Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    123

    El Saltamontes: 5 inch rocker, BB height?

    Any one know if the BB height is affected by going with the bigger rockers? I am suspecting that it doesn't, but, am not sure. Waiting for a new frame and would like to know ahead of time.
    Thanks in advance,
    --a

  2. #2
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by anixi
    Any one know if the BB height is affected by going with the bigger rockers? I am suspecting that it doesn't, but, am not sure. Waiting for a new frame and would like to know ahead of time.
    Thanks in advance,
    --a
    Absolutely. It raises the BB significantly. Not recomended, hoss.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,405
    The BB is high enough at 4" but those who like high-ish BBs really like the height at 4", including me. At 5", the bike feels really tippy and unstable to me.

  4. #4
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,133
    Quote Originally Posted by anixi
    Any one know if the BB height is affected by going with the bigger rockers? I am suspecting that it doesn't, but, am not sure. Waiting for a new frame and would like to know ahead of time.
    Thanks in advance,
    --a
    If I remember correctly it raises the BB about 3/8". I ran a Salty with 5 inch rockers and a fork set at 110mm. I didn't really notice the extra BB height.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    123
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate your thoughts.

    I will be running a Fox Van 125 on the front, so it will be a little bit taller than 3/8". Will build it up and try it out. I'm in an area of lots of rock gardens, my stumpy had terrible problems with pedal strikes. I'm so tired of mangled ankles that it might be just perfect at around 1/2" taller than usual. I only weigh about 175, so all in all the ride shouldn't be too terribly top heavy.

    --a

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    123
    So I rec'd the frame, with a Romic rear shock. Frame weight is 7.07lbs. I think it can get lighter with a Float air shock.

    Ebay has one that is Fox float R 7.875in. x 2.25in. travel. This shock isn't a 2in. travel like I would want. Will it work?

    My question is: Will it work? Is this 2.25in. shock going to cause trouble with my frame/5 in. rockers?

    Thanks!

    --a

  7. #7
    Crazed Country Rebel
    Reputation: iheartbicycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4,863
    Quote Originally Posted by anixi
    So I rec'd the frame, with a Romic rear shock. Frame weight is 7.07lbs. I think it can get lighter with a Float air shock.

    Ebay has one that is Fox float R 7.875in. x 2.25in. travel. This shock isn't a 2in. travel like I would want. Will it work?

    My question is: Will it work? Is this 2.25in. shock going to cause trouble with my frame/5 in. rockers?

    Thanks!

    --a
    It's possible the crossbrace on the seatstay will hit the seat tube under full compression.

    Not a good idea.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

    Specialized sucks dong

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    123
    Ok, I measured the BB height, to center: 13.5 inches. That doesn't seem very high, does it?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FrankinMich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by anixi
    Ok, I measured the BB height, to center: 13.5 inches. That doesn't seem very high, does it?
    13.5" seems a bit on the tall side, but should be manageable. Definitely stick with the 2" travel shock. I run that setup (5" rocker with 2" stroke Fox Float R) on my El Salt, and at full travel the seatstay cross brace barely clears the seat tube.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    123
    Frankin,

    I'll definitely do that. 2.25 in. travel is very scary for me right now. I've set up the rear for 30percent sag, it almost bottoms out on small jumps. Perhaps I should crank it back up so I get more like 25percent, eh?

    BTW, it's a pushed float r, from mtnbikerforlife/du-bushing man. I'm REALLY impressed with the total lack of pedal bob, even at 30percent sag. Even at 29.3lbs, the thing literally climbs the big hills like a mountain goat, better even than my old S-Works Stumpy (which is 2lbs lighter). Love the set-up!

  11. #11
    The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Reputation: mtnbiker4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,133
    Quote Originally Posted by anixi
    BTW, it's a pushed float r, from mtnbikerforlife/du-bushing man. I'm REALLY impressed with the total lack of pedal bob, even at 30percent sag. Even at 29.3lbs, the thing literally climbs the big hills like a mountain goat, better even than my old S-Works Stumpy (which is 2lbs lighter). Love the set-up!
    I'm glad you like the shock. It's a great set it and forget it type of shock, Ole'

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •