mtbr member
    Aug 2008

First Race on El Rey

Iíve got 3 months and 800 miles of riding under my belt now on my new bike including a team duo 100 mile mtn bike race this past weekend. I can still say I love the bike. It was a course with a huge range of trail conditions. Lots of roots crossing the trails that really made the suspension shine. Lots of sandy spots, with loose rocks too. Nothing slowed me down. Some off camber nasty turns that I just pointed the bike at and it shot right through. What I was most impressed with though were the really steep technical climbs that the bike just ate up as well Ė I just had to supply the power and it cleaned everything. Almost effortlessly at times. The rear suspension just planted that rear tire and crawled over whatever was in my way. I passed numerous people walked technical spots that I just motored on through. Last year on my Marble Peak I was walking those sections too. This bike is a keeper. You never have a doubt in the ability of the bike to handle something. The rear tire goes where you expect it and just makes everything so much more fun. If you are on the fence because itís a couple of pounds heavier than others, have no fear, those couple of pounds are wisely used.

Edit...we got 2nd place. Only 7 minutes down from 1st. Going for the win in October.
    Last edited by Endo73; 06-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.

congrats!

is this the new redesigned el rey?
    i'm deciding between the sc trc and the ciclon to replace my 1st gen Terremoto, so good to hear the suspension redesign is working well

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes it's the new El Rey...the one with the oh so sexy curving top tube.

Team Chilidog!
    Unfluid one: since you're local to me (South Bay), let me know if you want to check out the new suspension design on the Ciclon with a 160mm fork . It's not an El Rey, but you can see what you think of it.

Endo: congrats!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have two races so far this year on my El Rey. 3rd place on both. It climbs surprisingly well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll be racing mine for the first time this Saturday. My "race bike" is broken and awaiting replacement. I built up another bike for racing thinking there was no way I was going to race my 29 pound, 120mm/100mm trail bike. But after riding the sub-24 lb bike on the course, then riding my El Rey the next day...let's just say that I already disassembled the lighter one. I'm just so much more comfy on it, and the thing just rides so well and fast. That just beats the snot out of trying to get adjusted to a new set-up in 2 rides before a race.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Unfluid one: since you're local to me (South Bay), let me know if you want to check out the new suspension design on the Ciclon with a 160mm fork . It's not an El Rey, but you can see what you think of it.

Endo: congrats!

Thanks Stripes for the kindness.
    I decided to pull to plug already & just placed an order for a medium ciclon with similar add-ons as yours (seatpost tabs, iscg), with 142x12 and a nifty bright custom color

Team Fearless Descender

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one View Post
    Thanks Stripes for the kindness.
    I decided to pull to plug already & just placed an order for a medium ciclon with similar add-ons as yours (seatpost tabs, iscg), with 142x12 and a nifty bright custom color

Sweet!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Second race on 2012 El Rey and again I got 2nd place, in my age group. The bike simply does what you ask of it. And it does it well.