hellraiser

El Rey travel options...

Hi folks,

After the great feedback I received regarding my new El Rey frame size, I thought I'd request some feedback on travel options for my much anticipated new ride.

So I have a new semi custom sized large-and-a -half El Rey coming my way. I plan to use it for aggressive trail riding and competative 24 hour racing. I'm hoping to build it up to around 25 lbs (not sure if this is possible without spending a schwack of money, but we'll see I guess...).

Questions:
    Should I opt for the 5" Rockers? How would this affect the XC ability in a 24 hour race?

Fork Options: Fox F29 or WB Fluid 110?

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Coach
    eh?

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I am currently not a racer but I wanted to be i certainly see NO need to 5" travel, especially on a 29er.

Having not ridden either (yet), I would opt for a F29 (using DT Ratchet skewers) or WB Magic 100mm with 20mm thru....but thats me.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ride it first..

in 4" mode. I have yet to ride an endurance event on this bike but have found that trail worthiness is great with the 4" rockers, rp23 HV canister (soon to be pushed) and a WB F110 using the DT RWS 9mm solid axle. Next experiment i think is a coil over...hum...

Bodhisattva
    If weight is the priority, then Reba.

If looking for more stiffness then the Fox 29er or WB.

You're not going to hit 25 pounds. Shoot for 27 lbs and be happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel

disagree....i think there are plenty of scales floating around MTBR users have scales the start at -2 or -3 lbs

New Guy
    Jan 2007
    Mine is set up with the 4" rockers and a Fox F29 100 fork. The combo plays nicely together and can handle all of the rocky terrain here in western Mass. I have never ridden the bike with 5" rockers, but I can say that I have never felt like another inch of travel is needed.

jrm
    mtbr member

I dont know..

you may be able to get close.. but the OPer might not like the way the bike works @ 25 lbs given all the comprimise in part selection to reach the weight..

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    you may be able to get close.. but the OPer might not like the way the bike works @ 25 lbs given all the comprimise in part selection to reach the weight..
    Like a rigid carbon fork?

Kidding aside, only way that might work is full XTR/X0/Carbon everywhere and a stupid silly wheelset with 450gm slick tires run tubeless. Even then it'll be a stretch.

jrm
    mtbr member

Oh yeah it could get silly

Like a rigid carbon fork?

Kidding aside, only way that might work is full XTR/X0/Carbon everywhere and a stupid silly wheelset with 450gm slick tires run tubeless. Even then it'll be a stretch.
    stupid and expensive light...no doubt..

mtbr member

Riding El Rey with 4" F23 and F29 w/ DT ratchet Skewers

I posted this same question on the Ventana page. My surprise, a few days later Teressa calls and says Sherwood is holding to talk with me. Geez! He said the 5" rocker is a bit "before its time" and that I should use a 4" rocker with the F29 until a 5"+ fork was available. Then switch out the rocker with the new fork. I agree with the note above that anything more than 4" with a 29er is really overkill. Esp for xc riding.

BTW, I am really enjoying my new ride. Will post pictures soon.

hellraiser

Hope

Good posts so far - thanks.

It seems to make sense to stick with the 4" rockers for now and have the ability to go to the 5" ones down the road when there is more of a fork selection (I think the WB fluid 135 is the only 5"+ fork available now.) My main focus for riding next year will be to kill it in this 24 hour event, so the 4" is probably the way to go.

I take it the DT ratchet skewers help stiffen up the front end? I'll have to look into those...

This "pushing" of the RP23 does what exactly?

Please keep posting opinions on the Fox F29 vs the White Bros Fluid 110...

As far as the build goes, I plan to try to get it as light as possible but not at the sacrifice of strength/durability. Regardless of how much she ends up weighing I'm sure she'll be just the ticket. After all it's the injun not the arrow right?

I'm so excited about this bike, I talked to Teresa today and she said that it's in the welding shop right now! Can you tell I'm thinking about this too much?

Cheers,

-Coach
    eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Cool-blue Rhythm it's my thought

25#'s is a dream ...and a nice one too! ... additionaly the reba will not do your el rey justice ... don't for me

jrm
    mtbr member

If your looking to

go to the 5" rockers and a longer fork with more travel ask that/if your frames front triangle features the additional gussetts to do so, so that theres not a warrenty issue.

The DT Swiss 9 mm (front) and 10mm (rear) solid axle conversions really do stiffen things up. You can check with DT Swiss about applicability by calling them. They can also give you part number so ordering the parts through a local shop is made easier. The 9mm i installed on a reba improved the stiffness at the fork dropout/axle interface but redirected the flex further up to the upper leg/crown. However using the 9mm on the WB 110 is the BOMB..everything improved.

Push industries tunes fox shocks beyond what you get OE. More info from their site pushindustries.com If you go this route youll notice improvement right off..

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    go to the 5" rockers and a longer fork with more travel ask that/if your frames front triangle features the additional gussetts to do so, so that theres not a warrenty issue.

The DT Swiss 9 mm (front) and 10mm (rear) solid axle conversions really do stiffen things up. You can check with DT Swiss about applicability by calling them. They can also give you part number so ordering the parts through a local shop is made easier. The 9mm i installed on a reba improved the stiffness at the fork dropout/axle interface but redirected the flex further up to the upper leg/crown. However using the 9mm on the WB 110 is the BOMB..everything improved.

Push industries tunes fox shocks beyond what you get OE. More info from their site pushindustries.com If you go this route youll notice improvement right off..
    yes, with 29er wheels and PUSHed suspension, your bike will literally coast uphills

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had 4" rockers for close to a year. Had an RP3 Pushed & the bike felt great. Added the HV air sleeve & the bike felt better. I have recently swithed to 5" rockers and don't see myself going back.

I use the bike for rocky & rooty NE type trails. If I was doing an endurance race (on smother terrain) I might consider switching back, but not for fun trail riding. The bike is set up with a Lefty Max so it has around 4.75" of travel in front.

Shovel Ready
    JRM, you already get some miles on the 110? Early impressions are? Should have my 110 in the next day or so.

I going from the 5 inch setup back to the 4. While I did like the way my El Rey handled with a 5 inch rocker and Fluid 135. I mostly ride XC and with short legs lower the stand-over an inch will help.

Anyone interested in the 5 inch set up. Watch the classified sections in a few weeks.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

jrm
    mtbr member

About 25 or so..

Got mine the day after thanksgiving and rode it the following day. I ran 80psi preload, 23 psi compression and 3/4s of turn of rebound. The forks a bit longer (511 vs. 503) then the reba but the additional offset kept the front end height right there with what it was with the reba.

Once i had it as close to balanced as i could get with the rp23 the bikes suspension felt like butter. Even with 4"s of travel the bike displayed the best positive mannerisms of the 5" x 5" 5 spot that it replaced. I really think the additional AC lenght ~7mm~, 10mm more travel and additional offset make the WB 100 a great fit for the el rey.

So your selling the 5" rockers huh? that should be a hot item.

Heres blurry pic...

Shovel Ready
    Shweet!

Most likely will sell the 5 inch rockers and Fluid 135 fork. As we discussed I'm not a FR bomber. The 4 inch setup should be more than enough for my riding style. Also looking forward to seeing how the 4 inch rocker & HV RP23 feels compared to the 5 inch rocker.

jrm
    mtbr member

The HV canister

made a positive impact when i installed it with the 4" rockers. i sent my rp23 into PUSH yesterday to be tuned to my weight and riding style. Should come back perfect..

Shovel Ready
    Fluid 110 showed up this morning!

jrm
    mtbr member

What yours doesnt?

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    yes, with 29er wheels and PUSHed suspension, your bike will literally coast uphills
    dude you got jipp'ed

mtbr member
    Hey Jrm
    just a bit of etymological background. First the spelling is gypped. Taken to be a shortened form of gypsy. I hope you would not want to use such racially charged language in a public forum (or at all). It is the same use of racial slur as saying "I think I can jew him down on the price." best.

jrm
    mtbr member

racial slur..really...

i dont agree nor do i find the language "racially charged"..

gyp also gip (jĭp) Pronunciation Key
    tr.v. gypped also gipped, gypĚping also gipĚping, gyps also gips
    To deprive (another) of something by fraud; cheat or swindle.

n.

1. A fraud or swindle.
    2. One who defrauds; a swindler.

jrm
    mtbr member

Really?

i dont find anywhere in the definition where the contextual use of the work implies ANY racial implication at all..

Sorry if it does for you..

gyp also gip (jĭp) Pronunciation Key
    tr.v. gypped also gipped, gypĚping also gipĚping, gyps also gips
    To deprive (another) of something by fraud; cheat or swindle.

n.

1. A fraud or swindle.
    2. One who defrauds; a swindler.[/QUOTE]

Shovel Ready
    You are just not being sensitive enough is all. Should have used "jacked" or "heisted".