Talas up front makes no sense. The float isn't bad. But I think the 5th makes most sense with a f100x and run more platform in the 5th. I liked the 5th, but will be selling it as I can't afford 3 shocks!

Hope that helps.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member

top cap clearance issues...

My frame is a 15" and with the TALAS I have the clearance issues. Is suppose to be an issue in smalls frame like in the 13", 15" and 17". Is not a big issue, The only problem is the first time that the cap hit the downtube it will make a scratch in the pretty paint job
    But the scratch is only like 3 or 4 mm long.
    I really like the performance of my fork!!!
    Mas vale ser punky que maricon de playa

mtbr member
    How much are you selling the fork? which Talas model it is?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlosPR
    How much are you selling the fork? which Talas model it is?
    It is the TALAS RLC, just bought it 1 month ago (2004 model). It is like new, so I was thinking $400 plus $10 shipping would be a fair price.

I just rode the Minute 1:00 tonight-so far, I am impressed. I need to work on the spring rate (maybe install a softer spring) as I wasn't getting full travel on the same type of terrain that maxes out the TALAS, but the fork rode very well. The same as the TALAS on small bumps, but as the terrain got rougher, it seemed that the Minute really settled quickly after a hit, while the TALAS tends to wallow on things like sharp lava rocks in quick succession. Same goes when riding through depressions-the TALAS seems to oscillate, the Minute aborbs and then finds neutral again, very quick. Also, I was impressed with the stiffness-the Minute seemed as stiff, if not stiffer than the TALAS (the Minute was set at 120mm). Basically, the Minute seemed to do well on the medium and bigger hits at speed, and the damping makes the fork recover very quick, allowing for better response and more predictability. Felt more linear than the TALAS. It isn't as plush as the typical coil though-if I want plush in the future, I would go with a Vanilla/Romic instead of the Minute/SPV 3-way combo I am running right now.

mtbr member

talas fork

It is the TALAS RLC, just bought it 1 month ago (2004 model). It is like new, so I was thinking $400 plus $10 shipping would be a fair price.
    hello
    sorry for the delay in aswering you. did you sell the fork? do you have any pic? try to contact me to carlrive_pr@yahoo.com
    thanx

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    hello
    sorry for the delay in aswering you. did you sell the fork? do you have any pic? try to contact me to carlrive_pr@yahoo.com
    thanx
    I am in the process of testing the TALAS against the Minute 1 with different SPV settings in the rear-I will let you know when I am done (toward the end of the week).

mtbr member
    I am in the process of testing the TALAS against the Minute 1 with different SPV settings in the rear-I will let you know when I am done (toward the end of the week).
    did you finish with the testing process? Did you sold the fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    did you finish with the testing process? Did you sold the fork?
    HI. Sorry for the delay-I haven't checked the Ventana board recently. I am planning on selling the TALAS-email me at thunderball23@hotmail.com if you are interested. I am still working out spring issues with the Minute 1:00 as well: I need a soft spring, ordered one from Answer, but a firm spring showed up instead. The ride is too harsh with the stock spring, so I am currently riding a Vanilla 125R until I can get the Minute 1:00 dialed for my weight. The Vanilla seems like a nice fork, but nothing too spectacular: I am really going to enjoy the slow-speed damping of the SPV when I get the Minute up and running.

mtbr member
    HI. Sorry for the delay-I haven't checked the Ventana board recently. I am planning on selling the TALAS-email me at thunderball23@hotmail.com if you are interested. I am still working out spring issues with the Minute 1:00 as well: I need a soft spring, ordered one from Answer, but a firm spring showed up instead. The ride is too harsh with the stock spring, so I am currently riding a Vanilla 125R until I can get the Minute 1:00 dialed for my weight. The Vanilla seems like a nice fork, but nothing too spectacular: I am really going to enjoy the slow-speed damping of the SPV when I get the Minute up and running.
    sorry man but I can't wait and have to bought one on ebay.