mtbr member
    Nov 2004

El Ray RP23 setup

I watched the video, I performed a search but I rally dont think I'm getting the small bump compliance I should be. Here are some details:
    • the bike only has about 35 miles on it off road.
    • I weigh 195# nekked
    • Using a Reba up front
    • I have the rebound set to the fastest setting
    • Air pressure was 125# on 1st ride then dropped to 110 on the second with minimal change
    • Maybe I expect a lot after riding a Dos niner for 2 years
    • Maybe the Dos Niner did more good than I expected

Any thoughts?

I also wonder if I did not get more bike than I needed. I run 190# during the racing season and could have potentially taken the El Patron but was worried about durability. Cheeses Crepes the El Ray is a LOT heavier than the Dos was. Kinda wigged out by it. My fork seems under spec'd now but going to a stouter fork just perpetuates the weight issue. But she is orange and I love her!

mtbr member
    I run 110lb-ish and I easily weigh a good 10lbs more than you. How much sag are you running? Also, do you have the big air can or one of the smaller ones on your RP23? Mine came with the small air can and I had an extremely hard time dialing it in. Switched to a large can and....

I typicall run my shock on the soft side and switch over to the pro-pedal when I need to climb.

Last thing, at your weight, definately ditch the Reba and pick up a WB Fluid 110 TA. They are damn good. Its almost like buying a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    I watched the video, I performed a search but I rally dont think I'm getting the small bump compliance I should be. Here are some details:
    • I weigh 195# nekked
    • Using a Reba up front
    • Air pressure was 125# on 1st ride then dropped to 110 on the second with minimal change

Any thoughts?

I also wonder if I did not get more bike than I needed. I run 190# during the racing season and could have potentially taken the El Patron but was worried about durability. Cheeses Crepes the El Ray is a LOT heavier than the Dos was. Kinda wigged out by it. My fork seems under spec'd now but going to a stouter fork just perpetuates the weight issue. But she is orange and I love her!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    how much sag (in percentage of rear shock stroke) are you running? also, have you tried slowing down the rebound? you might try at least half if not a little slower on the rebound.

Todd

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I run 110lb-ish and I easily weigh a good 10lbs more than you. How much sag are you running? Also, do you have the big air can or one of the smaller ones on your RP23? Mine came with the small air can and I had an extremely hard time dialing it in. Switched to a large can and....

I typicall run my shock on the soft side and switch over to the pro-pedal when I need to climb.

Last thing, at your weight, definately ditch the Reba and pick up a WB Fluid 110 TA. They are damn good. Its almost like buying a new bike.

It says "high volume" on the body of the shock. I assume that's the big can i keep hearing about. I just got the bike last week. Quite frankly, shock tech is new to me. I am running about 0.5" - 0.6" of sag but this measurement I did myself using the O-ring and gently applying my arse to the bike. This resulted in choosing 125# which ended up feeing rather stiff. 110 felt a bit better. Maybe the bike and shock need more trail luvin' time

jms
    mtbr member

I have both

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    • I weigh 195# nekked
    • Using a Reba up front

Any thoughts?

I have a Dos and an El Rey, and I've raced both of them. They both climb well. The El Rey descends better [no suprise]. I use the the Dos for endurance races on smoother courses, or ones biased to climbing. Just started using the El Rey in the fall [Whiskeytown 9 to 5] when I finally got it set-up to my liking. It was wonderful up and downhill out there. I'm running a High volume cannister RP23 @ 150psi, in Pro-Pedal #2 [I weigh @ 160lbs] and the bike is solid in or out of the saddle climbing - no bobbing, yet still absorbs bumps well. Hope that gives you something to work from.
    Attached Images Attached Images