melon farmer

El Terremanewone 6.1

So due to the fact that I'm horribly unfit I decided it was time to update a few bits on the bike and make it a little lighter, as the chances of me losing weight are slim to none.

The biggest change is new wheels - Gold Hope Pro IIs laced to DT 5.1s with double butted DT spokes and black ProLock nips. Nice. My old Pro II/Mavic 721 wheels will be kept for dedicated DH duties and will spend time on one of the spare bikes in between.

I've been swapping back and forth between the CCDB and the low-volume RP23 and I have to say, I like the RP23 for XC but it is noticeably less supple over the small stuff and doesn't cope nearly as well with rocky terrain, which Canberra has plenty of. The CCDB will always be a better shock, but losing a pound of weight going to the RP23 is nice. Maybe a Ti spring is would be a good trade off?

To complement my previous purchase of an 08 XT shadow rear derailleur and shifters, I've got 08 XT cranks, XT cassette and XTR chain. I have also swpapped the old DX (M647) pedals to the new M770 XT models.

First ride today was great fun despite pulling an unintentional superman thanks to a deep patch of loose gravel.

Here's some clean shots of the new build - the El Terremanewone 6.1:

EDIT: maybe I should've spelt it El Tearemanewone.. that was how it sounded in my head
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marcus_dukakis; 03-16-2008 at 12:42 PM.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Very nice those gold bits of kit really match with the super dust paint job. What's the new weight with those changes compared to before?

Everything looks great...but seriously...put the CCDB back on. You know you are going to anyway.

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    Everything looks great...but seriously...put the CCDB back on. You know you are going to anyway.
    Hehehehe - I was waiting for it Robb - yeah the CCDB is never too far away and there is NO WAY I'd ever sell it, but the RP23 is sufficient for XC duties. I'll swap back to the CCDB for next weekend, as I've got a few days riding planned, including some runs on a "private" DH course... hopefully will have some pics for you all.

Mtnbiker4life - according to the spreadsheet I've put together, the weight has gone from 33.5lbs to 31.5 lbs, but I have a strong feeling that some of my weights are not right, as they are from manufacturer's websites. The frame, fork and wheels/tires are all measured by me though.

Biggest weight loss is CCDB > RP23 (0.9lbs) and M647 > M770 pedals (0.5lbs). The DT rims saved 0.4lbs as well!

Now if I could just find somewhere no make up some stickers for the new name I'll be a happy man... anyone got a suggestion here?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    very nice, Markus!

I also have an RP23 on the way from the GBS in Montana.....will keep my coil shock around..just swap when necessary

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis
    yeah the CCDB is never too far away and there is NO WAY I'd ever sell it, but the RP23 is sufficient for XC duties.
    Perhaps it's just me, being overweight and all, but I never felt the stock RP3 or 23 was an ideal shock for a heavier rider. On a Turner, anyway.

But as you say, it's fine for XC.

I really dig the Moto, plus the blingy gold bits--For the money, I think the Hopes are the best hub out there.

Nice work!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Very nice. How often do you go to that big ring up front? No bashguard for ya?

melon farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Very nice. How often do you go to that big ring up front? No bashguard for ya?
    Cheers! The big ring gets used suprisingly often, and as testimony to my lameness, I've never busted a tooth on a big ring.

Have been thinking about going to a Blackspire Stinger and Gamut bash lately though because A) it looks cool and B) I have actually started having chain drop issues on the trails in my new home town.

mtbr member
    May 2004

lameness is nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_dukakis
    Cheers! The big ring gets used suprisingly often, and as testimony to my lameness, I've never busted a tooth on a big ring.

Have been thinking about going to a Blackspire Stinger and Gamut bash lately though because A) it looks cool and B) I have actually started having chain drop issues on the trails in my new home town.
    I think it has more to do with terrain, line picking and a touch of lameness.
    I ran into a problem with my Stinger bolts sitting not-flush and hitting the bolts that hold the small chainring onto the crankset (edit: on both 08XT and older RF X-type Evolve DH).

I took it off and have yet to put it back on (I'm a dremel noob and don't know which attachment to use to grind the face of the bolts down).
    I did like the lack of chain dropping as well as quicker shifting with it on.

I haven't had a huge problem dropping, but then again, I sprained the ankle and haven't ridden in weeks!

They do look cool though...

mtbr member
    Updated here too and ready to compete (race is too much a word!) in the "enduro series"

Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223

Don't listen to him, you saved a bunch of weight with the RP23.

More important, are you selling CCDB, cause I want one
    beaver hunt