mtbr member
    Jan 2004

el salt question

can the el salt be set up as a 5"/5" bike? (eg: are there 5" rockers for it? i don't really care about having adjustable travel.)

also, how does it ride with a 130mm fork (like a sherman or a z1)? is the z1 too tall for it?

thanks

what a joke

yes

I run my salty 5x5 have a Z1 up front and Float R and the adjustable 3/4/5 travel in the rear but run it in the 5" mode. At 5x5 its a great trail bike. I always had the intention of buying an adjustable travel fork to match the back for fast open flat trails but never bothered as I did not feel the 5x5 held me back.
    blah blah blah

mtbr member

Yup

I purchased the 5" Rocker from Ventana (non adjustable). It is the same Rocker they use on the X5. This setup is much cleaner looking then using the 3-4-5 Rocker and it saves some weight. I have the 5" Adjustable Fox Talas up front. This is a great combination. The head angle with Fork/Rocker combination is around 70 Deg or so which is perfect for Trail riding. The Marzocchi 5" Z1's are significanlty taller than the Fox Talas. This would make your head angle much slacker. Some guys may prefer this since it make your bike more stable going down hill but you trade-off climbing perfomance.

Powered by ice cream.
    I also have a salt with the 3-4-5 rocker and Fox Talas front fork, and am quite happy with it. I keep the rear in 5 all the time. I drop the fork travel for extremely steep sustained uphills, otherwise, I leave it in 5 inches also. The rear end actually seems to hook up better in the 5 inch setting compared to the 4 inch setting when climbing steep stuff.
    Top tube clearance can be an issue if you have short legs.

Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I also have the 3-4-5 rocker, but with a 5th element and a new Z1FRSL up front. I ran the rocker in 4in. mode for the first 6 mos. When I switched it to 5in. I loved it. Very smooth. The fork is only a couple of months old. It was great in the trees on very tight technical trails. Not too slack. But climbing is taking some getting used to, very tall. I've actually been lowering the air pressures quite a bit lately and having really good results. Much sweeter, and can't bottom the front out. I'm 5'11", on a 17" frame. I don't mind the tall riding position except on slow-speed falls. It's a long way down.