mtbr member
    Jun 2004

First ride -- 2012 ElCiclon

Well, after a lot of logistical issues including a cross country move, I finally go my 2012 ElCiclon built up.

[IMG][/IMG]

First thought: AMAZING! I have been riding an X-5 for about 6 years. Both an 04 frame and a 2007 frame. Weights (using the same wheel set on both bikes) are darn close. My X-5 was running 30lbs 13 oz. The 2012 ElCiclon as built is 29lbs 10oz. However, running in 150 mode for the rear shock/rockers...the 2012 ElCiclon pedals so much more efficiently than my 2007 X-5 (pushed RP23) that the bike feels like it weighs less. I just can't get over how much better the bike pedals. Even with the pro-pedal completely off...it is WAY better.

I'm still not sure about the internal cable routing. It looks really cool. However, this is bike #7 that I have built, and I have never had so much trouble with the derailleurs.

I carefully followed the instructions provided for routing the cables. Makes me wonder if something else is up with the bike like the chain line is off. I had the shop I bought the frame from install the PF30 adapter and a hope ceramic external BB. Right now, I'm not sure how many spacers are installed on the external bearings.

As it stands right now, I can't put the front XT der in a position such that I can use all of the rear cogs on the 11-34 cassette without the chain rubbing either inboard or outboard sides of the front der. On the first ride...it wouldn't stay in the 32t cog unless I cranked up the tension on the barrel adjuster such that my indexing was off by 1 cog. Honestly, the rear der was acting as if I had a bent hanger, but looks good to me.

Overall, bike is totally sweet. If only I can figure out how to get use of the full range of gears on it.

More specs on the bike in the setup thread here: The Set-Up Thread

Team Chilidog!
    Nice ride and write-up. After having a couple of X-5s myself, I would agree with you completely. The new Ciclon is night and day difference in pedalability compared to the older design.

My husband's new Ciclon (replaces his X-5) looks like a similar build. He said he doesn't notice a difference pedaling it uphill on some little stuff, but we'll find out what he thinks tomorrow on our first trail ride on it. He's running his at 140mm with a X-Fusion Velvet and I'm running mine with a Fox 36 up front (semi-custom build around a taller fork) and 150mm.

I didn't build my bike or my husband's (we like our LBS and we're short on time), so I didn't run into the problems building it that you did. However, I did find that the 34/22 with 11/36 cassette didn't work even with the right derailleur, but other gears had no problems (34/22 with 11/34 cassette and 36/24 with 11/34 cassette).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Stripes,

During my entire ride today, I was thinking of a post where you mentioned solving your shift problems by switching cassettes.

I'm not sure what is going on with mine. I just came back in from the garage. After ditching the instructions for both derailleurs and doing what just made sense to me, I think I have worked through my issues. A test ride up and down the street and it seemed much better.

Hopefully the rain/snow holds off enough tomorrow that I can get in an early morning ride to see how it does on the trail.

I bet your husband notices the difference tomorrow. I certainly didn't notice pedaling it around on the street at the house. Out on the trial....total difference.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by sam-eye-am View Post
    Stripes,

During my entire ride today, I was thinking of a post where you mentioned solving your shift problems by switching cassettes.

I'm not sure what is going on with mine. I just came back in from the garage. After ditching the instructions for both derailleurs and doing what just made sense to me, I think I have worked through my issues. A test ride up and down the street and it seemed much better.

Hopefully the rain/snow holds off enough tomorrow that I can get in an early morning ride to see how it does on the trail.

I bet your husband notices the difference tomorrow. I certainly didn't notice pedaling it around on the street at the house. Out on the trial....total difference.
    My cassette issues tend to deal with stupid gearing combos like a 36T up front with an 11/36 cassette. Probably not a great idea

I had some problems with an older XTR rear derailleur (2010?) but the new XTR Trail (I think you run SRAM right/) fixed it. In my case, I think my old XTR was just not able to handle what I dealt it.

Let us know how your second ride turns out. This is my first ride on stronger rims/higher gears/lighter tires since I've been out of commission for two months (strained pec muscle, OW), so I'll let you know if I run into any gearing issues.

I'm also running a chainguide. Original build had the E13 DRS, then nothing. There were some problems when I wasn't running a chainguide, but that was more the front derailleur and a crappy middle chainring. Now the bike has to the MRP 2x (ISCG05 tabs) and that helps with a lot of front derailleur issues I had.

I'll give you a report tomorrow with my husband's bike (no chainguide, 32/22 with 11/36 cassette) and my bike (chainguide, 36/24 and 11/34 cassette) and let you know what we notice.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Lightly salted
    Nice looking Ciclon! I also went from an X5 to the 2012 Ciclon and couldn't be happier! The new Ciclons slack-ish head angle and short chain stays really make for a quick handling yet stable bike thats alot of fun. I hadn't had any shift issues with my bike running 24/32 11-34. Hopefully you'll get your shifting sorted out so you can fully enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Got in another ride this morning. Still loving the what it rides. fuenstock, you are right...it is a quick handling and stable bike. I'm plowing over some roots that on the X-5 I got bumped around more and when it turns to buffed carved single track...I'm hitting it at speeds I previously hadn't. At least it feels that way

I think I have the shifting sorted out for the most part. The rear der cable slipped out of the cradle/perch below the BB despite the hook tape that was provided with the frame. Firmly attahced for now and will monitor closely.

I also may have screwed up the chain line on my own. When I got all the parts with the PF adapter and BB bearings already installed, I ignored the instructions for the PF adapter. This time I went back and looked at them. Added 3mm in spacers on the drive side outboard of the drive side bearings. I am now a lot closer to being able to use the entire 11-34 9spd cassette without having the chain rub on either side of the front der while on the middle chain ring of my 3 ring setup.

I still get a *little* bit of chain rub on the front der when on either the 11 tooth or the 34 tooth cog and applying heavy torque while seated. When on the 34T, it will rub on the inside of the front der. When on the 11T, it will rub on the outside of the front der. All while on the middle chain ring, but now only under heavy torque while seated. If I stand up or lighten up the pedal effort..no rubbing. Beats me.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Nice looking Ciclon! I also went from an X5 to the 2012 Ciclon and couldn't be happier! The new Ciclons slack-ish head angle and short chain stays really make for a quick handling yet stable bike thats alot of fun. I hadn't had any shift issues with my bike running 24/32 11-34. Hopefully you'll get your shifting sorted out so you can fully enjoy the new ride.
    Fuenstock: How much does your 2012 Ciclon weigh?

Update from yesterday's ride, and relating to some of the things fuenstock says. Russ rode his bike for the first time on the trail yesterday (5 mile shorty, but hey, we've been off the bikes for 2 months and I've been in recovery).

Russ is coming off an X-5 from 2008.

This is Russ' thoughts:
    - On the initial descent of the trail, Russ said he had to work on not steering so hard because the bike turns a lot more easily than the X-5 did. Russ said he wasn't ready for the quick handling. Significant difference oer the X-5.
    - It climbs much better than the X-5. He made climbed stuff that would usually tire him out and he was fine.
    - On the descents, he was able to make switchbacks before that he couldn't make in the past because the X-5 is so high up.
    - No drivetrain problems. Shifting was fine.
    - "This is one sweet ride."

My thoughts after not being on the bike in a while:
    - Wow! I don't have to hold the brakes in fear anymore. I can let the bike just handle it.
    - The bike handles the technical sections better without having feeling that you're hitting something square and getting shot right up.
    - Climbs amazing still. Even though my lungs couldn't keep up with my legs and I have harder gears, all the uphill switchbacks were no problems at all.
    - Taking off the Flows rims was the best thing I could do for my ride. I know a lot of people like them, but I don't ride "light" or "smooth," and I think that was taking away from the ride because they're not as stiff as the Mavic 521s.
    - Shifting is much better with the chainguide on it.
    - The descents: wow.. it's just like flying

His build is 32.4 lbs, mine is 35 lbs. While neither of our bikes is on the light side, they don't ride like they're as heavy as they are.

Russ' build is XC/Trail at 140mm:
    - 17" Stock 2012 El Ciclon
    - X-Fusion Velvet fork
    - XT drivetrain with 32/22 and 11/36 cassette
    - GD Turbo
    - 719/Hadley wheels with Minion DHF 2.35 front and WTB Prowler XT 2.2 in the back
    - Hayes 9 brakes
    - RF XC Cranks, platform pedals, 28" bars, 70mm stem

My build is AM/Trail at 150mm rear with semi-custom front for 160mm fork:
    - 15" frame with 10mm shorter reach
    - Fox 36 Van RC2
    - XT drivetrain with 36/24 and 11/34 cassette and MRP 2x
    - GD Turbo
    - Shimano Saint Brakes
    - 521/King wheels with Specialized Butcher Control 2.3 front and Purgatory Control 2.2 back
    - RF Atlas cranks, platform pedals, 28.5" bars, 70mm stem
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Fuenstock: How much does your 2012 Ciclon weigh?
    I'm always changing things up on my bikes. Currently its at about 29lbs according to my cheap fishing scale so not sure how accurate that number is.
    Last edited by fuenstock; 02-20-2012 at 08:48 PM.