mtbr member
    Mar 2004

El Salt-Pushed Float or 5th Element?

Which way to go. Get my Fox Float RL Pushed for $138 or buy a 5th Element for double that? The Pushed Float sounds like the way to go. Does anyone have experience on either/both of these? It is for a El Salt with 4" travel and I am running a Fox Float 100RLC up front. I weigh about 215lbs. Thanks, Bill.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeygas
    Which way to go. Get my Fox Float RL Pushed for $138 or buy a 5th Element for double that? The Pushed Float sounds like the way to go. Does anyone have experience on either/both of these? It is for a El Salt with 4" travel and I am running a Fox Float 100RLC up front. I weigh about 215lbs. Thanks, Bill.
    Personally, I'd say no contest at all. The 5th rides great if/when it's actually working, but reliability isn't great. A Push'ed Float will be comparable in ride quality but more reliable, and less expensive.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

11 is one louder than 10

The push...

Go with the Push. The 5th isn't a bad shock at all. I found it rode a bit firmer than even my Push does. My push was valved as a trail bike though (they have different options). The 5th is a bit racier feel. The only advantage to the 5th is that the SPV platform is adjustable if you like to really play with those things. However, the Push is valved for you and has a 2 stage dampener. I prefered the push, and sold my 5th.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

kev
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. what's a "pushed" Float?

never heard of it, though that doesn't mean much. can someone fill me in on the details? I have a Float R ProPedal on an El Salt set at 5" travel witha Talas RLC up front.

TIA

kev

Bodhisattva
    Push Industries...www.pushindustries.com

They do custom shock valving. Currently they only do Fox shocks but will be including Manitou & perhaps other shortly. They came on the scene this winter.

Customization includes several mods:
    - complete replacement of the all the innards & seals with customized high quality polyurethane compenents. In the end you're only left with the original shell
    - installation of separate mid & high speed circuits which allow for independent slow & high speed dampening
    - recharging of the nitrogen which should be done yearly
    - installation of a propedal-like platform

They customize each shock to the rider, bike & terrain.
    End result if an incredibly silk smooth shock that tracks like a bloodhound and stays glued to the terrain while still providing a "plusher" feel than a stock shock.

Did mine in March. Loving it. Have referred several friends to PUSH and they've all completely satisfied. Haven't seen a bad review yet here on the forum. You can search the shock board for more opinions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Got my Fox Pushed

Well, I went with the Pushed upgrade to my Fox float and I have to say it is probably the best $138.00 I have spent. The thing rides just like I wanted it to. On the flats it gives just a hint of movement so as to avoid the weird kind of bouncing I was getting when locking out the float. When standing and hammering it feels kind of hardtail like. When you hit the rough stuff it moves likes a '71 Caddy....SMOOTH! I really could not ask for anything more from this bike. I can't wait until Push Industries can do the same for the Fox Float fork. Anyone thinking about getting your shock Pushed...Do it. You will not regret it. I just hope it can keep it up for a while without a blowout.

mtbr member

Shock

Push it. Every bike I've tried with a 5th air felt like a locked out Fox that didn't move until the blowoff threshold was reached. Push = Plush.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

push

My 5th (7 7/8 i2i on x5) feels too stiff no matter how much pressure is in the spv chamber. I am back to my fox and will probably push it, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another vote for the Push treatment. I tried a Swinger 3-way and found it improved the pedaling A LOT but lost the supple, plush feel I was looking for in my ride. So I had my old Float Pushed and have been riding it for about 3 months now and think its a great compromise between pedaling efficiency and plushness. I do have a small amount of bob when out of the saddle, but its way better than stock. I may send it back to Push next winter to increase the platform a bit, but overall I was very happy with there service and product.
    Fezzy