Team Chilidog!

First ride using K-24s on El Tigre

(Any excuse to post a picture )

I rode with BigLarry in Santa Teresa in South San Jose. There are plenty of rock gardens on Stiles Ranch and aptly named Rocky Ridge. I found out the K-24s have an amazing stopping power, sending myself into the trail a couple of times. Fortunately, I'm wearing armor.

These brakes do not fade at all! I'm very happy with the purchase for these brakes, and I definitely stop when I want to. I've had to make sure that I use the rear brake more frequently than the front as it has an amazing amount of stopping power for a rear brake. The front brake also has an amazing amount of stopping power, so the couple of times I fell was the bike stopping, and I didn't.

I think the Puros would have been too much for what I was looking for, and this will definitely have me keep my weight back, especially on the downhills and not get sloppy (happens when I get tired). I rode 20 miles on Friday, and it's nice to have confidence in my brakes again. These are a very nice upgrade from my 2003 Martas. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Stripes; 03-26-2008 at 08:50 AM.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Shot Down in Flames...

FYI, the K24's are Oros, Oro K24. The differences from the Oro Puros are carbon levers, ti hardware & braided lines. The caliper, mc are all the same brake. K18s are Oros too.

D.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock

FYI, the K24's are Oros, Oro K24. The differences from the Oro Puros are carbon levers, ti hardware & braided lines. The caliper, mc are all the same brake. K18s are Oros too.

D.
    Thanks, I corrected the text. Man, I can imagine how much the Puros would've cost. Ugh.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet, stripes!

Baller/Biker

K24's

Quote Originally Posted by stripes

(Any excuse to post a picture )

I rode with BigLarry in Santa Teresa in South San Jose. There are plenty of rock gardens on Stiles Ranch and aptly named Rocky Ridge. I found out the K-24s have an amazing stopping power, sending myself into the trail a couple of times. Fortunately, I'm wearing armor.

These brakes do not fade at all! I'm very happy with the purchase for these brakes, and I definitely stop when I want to. I've had to make sure that I use the rear brake more frequently than the front as it has an amazing amount of stopping power for a rear brake. The front brake also has an amazing amount of stopping power, so the couple of times I fell was the bike stopping, and I didn't.

I think the Puros would have been too much for what I was looking for, and this will definitely have me keep my weight back, especially on the downhills and not get sloppy (happens when I get tired). I rode 20 miles on Friday, and it's nice to have confidence in my brakes again. These are a very nice upgrade from my 2003 Martas. Thanks for your help.
    I just purchased a set for my Chiquillo, cant wait to test em out this weekend. What did you think of them and what did you switch from?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetpro0323
    I just purchased a set for my Chiquillo, cant wait to test em out this weekend. What did you think of them and what did you switch from?
    I switched from 2003 Magura Martas, and they needed to be bled all the time. Both have a 7" front/6" rear setup. My Martas also had the Goodrich cables.

The stopping power with these is amazing. Try not to get hurt.

Baller/Biker

switching from Mono Mini's

Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I switched from 2003 Magura Martas, and they needed to be bled all the time. Both have a 7" front/6" rear setup. My Martas also had the Goodrich cables.

The stopping power with these is amazing. Try not to get hurt.
    I'll be extra carefull for the first few miles until I get the feel for them, My Mini's were very strong but the new component bug bit me over the winter.

Unfit Norwegian
    Nice brakes, that. Good to hear you like them.

I can't wait to try the 203/185mm The Ones that are sitting in a box in my basement waiting to be mounted to the Ciclón.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    Nice brakes, that. Good to hear you like them.

I can't wait to try the 203/185mm The Ones that are sitting in a box in my basement waiting to be mounted to the Ciclón.
    203 Ones on Ciclon?

Grab too much lever & you'll be OTB in no time
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member

My K24 Experience, not great ... yet

For you guys with new Formula breaks, can you tell me why I have to adjust the position of the pads/calipers every time I remove and replace my front wheel?
    I did not originally install them, but I am certain it was done correctly. On each of 3 times I've removed the front wheel, I've had to re-adjust the caliper. The method described in the manual does not work for me, I need to spin and adjust until there is no drag, and sometimes again on the trail. The front hub is not loose, it is attached to a RS Revelation, which is attached to a Salty. Also, no bent rotor.
    While I love the feel of the brakes, this is a bit of a hassle. Any suggestions?
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    For you guys with new Formula breaks, can you tell me why I have to adjust the position of the pads/calipers every time I remove and replace my front wheel?
    I did not originally install them, but I am certain it was done correctly. On each of 3 times I've removed the front wheel, I've had to re-adjust the caliper. The method described in the manual does not work for me, I need to spin and adjust until there is no drag, and sometimes again on the trail. The front hub is not loose, it is attached to a RS Revelation, which is attached to a Salty. Also, no bent rotor.
    While I love the feel of the brakes, this is a bit of a hassle. Any suggestions?
    Craig,
    the problem is not with the brake but in your front wheel

If the caliper is properly adjusted before removing the wheel and then misaligned when you replace the wheel then you either aren't seating the wheel correctly in the dropouts or you are applying different tension to the wheel skewer.

Are you using a QR or TA front wheel?

I've experienced the same thing with almost every brand of front brake with a QR wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Craig,
    the problem is not with the brake but in your front wheel

If the caliper is properly adjusted before removing the wheel and then misaligned when you replace the wheel then you either aren't seating the wheel correctly in the dropouts or you are applying different tension to the wheel skewer.

Are you using a QR or TA front wheel?

I've experienced the same thing with almost every brand of front brake with a QR wheel.
    Thanks Jamie,
    It is QR, Larry built Hadley's with Hope skewers.
    I agree, it must be wheel. These are the first hydro brakes I've had, and I guess with the mechanical discs I kept the pad gap wide enough that I never noticed the change in seating.
    BTW, others with Juicys and QRs don't seem to have problem, is the pad gap smaller with Formula brakes? I thought I read that Formula's typically had a large gap.
    Craig, Durango CO

Bodhisattva
    Like, I said...I've seen this type of problem with every combo of QR wheel & brake.

Best solution....get a TA Pike

Cheapest solution....get Quicknuts

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Strange

Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    My K24's are the only disc brakes that I _haven't_ had this problem with. There's a good amount of space between the pads and the rotor and I just slap my front wheel on and I'm good to go. Have you tried messing w/ the pad adjustment lever?

There are by far the most drag free brakes I've used.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    How long have you had the brakes? The reason I ask is that I had the same problem on the first few rides with mine (occasional rubbing), then it stopped. I think I saw some other posts around here that also said that the problem existed on the first few rides then went away after break-in.

Captain Underpants
    Man, I need a set of those. Tax Return, Tax Return, where art thou?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatgerm
    How long have you had the brakes? The reason I ask is that I had the same problem on the first few rides with mine (occasional rubbing), then it stopped. I think I saw some other posts around here that also said that the problem existed on the first few rides then went away after break-in.
    I've had them for about 8 rides now and I'm reasonably patient.
    Otherwise, I really like the brakes, I feel like I use them less because I know how they'll act when I do need them. And my buddies have brake envy.
    Craig, Durango CO