mtbr member
    Jun 2006

El Rey rides Montanna De Oro

Well I finally got a chance to take my Rey out to MDO for a ride. I also remembered the camera this time! MDO is a state park just outside of Los Osos and about 12 miles from San Luis Obispo. Weather was perfect for my overweight frame at 65 deg so overheating would not be a problem. No action shots unfortunately as the sum total of riders/hikers/horseback riders I met on the trails today equaled 0.

So lets get started with a shot of the bike on Islay Creek road which starts the ride.

Islay Creek is a nice 3 mile warm-up since it is a rolling fire road that doesn't have much in the way of steep climbing (that comes later)

After the 3 mile leg strecher we reach the East Boundary trail head, pain now lies just around the corner.

I have no idea how far this trail takes to climb to the top but my lungs and legs were screaming at me for most of it. (as usual this photo cannot show the steepness of the trail, or the demon water bar humps that made it even more difficult).

Looking back the way we've come, you can see Islay Creek road on the right of the picture indicating we have gained some altitude. We still have more to climb, no rest for the weary (I rested though ).

Wow we are at the top of the East Boundary trail now, it took a lot out of me to get here.

Just after the top I had to stop (again!) for a shot of some California poppies.

Another look at the flowers and bike.

Not 2 minutes after I got started after taking this picture I was on the ground with the Rey sitting on top of me. Classic over the bars moment when I got shuffled into a rutted part of the trail the suddenly veered off to the side and had a large hump that stopped even the awesome rolling ability of the 29" wheels. All turned out well since the bike escaped damage by using me as a shock absorber. I didn't fare as well but escaped with a bruised thigh and a few scrapes. This did however slow my ride down at bit and I forgot to get any more photos.

The climb of East Boundary didn't go as well as I'd hoped but I can attribute some of that to a long hike I took yesterday, my legs just didn't have the pop or energy that they sometimes have. More training is needed I guess. Overall the bike worked great and I had lots of fun once I picked my self up after the fall. The trail has a lot of fun twisty bits that I didn't get photos of but the El Rey just ate that stuff up.

After getting back to the car it was time for lunch at Spooner's Cove (you can see the cove in the background of the first picture). Not a bad way to spend a day in March.

Thanks for reading.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice report!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Awesome! I like the white. I've got an orange El Rey. Love the bike!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Those pictures make me miss living near the ocean.
    Ive never ridden Montana Del Oro, though it is a good place to explore around while on mushrooms. Those were the days..
    Beautiful pics.

trail rat
    That fifth picture looks familiar!

Here is one from today, about the same place as your last picture. Incredible weather!

Photos of jms, both on big wheels; that is all he and I roll.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    That fifth picture looks familiar!

Photos of jms, both on big wheels; that is all he and I roll.
    I almost rode out there yesterday but I had errands to run so only rode to the top of Madonna Mt. Maybe I'll see you on the trails, can't be that many 29'ers around

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan
    I almost rode out there yesterday but I had errands to run so only rode to the top of Madonna Mt. Maybe I'll see you on the trails, can't be that many 29'ers around
    Hopefully we will meet, or shoot me a PM if you want to plan a ride. I ride MdO one to three times a week, depending. JMS lives in Los Osos, but spends some time up north. We are gray beards, so riding is more fun and not competition.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Hopefully we will meet, or shoot me a PM if you want to plan a ride. I ride MdO one to three times a week, depending. JMS lives in Los Osos, but spends some time up north. We are gray beards, so riding is more fun and not competition.
    Heh I'm heading towards gray beard status (I'm 48) but jms looks pretty fit in those pics, way lighter than me. I'd hate to slow you guys down as I huff and puff my way up east boundary. I do hope we can meet up someday though, should be fun.

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinfan
    Heh I'm heading towards gray beard status (I'm 48) but jms looks pretty fit in those pics, way lighter than me. I'd hate to slow you guys down as I huff and puff my way up east boundary. I do hope we can meet up someday though, should be fun.
    I huff and puff more than my share. I'm still recovering from nine months of not riding after last year, and I have 10 years on you. I ride alone most times, about every third ride with jms, and we ride on his easy training days; he is patient and excellent company.

Don't worry about slowing anyone down, riding with others is great fun. Besides, I really want to see that beautiful Ventana!
    CCCMB web - Facebook