Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm El Rey back in 4 inch mode.

I removed the Fluid 135 and replaced it with a Fluid 110. 4 inch rockers replaced the 5. I'm pretty darn happy after two short asthma controlled rides. Being a fat dude I lowered the PSI in the RP23 by almost 80 PSI with the shorter rocker. Bike definitely feels more XC now which is what I wanted. Still need to break in the fork and dial things in. But so far I'm happy I made the change.
    Last edited by Cycle64; 12-07-2007 at 07:26 AM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    cool...and the gratuitous pics?

Shovel Ready
    Have not taken any images in 4 inch mode yet. Looks the same as it did in 5 inch mode except it sits just a tad lower.

Thanks...looks sweet....

Shovel Ready
    Since I won my division in fantasy this year. I'll be getting some Flows laced to my CK hubs. Really only thing I want on the bike now is the rims and a set of floating disks. May go with a laid back post and shorter stem. Now that I'm liking the new feel. Need a few rides before I try and change that around.

Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Since I won my division in fantasy this year. I'll be getting some Flows laced to my CK hubs. Really only thing I want on the bike now is the rims and a set of floating disks. May go with a laid back post and shorter stem. Now that I'm liking the new feel. Need a few rides before I try and change that around.
    oh-oh..that sounds like a UGI attack!

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

I always loved running tubeless. Like the weight difference of the Flows compared to the DD FR rims. See you have to tell yourself there is a reason for a change! It's not a want option but a need option!

mtbr member
    thats what I am running on my bike. King/Flows with some Rampages are a perfect match for the El Rey. The set came out a tad heavier than I though it would (2000g even), but I don't care because they are damn strong. If I want to drop some weight it only taks me a couple minutes to slap my King/Arch (1800g) + Ignitor wheelset on the bike.

I have the Fluid 110 and 4" rockers on my ride and wouldn't dare experiment with a 5" setup. It is stellar in 4" mode with the Fluid 110.

I'll be getting some Flows laced to my CK hubs. .

jrm
    mtbr member

Glad to hear your diggin it..

got my shock back form PUSH this morning. Nice long Fort Ord ride tomorrow. Post some pics..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    got my shock back form PUSH this morning. Nice long Fort Ord ride tomorrow. Post some pics..
    Can you believe this, kind of make some head way on this asthma deal. Get the El Rey where I want it and it's freaking rains in Arizona! Two weekends in a row! I love the rain as we get so little and the changes it makes to our trails is sweet!

I did like what Push did to the DHX Coil I had on the RFX. I'll do the RP23 at some point but I want those Flows now!

PS: I did go with the Fluid 135 crown on my Fluid 110. Little more beef compared to stock for the fat boy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

El Rey Rocks!!!

I took my Rey out to Dupont State Forest today. The trails there had some great down hill sections and I haven't had the chance to ride my El Rey on trails such as these since I got it a couple of months ago. It hooked up perfectly, carved through everything like a dream and soaked up all the big hits I threw at it!

The El Rey is 29er perfection!!!
    I love this bike!!
    Last edited by DieselAndDust; 12-08-2007 at 11:50 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

i induced asthma yesterday

Can you believe this, kind of make some head way on this asthma deal. Get the El Rey where I want it and it's freaking rains in Arizona! Two weekends in a row! I love the rain as we get so little and the changes it makes to our trails is sweet!

I did like what Push did to the DHX Coil I had on the RFX. I'll do the RP23 at some point but I want those Flows now!

PS: I did go with the Fluid 135 crown on my Fluid 110. Little more beef compared to stock for the fat boy.
    It was frickin cold in monterey. Bike worked fine except i didnt have the suspension balanced so the handling was off. Bummer about the rain, but its winter and springs around the corner.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

change is good
    Sep 2004

El Cap and Dupont

Quote Originally Posted by DieselAndDust
    I took my Rey out to Dupont State Forest today. The trails there had some great down hill sections and I haven't had the chance to ride my El Rey on trails such as these since I got it a couple of months ago. It hooked up perfectly, carved through everything like a dream and soaked up all the big hits I threw at it!

The El Rey is 29er perfection!!!
    I love this bike!!
    equals memories I'll never forget. I had a job lined up in Brevard and my ex 86ed it!!!! I might be heading that way in a couple of weeks. Or maybe Arizona

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just ordered an El Rey with 5 inch rockers and the WB 135. I really wanted a fork with the TA/coil for the added stiffness/plushness up front becuase I weigh 235. So to match the fork I went with 5 inch rockers. I'm sure the bike in the 4 inch mode would have been more than enough for the riding that I plan on doing. We'll give it a go and see what happens! If it doesn't work, I can always switch it out. The manufacturers must love when we say stuff like that.

Shovel Ready
    Your comments were my thoughts 4 months ago. I'm a little heavier so maybe you will like the setup more than I did. Anyone reading this should not take my comments as this was a bad setup. It was just not for me and my style of riding. Probably would have been happy with it if I weighed less.

Shovel Ready
    Follow up on the changes. Recovering the basics. I'm heavy/fat C level rider that mostly rides intermediate XC trails in Arizona. Spend most of my time in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve.

Swapping the Fluid 135 and 5 inch rockers to the Fluid 110 and 4 inch rockers has brought this bike to a totally different level for me. Lifting is gone, but I think I could have worked on that with technique. I personally just fit the bike better now. The WB Fluid 110 is just working fantastic. As it seems with both the WB forks I have had. They take some break in and you need to spend some time setting it up. The change in rockers allowed me to reduced the amount of PSI in my RP23. I think this will help on the life of the seals. Also I don't have a lot of brake jack some others have reported. The El Rey and HV RP23 is as smooth as my RFX and Pushed DHX Coil I had.

All I need now is my new Hadley/Flow wheel set from Chad. Setting them up tubeless with some Rampages.

I also would like to give a thumbs up to Chad at Red Barn. Another MTBR member suggested him a while back. It's been the best contact I have made with this bike stuff to date. I know there are other outstanding shops that many users list. But Chad is the man, I call with a question and get a response no matter how small the question was! I highly recommend him if you have not yet spoke with him or are new to this bike game in general.

Happy 2008 to everyone!