mtbr member
    Oct 2007

El Salt rear travel with 5" rocker

To get the full 5" of rear travel with the 5" rocker what size shock is required? I currently have a Float R that came with the 4" rockers which is 7.875 x 2". And if I need to go to a different shock what would you recommend for mainly XC riding? Or can Push modify the Float R to work for me with the 5" rockers and addition of Propedal lever? I weigh 145 lbs.

Thanks!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    AFAIK, you use the same size shock if you use the 5" rockers than with 4".... you only need to go up to 2.25 stroke if you go to the 5/6" or 6" rockers...

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    AFAIK, you use the same size shock if you use the 5" rockers than with 4".... you only need to go up to 2.25 stroke if you go to the 5/6" or 6" rockers...
    You are correct!

MTB Missionary
    Quote Originally Posted by rms2
    To get the full 5" of rear travel with the 5" rocker what size shock is required? I currently have a Float R that came with the 4" rockers which is 7.875 x 2". And if I need to go to a different shock what would you recommend for mainly XC riding? Or can Push modify the Float R to work for me with the 5" rockers and addition of Propedal lever? I weigh 145 lbs.

Thanks!
    I'm wondering why you felt the need to go to 5" rockers? I'm 155lbs with gear and ride a Salty...but do a fair bit of AM riding. I rode for a while thinking I would want the 5" rockers as well, but I just haven't found that to be true. I have a DHX 5.0 coil on my bike, but it is very nearly too much shock for someone as light as me (and you), even with the correct sag and set-up (which only took, say....5 or 6 rides to get right!). But the point is....4" of travel on the Ventana feels more like 5" or 5.5" compared to other (inferiorly designed) FS bikes I've ridden. I have yet to bottom the shock out, even with up to 4' drops to flatish landings.

IMHO, if you are mainly riding XC and are only 145lbs, you should have kept the 4" rockers and changed the shock. I think the RP 23 (if you want to stay with Fox) would be spot on for your purposes. And if you have it PUSHed, that's all the better.

Having said that....let us know which set of rockers you prefer after riding the 5"-ers for a while. It will be interesting to see if you find an appreciable difference in the handling. And post some pix/set-up specs of your ride !
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the input - I'm glad the 7.875 x 2 Float R will get me the full 5". This El Salt is a very recent addition to my stable, my first ride on it was yesterday. I will be posting pics and build info on it and my other Ventanas soon - hopefully this week as time permits. I really enjoyed my first ride on the Salty and found that I was using almost all the rear travel as the o-ring on the Float R was at the bottom - I set it up with .5" sag as per the Fox manual, still have yet to dial the front which is a '06 Talas RL though I was getting about 110mm out of it (full travel is supposed to be 130 - if I have it setup right).

MTBDDS - I really don't know that I need the 5" travel - the frame came setup with the 5" rockers and the Float R, the 4" rockers are still packed - guess I'll switch out and see what those feel like at some point. I will say that the less impact that is transmitted to my spine the better. The trails I ride are pretty rough, (though I no longer catch big air), so some major shock absorption is pretty appealing.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know what the geometry differences are between the 4" and 5" setup? I am most interested in the BB height and HA.

Thanks for any info.

TG

MTB Missionary
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR
    Does anybody know what the geometry differences are between the 4" and 5" setup? I am most interested in the BB height and HA.

Thanks for any info.

TG
    AFAIK, going from 4" to 5" rockers on the El Salt only increases the BB height by about 1/4" (but going up to 6" rockers alters BB height a good deal more). So it follows that the HTA won't change a crucial amount either.

There have been other threads on this topic from guys who are a whole lot more knowledgeable (read: "techy bike engineer-type geek" here ) about these things than I am. So you might want to look back for those....

Make sure you check out the "Creaking Headset on the Bruja" thread for a great "geek-slap fest"....and pop some popcorn first.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot