mtbr member

Smile El Salty build up

Still a work in progress as I secure some of the components, will update this thread as I go. First, I want to re-thank all the fellow mtbr.com'rs that have sold me the used components that have all been in excellent condition that have enabled me to build up this awesome bike at a bargain. Here's my original thread - Newbie to the Ventana Clan

I received it like this, and was pleasantly surprised at the condition. You can't see the clay in all the crevices, but I sure am glad they don't have that stuff here where I ride. It was like trying to get tar out of the nooks and crannies -

The only real flaw (as disclosed properly by seller) was this scuff on the bottom of the top tube from a bike rack -

Since I'm a geek about stuff, I tried to fix the paint flaw with a rattle-can from Autozone, so here's my best fix as a paint hack -

Here's my paint and polish job complete. You can't really see the difference in the swingarm pics before and after, but after polishing with Mother's metal polish it really shines -

I sent the fork and shock off to Push, here they are ready to go -

Got the fork and shock back, started building her up (with the front-end components I bought recently as noted in original thread). I drank the Kool-Aid with the CK headset, and I gotta admit, it's like butta -

And the headshot, with the infamous Ventana badge -

Took my time to grease all threads and properly torque every bolt.

Next I'll be canibalizing my Santa Cruz Superlight for cranks, wheels, etc while my new brakes are on order. Going to hydraulic after having BB7's on the SL. I also blew my wad on a Boone ti middle chainring that will go onto the Raceface Turbine LP cranks (keeping the 8 speed alive). More pics to come as I continue on (and I'll post up the final build list), can't wait to ride this sucka.

Team Chilidog!
    Beautiful.. Can't wait to see the finished build.

I've got a new El Salt. It extemely nice. I have mine setup as a 1x9, and it just cruises. Amazingly fun on swoopy singletrack, and climbs very nicely. I can't quite haul on it like I can the X-5, but it's the perfect ride for twisty singletrack.

Just sayin', you're gonna love it! Olé!
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Looks nice. The slow builds get what you want, but they can be agonizing.

Enjoy the ride.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Really nice!

Good job on the spray paint fix too

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Looks nice. The slow builds get what you want, but they can be agonizing.

Enjoy the ride.

JmZ
    Thanks, you ain't kidding about "the waiting is the hardest part" (ala Tom Petty). Dying to get some saddle time in already.

Everything's together except the brakes that are on order. I couldn't use the Boone ti middle ring I bought since it has different spacing than the RF rings and was too close to the large ring. I think I'm gonna get a bashguard and go 2x8, looking on Pinkbike for a 5 bolt 94mm.

Here's a pic of the whole bike, sans brakes -

And my partially NOS 8 speed drivetrain -

Team Chilidog!
    I might have a 5 bolt 94mm, but it has to wait until after Xmas
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Brace, Do you have weight on that yet?
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chumbacabra
    Brace, Do you have weight on that yet?
    I just got back from my second ride, and LOVE this bike!! Definitely no regrets.

Regarding the weight, I built her up to be reliable and sturdy under my 200 lb body. With that said, I just weighed it on my wife’s Weight Watchers scale (which varies based on how your feet are positioned) so I did 7 attempts with both me and bike and just holding the bike on there and it averaged out to 28.92 lbs. Not too bad for a large with mostly older components, I thought.

Here’s my bargain build list –
    Frame and RP3 shock = $550
    Talas R fork = $150
    Push’d shock and fork, with new Talas cartridge = $370
    Thomson stem, CK headset, Monkey Lite handlebar = $135
    Brakes: XT levers, LX calipers = $110
    Total incremental cost (all used parts except the brakes are new) = $1315

The remaining components either came off my Santa Cruz Superlight, or out of my stock –
    Shifters: XTR 8 speed
    Derailleurs: XT front, XTR rear with SRP breakaway bolt
    Crankset: Raceface Turbine LP, Shimano UN54 BB
    Pedals: Shimano 959
    Cassette: XTR 12-32
    Chain = SRAM PC80R
    Wheels: Mavic XC717 with WTB LaserLite hubs
    Tires: front WTB Exiwolf, rear Geax Sturdy
    Rotors: Avid G2 cleansweeps
    Seatpost: Raceface XY
    Saddle: WTB Laser V
    Skewers & Seatpost clamp: Hope
    Shift cables & housing: Avid Flak Jackets ($5 from a LBS sidewalk sale)
    Grips: ODI Lockon Rogue

That's all I can think of, don't know if I should be proud or feel like a geek for knowing the make and model of every component on this bike. Was definitely built up with love and meticulous care.

I appreciate everyone from this site that sold me the majority of the components over the years, as waiting for all these bargains have made this possible for me to afford it.
    Last edited by Brace1; 12-24-2010 at 12:52 PM.