mtbr member
    May 2007

Is an El Ray a good bike for a clyde?

Is an El Ray a good bike for a clyde?
    I am a 6'3" 270ish with all my gear. I have a GF HiFi Pro 29er now and am not happy with it. Frame has broke twice in 8 months, and for one of those months I was waiting for my replacment chainstay. Im not an verry agresive rider, I go everywere everbody else. I just take a little longer. The tires hardly leave the ground except for normal riding.
    I have been looking into the El Ray and havent seen any test or coments from any XXL riders.
    The reason I have been looking at the the El Ray instead of the El Capitan is becouse I want to use my 100mm fox fork (and any other components that fit) off of my HiFi. I am trying to keep cost down so I can keep riding and up grade when possible.
    Thank you for an help or info you guys can provide.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I see two choices here that would make a sweet ride.

1. El Rey built with the X-brace frame.

2. El Rey with a 2" diameter down tube.

Both would offer you a really stiff from triangle. But I would call Shewood for the final or final words.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life
    But I would call Shewood for the final or final words.
    And that's the beauty of getting a Ventana. There's almost always a way to get the bike that fits your needs.

Shovel Ready
    I weight more than you and have been riding my EL Rey for over a year without any issues. I do normal XC stuff so if you plan on anything harder might consider the options mentioned or just get a El Cap.

El Rey 5 inch rocker and 120 U-Turn.

Last edited by Cycle64; 03-22-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Sherwood has built me a El Cap and a El Rey specifically for my obese sloppy riding self. Tell him what you need and he will deliver.

Members who have read this thread: 0