Just A Mountain Biker.

El Terremoto Shock - RP23 & HV Can?

I was just fortunate enough to acquire an El Terremoto today, and I have a question about the shock. This bike has the RP23, but the HV cannister not the regular. I have searched and can't find where the HV was ever spec'd on the bike, so I am wondering if its a bad idea to have it on there? How will it affect riding characteristics? It sure is PLUSH now, but I also can't find a setup guide so I am doing rider weight + 5lbs like I used to on my 575.

And please, at this time I am not looking to go to a coil shock, maybe in the future a CCDB. Possibly would consider a Push'd Monarch + or Monarch AM now, but for the moment I would like to work with what I have - maybe get it Push'd if needed.

TIA

edit: It's an El Terremoto (newer version), not a 6.0. Thanks Theresa!
    Last edited by blaklabl; 01-13-2012 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeerguy View Post
    I was just fortunate enough to acquire an El Terremoto 6.0 today, and I have a question about the shock. This bike has the RP23, but the HV cannister not the regular. I have searched and can't find where the HV was ever spec'd on the bike, so I am wondering if its a bad idea to have it on there? How will it affect riding characteristics? It sure is PLUSH now, but I also can't find a setup guide so I am doing rider weight + 5lbs like I used to on my 575.

And please, at this time I am not looking to go to a coil shock, maybe in the future a CCDB. Possibly would consider a Push'd Monarch + or Monarch AM now, but for the moment I would like to work with what I have - maybe get it Push'd if needed.

TIA
    i bought my Terremoto straight from Ventana w/ the HV 23 stock. i found out pretty quick i couldn't ride it w/o shimming it. before i did, i got in touch w/ Ventana, talked at length w/ the owner about how easy it bottomed out & he sent me a regular can 23 that wouldn't give me full travel @ 30% sag. so, sent back the small can shock & shimmed the removeable "outside" HV can. you familiar w/ that shim process? works great. lots of people on lots of bikes have had to shim their HV 23 to keep from going through travel easier than acceptable. it's not a bad shock at all in my opinion, it just is common to go through the travel pretty easy, but shimming is so totally simple, it's not a drawback. let's you custom tune it really. a real plus is it still has great small bump cush. i'm 175 riding weight & @ 30% sag i run 160psi after removing pump. good luck
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It sure is PLUSH now, but I also can't find a setup guide so I am doing rider weight + 5lbs like I used to on my 575.
    TIA
    Remember to focus on setting up your suspension using SAG (i.e: % of travel), not some arbitrary number of a quazi-accurate hand pump! I have a buddy that came from a 575 and he was always hung up on running "riding weight in psi" on his shocks on subsequent frames...there is so much more going on with suspension that that one PSI number has little bearing when moving from different frames with different travel, suspension ratios and suspension curves.

Also, keep in mind the TM has a falling end-stroke, which means it will eat thru travel a bit more easily at the end of the stroke than in the couple preceeding inches. This couples up nicely with a shock with progression - air shocks have this inherently and some shocks have a bottom out control that is adjustable (dhx series, etc). The HV air can will be less progressive (more linear, like a coil) in its behavior than the SV air can, which nhodge alludes to ramping up to fast to get full travel.

That being said, enjoy the new whip...where's the pics?!

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post

That being said, enjoy the new whip...where's the pics?!
    Thank you both for the advice. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to get out on a real ride yet, but will do that this weekend. I was going strictly off the driveway test on Wednesday night.

As for pictures, I will get some up this weekend. This bike belonged to my best friend Brian that passed away on October 18th of this past year after a long battle with pancreatitis. The end was sudden and unexpected, but hey sh*t happens.

His widow, who is also a good friend of mine, contacted me last week and told me she wanted me to have it, as well as all of his "bike stuff". Her feeling was that he would have wanted me to have it and use it, rather than her sell it to some stranger. It was a very humbling moment, as I had to get rid of my AM bike last year when I quite frankly needed the cash. I was down to my rigid SS Raleigh XXIX at this point.

Brian had purchased the bike in 2009, and I honestly think he had ridden it 3x at the most as he became ill shortly after getting it and he wasn't able to do much physical activity without subjecting himself to great pain (which he tried to do anyways because of his love of riding). He was also an expert bike mechanic, even spending the late 90's and early 2000's as the Service Manager @ Bicycle Warehouse in San Diego, so needless to say I also inherited his vast selection of Park tools and other miscellaneous tools. Now I find myself with a truing stand (that I will have to learn how to use!) and a lot of duplicate tools that I need to distribute to friends that don't have them. But I also ended up with a lot of things that I was chronically borrowing like a Park headset press, for which I will be eternally grateful.

