mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fair Price for a el Salt

I'm looking at buying a lightly used 2006 el Saltamontes. Asking $3100. Its got the 5" rocker and quad bearings. Does it seem a fair price? Components look pretty good to me except the wheels.

Here is the specs:
    * Handlebar - Easton EC 70 carbon
    * Brake Lever - Magura Marta SL carbon
    * Shifters - Sram X0 gripshift
    * grips - Oury Lock-on
    * Stem - Thomson
    * Headset spacers - Chris King
    * Headset - Mango Chris King
    * Fork - Marzochi SL 700 with ATA
    * Brake Calipers - Magura Marta SL with wavy rotors
    * Front Hub - Mango Chris King disc
    * Spokes - Black DT Swiss with Blue alloy nipples
    * Rims - Mavic X 321 disc
    * Skewers - Blue Salsa Stainless
    * Tires - WTB Weirwolf LT 26x2.55
    * Rear shock - Fox RP3
    * Cranks - K-force carbon
    * Front derailer - Shimano XTR
    * Seatpost - Cannondale Carbon
    * Seat - Fizik Gobi with Titanium rails
    * Chain - Shimano XTR
    * Cassette - Shimano XTR (11-34)
    * Rear Derailer - Sram X0
    * Rear Hub - Chris King disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If is truly lightly used with zero dings and mnior scratches, you have a decent list of components for a light XC bike (though the Salty is one tough frame) and it isn't a bad deal. Try to get him down to around $2,700 though. That fork is okay and the rims are okay but the rest is great.

Edit- I sold my 2006 for $3K and we could hardly find a scratch on it but I had a custom tubeless wheelset with Hadley hubs and a RS Revelation U-Turn fork. I also had Quad bearings and a RP23.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I forgot- I also sold him a Gravity Dropper Turbo I had just acquired from a buddy who didn't want to use it- that was new and he paid $200 so I truly sold the bike for $2,800 back in May/June.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks

I didn't realize that the suspension was just so-so. Checked the reviews on the site and looks like neither the front fork or the rp3 are all that great. I would definitely want to build some UST wheels for this ride, which is another $550. But I do like the rest of the components.

There is only one scratch on the bike and appears to be well maintained.

So frustrating. Would really love this bike, but don't want to overspend. I'll hold out for a lower price--I might get him down to $2600.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The RP3 isn't bad actually. The fork is so-so but you can live with it for a while and see how you like it. The wheels will not cost you $550- just reuse those hubs and get some 819, Arch, or Flow rims. You could even reuse the nipples and possibly the spokes but definitely the hubs. Your new wheelset should be more like $200.

That frame is a gem and you do have good components and really nice hubs. If you can get it for $2,600, it would be a steal in that condition but given the rest of the components (nicer than mine were) I'd be fine with $2,800 or so. That setup would probably cost $4,500 to build paying less than MSRP on everything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was thinking of keeping the original wheels as a second set and building some new wheels with Mavic 819s (which I have found for $50), but then why would I ever use the original wheels? Don't think I would.

I added up the price at competitive cyclist for kicks, it would be around $5500. Of course you can get things cheaper building it up yourself, and more personal to me. But I don't have $5000 and my wife would kill me for spending that much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You can build it for far less but let's not get into that. I didn't realize you were going to build new wheels. I'd rather use the CK hubs and rebuild the existing wheelset and make them UST. Those hubs are really nice and if you have not owned CK's hubs, the feel and engagement is really nice. Those hubs are around $550 by themselves and I would certainly use them and replace the rim and spokes.

A backup wheelset isn't really needed, in my opinion. You can get the 819s for $100 and the spokes would be around $30. That's over $400 cheaper than buying another wheelset. Just my opinion but why waste the best hubs you can find and why tie up so much money in two wheelsets unless you want to build one really light and have one heavy duty set for different purposes.

Bring it.
    Ok the fork sucks (speaking from experience) and seriously, why not just build the perfect bike that has everything you want on it ? Is a couple hundred bucks difference worth making a bunch of compromises ? My first Ventana was a brand new pre-built bike (from a shop), and I'll never do that again. We all have components that we like / dislike. For a top-shelf bike, why compromise because of price ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Dude

RP3"s are fine shocks. I don't know who told you they suck. Pickup a couple of 819 rims and re-lace those kings and you will have a sick set of tubeless wheels. I'd still haggle on the price. Especially cause a 5 in Salt is really just a band-aided Ciclon with a high bb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I will haggle on the price, and I'm planning to follow flyer's advice on price on this. I will try for 2600, and will go a little over that. I figure at that price, I'm getting a good deal over what I could afford otherwise. I could still get a new fork (if I try it and don't like it) and rebuild the wheels with the rims I want. I expect there may be a few other switches to make with saddle/handlebars/stem whatever that I will need to make this the perfect bike for myself. Otherwise it is pretty close to how I would like to build it, if I did it myself. In fact the components are better than what I could afford to put together if I bought it piece by piece getting good deals on parts. I figure I can get a fork and new wheels for about $600 total. And maybe I can unload the fork for a few bucks.

Question: I tested a new el Salt with 4" rockers, and it seemed perfect for me, but haven't tried the 5" rockers on the trail.. How does the 5" compare? How does it perform? (I will be using this as an occasional race bike and for trail rides in Utah.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's my take on the rockers. It will raise the BB a bit and make thebike feel taller. You may or may not like it. However, if you decide to go with the 4" rockers, you can sell the 5" one here or on Ebay. Several riders like the 5" rockers. You can call Larry or Chad and get the 4" rockers. Regarding the fork, I would not go out of my way to buy it but you may like it a lot, especially if it reliable. Those who like that fork do like it a lot. The ones that do not like it state reliability concerns and inaccurate psi recommendations as primary issues. Just use lower psi than recommended that Marz. If it has lasted so far, it should be fine. I like all the components and would personally simply change the rims and switch rockers down the road if the 5" didn't agree with me.

The new Salty frame itself is around $2K with Quads and RP23. A good build would cost another $2,500 or more if you go really blingy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yeah, I'll wait to ride and then decide what parts I want to switch out to my liking. I want to know what I like or don't like about the bike which will take quite a few rides for me to decide. I do want to go tubeless, however.

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudhut
    Yeah, I'll wait to ride and then decide what parts I want to switch out to my liking. I want to know what I like or don't like about the bike which will take quite a few rides for me to decide. I do want to go tubeless, however.
    I loved my salt with 5" rockers and a 4" fork. I just sagged the rear end a little extra. It was a friggin' Cadillac. Mavic XM321 is Mavic's low end pinned rim. Plenty strong just not very expensive. Mavic 819s are killer strong and you can use tubes with them. You could try tubeless down the road if you wanted. Personally I think tubeless is the way to go. Right now I'm setting up my road bike tubeless.

My salt was a 04 and I sold it for $1600. Top pic is how it was sold. Bottom pic is in 5" rear mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]