mtbr member

Fantasy shootout, Chamuco vs the other SP compition

Hello gang, just wondering if the mtb world had real shootouts like in the dirtbike world with multiple bikes and riders of all abilities how would the Chamuco do against the rivals.
    The compition would be all 6" plus single pivots like: SC Bullit, Yeti ASX, Orange Patriot, and the Cannondale gemini. Trails, climbs, sigletrack, DH runs, and drops for the test track.
    How would the Ventana do against these other proven rides, the Orange and C'dale have Championship titles. Craftsmanship will be a strong point, but the Orange does look nice and I think even costs more. Would the Ventana be at a handicap because its atleast 1"+ down on travel to the other bikes, 6" is now close to just trail bike stats. Would a 6"er have a chance against these other bikes in real world tests? Stiffness will most likely come between the Chamuco ans ASX, might also come down to the Romic vs 5th Element, and hope the Romic dont puke its guts out of the Compression adjuster. Would the 1.5 headtube be at and atvantage over the bullit and chamuco?
    This sure would be a blast to do.

No, that's not phonetic
    I demoed a Gemini (7x7 with a Swinger 4 Way coil and Sherman Breakout Plus) and fooled around briefly on an ASX (7x7 with a 5th coil and same fork). I have not been on the other two you mentioned. The ASX is an absolute anchor. I mean this thing is so putridly heavy it was unbelievable. I'm really impressed by the guy riding it that he kept up and how well he did on our rides. The ASX is a freerider, pure and simple. No human should contemplate pedaling one of these unless they need something to survive poorly executed 10-footers-to-flat and want knee surgury after every climb. I am also not sure how you could achieve a comfortable position on the bike for trailbike cruising. It fits like a DH bike...

The Gemini pedaled like crap. The middle ring was ok with the Swinger's SPV chamber maxed out, but the granny was a big disappointment with the extreme pedal feedback and suspension lockout under heavy pedal loads. The good thing is you can dial in a reasonable position on it for decent pedaling on the flat sections. It went down like a 747 in a blizzard. Personally, I'd use it for shuttles, not much else.

I think the Chamuco and Orange would be a bit lighter and more trail-bike leaning. Try before you buy.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Frequent Crasher
    Well As far as Freeride type bikes, the Chamuco can't use DC forks. I have an ASX and yes its heavy, but I built it like a tank, SHerman Slider, MRP bones, etc I might build it a little lighter, but I hope to get good at riding stunts and I want a bike that will hold together.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    the Chamuco can't use DC forks.
    Says who?
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Bike Hoor
    Larry, I called Sherwood myself on that one, and he was a bit leary about it.. although he didn't say NOT to do it (DC on Chamuco that is)... but I am sure someone is doing it JUST FINE.

As far as the ASX and Bullit go, they are about a pound heavier in frame weight... so suggesting that they will be MUCH heavier is a bit far fetched. It will depend on build level. I ride an ASX as my everyday bike and it is a bear, but it's manageable on the hills. I think the bottom line is that none of the above bikes are what you want if you are looking to climb 4000 vert feet. If you climb a bit as a necessary evil.. then anyone of them will suit you fine if you are careful about the build.

And yes, the build quality of the Chamuco is at the top of the heap. No question about it.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

Frequent Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Says who?
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    I e-mailed Sherwood and he said no DC forks. I will post the mail when I get home.

mtbr member
    Well with todays 6" SC forks, and the higher tech models to come out in 05, I dont think that a DC fork is really needed. I guess that when I mentioned drops I should have said the drops you would run into on the trail, like 1-5'ers. I dont really even do 5' drops, but someday perhaps. Ive seen pic's and video clips of bikes like Blur's doing 5'ers with 4" forks.

Frequent Crasher
    Hi Bobby,
    Dual crown forks are not compatible with Chamuco. I would suggest a medium (17") frame for your stature. And red anodize is the only color available. El Chamuco..."the Devil"...should be red shouldn't it?
    Best regards,
    Sherwood

That is what Sherwood sent to me. My main reason for asking about DC forks, was that I had a sherman slider 6" fork sitting unused.... until I got my AS-X that is.

mtbr member
    How do you like the AS-X, I have heard they are heavy but considering what they are made for weight really isnt an issue. Have you ever ridden a Bullit?

Bob

[QUOTE. until I got my AS-X that is.[/QUOTE]

Frequent Crasher
    I am 90% done with the construction of my bike. I did ride it down the street, but I couldn't shift it as I have not wired the cables yet. It is fairly heavy, but very solid. My build is Single tracks with DH 13 butted spokes Velocity 20 mm hub and Woodman readr hub, Manitou Slider DC fork, FSA FR230 stem, Salsa Loco 31.8 bars, XT 760 cranks, e.13 trans red bashguard, XT front and short cage rear derailleurs, XT shifters, Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 tires. I am just waiting on the Magura FR brakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0