So the bottom line is that no matter how little use the bike saw, he was always dedicated to making sure it was the best it could be. It's pretty decked out, and all it needed was a set of tires because the ones he had on there had been hanging for about 2 years and were showing sign of rot and corrosion based on the Stan's that sat pooled in them as they dried. I picked up a set of Purgatory 2.4 GRIDS yesterday that I will be mounting tonight for my maiden voyage this weekend.

This is 25th year riding mountain bikes (started when I was 12!), and I can honestly say I have never been more stoked about a bike as I am to have this one and honor my friend by riding the crap out of it.

Sorry to be so long winded, all of that just came rushing out, the short version is I will get some pics up soon

RIP BDP
    (Brian is in red on the left, I'm on the right. And that's the infamous Dirdir in the middle. Taken at Oak Creek Brewing Company, Sedona AZ)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Terremoto Shock - RP23 & HV Can?-100_0935.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wow, that is a great story. Sorry for your loss, it sounds like the bike ended up where he woulda wanted it - in very appreciative hands.

Was he at the BW in N. county or the one off 5 near PB? I lived less than 3 miles from the PB location and worked less than 3 from the n. county location, and I frequented both while I lived in SD from 2001-2005.

I am sure that you'll feel/think of him while using his tools of the trade, and I'm sure you'll both be smiling while ripping some trail on the new bike.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Was he at the BW in N. county or the one off 5 near PB? I lived less than 3 miles from the PB location and worked less than 3 from the n. county location, and I frequented both while I lived in SD from 2001-2005.
    I met Brian when he moved to AZ in 2004, but I am 99% sure he was at the location off of the 5 in San Diego, not too far from Mission Beach area? (I only know that because I passed it once on a trip with my family to Sea World and asked him if that was the one he had worked at - he said yes). I believe it's Mike that is/was the owner, they kept in touch over the years. He was ex-Navy so I am pretty sure he was in the southern location.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thank you both for the advice. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to get out on a real ride yet, but will do that this weekend. I was going strictly off the driveway test on Wednesday night.

As for pictures, I will get some up this weekend. This bike belonged to my best friend Brian that passed away on October 18th of this past year after a long battle with pancreatitis. The end was sudden and unexpected, but hey sh*t happens.

His widow, who is also a good friend of mine, contacted me last week and told me she wanted me to have it, as well as all of his "bike stuff". Her feeling was that he would have wanted me to have it and use it, rather than her sell it to some stranger. It was a very humbling moment, as I had to get rid of my AM bike last year when I quite frankly needed the cash. I was down to my rigid SS Raleigh XXIX at this point.

Brian had purchased the bike in 2009, and I honestly think he had ridden it 3x at the most as he became ill shortly after getting it and he wasn't able to do much physical activity without subjecting himself to great pain (which he tried to do anyways because of his love of riding). He was also an expert bike mechanic, even spending the late 90's and early 2000's as the Service Manager @ Bicycle Warehouse in San Diego, so needless to say I also inherited his vast selection of Park tools and other miscellaneous tools. Now I find myself with a truing stand (that I will have to learn how to use!) and a lot of duplicate tools that I need to distribute to friends that don't have them. But I also ended up with a lot of things that I was chronically borrowing like a Park headset press, for which I will be eternally grateful.

So the bottom line is that no matter how little use the bike saw, he was always dedicated to making sure it was the best it could be. It's pretty decked out, and all it needed was a set of tires because the ones he had on there had been hanging for about 2 years and were showing sign of rot and corrosion based on the Stan's that sat pooled in them as they dried. I picked up a set of Purgatory 2.4 GRIDS yesterday that I will be mounting tonight for my maiden voyage this weekend.

This is 25th year riding mountain bikes (started when I was 12!), and I can honestly say I have never been more stoked about a bike as I am to have this one and honor my friend by riding the crap out of it.

Sorry to be so long winded, all of that just came rushing out, the short version is I will get some pics up soon

RIP BDP
    (Brian is in red on the left, I'm on the right. And that's the infamous Dirdir in the middle. Taken at Oak Creek Brewing Company, Sedona AZ)
    you've probably got the best reason i've ever heard of to make the most out of a bike. your friend had exellent taste in quality & you'll benefit for years to come honoring his wifes generousity. i plan on riding mine for a long time, been doing all my own bike maintenance for years, so any questions you might have that i hopefully would be able to help you w/, ask away. PM me if you like
    breezy shade

Shovel Ready

RIP BDP
    A few good men.

RIP Brian.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Thanks for sharing that story, as mentioned before sorry to hear about Brian, sounded like a cool dude. You are honoring him by riding that which he enjoyed. True Passion.
    OLE!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Team Fearless Descender
    my best friend Brian that passed away on October 18th of this past year after a long battle with pancreatitis. The end was sudden and unexpected...
    Just in case you needed a reason to get out an ride with friends as soon as possible.

Very cool story azbeerguy, about a very humbling thing.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff