mtbr member
    Nov 2004

El Ray F-Der Cable Routing

Quiz: how do you know it's gonna rain and snow?

Answer: I get a new bike!

I got my new El Ray (squeals like little girl). I took it for a test ride in the 'hood just before the crap set in. I got back and noticed that the F.Der housing had been skinned alive by the rocker/seatstay junction when it is under load. There is little room for the cable and I looked at other alternatived but the welded cable stop is just too close to the rocker.

Anyone else?

Crockpot

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Same thing on my 23" el capitan. Its fine now that the plastic coating has worn off and the metal casing is showing - doesn't seem to be eating into the metal casing... I'll be interested to hear if anyone ha a solution... only thing i could think of is looping it around the other side of the tube.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    of course not exactly the same...but I have my Terremoto and Salty each going on a different side with the housing as short as possible with no rubbing...I would expect that the seattube/rocker clerance is similar, isn't it?

see the pic below

Salty's first ride

MTB Missionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    Quiz: how do you know it's gonna rain and snow?

Answer: I get a new bike!

I got my new El Ray (squeals like little girl). I took it for a test ride in the 'hood just before the crap set in. I got back and noticed that the F.Der housing had been skinned alive by the rocker/seatstay junction when it is under load. There is little room for the cable and I looked at other alternatived but the welded cable stop is just too close to the rocker.

Anyone else?

Crockpot
    Had the same issue on my 18" Salty. After a bit of trial and error going shorter and shorter with minimal success, I ended up with a bit longer length of housing and used my fingers to bend it into a shape that starts it out vertical from the stop on the ST and gently wraps laterally around the ST to the stop on the TT. Not a single rub since.

The best way to describe the length without posting a pic is to say that when the housing is seated fully in the stops the highest point of the curve in the housing is about 1/2" below the top of the TT.

Hope this works for you on the Rey.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Play with the housing length and you should be able to get it so that it doesn't rub at all.

Here's my setup with no issues.

mtbr member
    I just looked at mine. The cable stop on my el rey is located much further to the left on the seat tube then the ones I see in the pictures. Because of this, it is not even close to rubbing.

jrm
    mtbr member

I added a tad more..

Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    I just looked at mine. The cable stop on my el rey is located much further to the left on the seat tube then the ones I see in the pictures. Because of this, it is not even close to rubbing.
    housing between the top tube stop and the seat post stop. it seems to direct the cable more towards the center of the rocker..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk

My just-got-yesterday El Ray has the stop very far to the right and very high. I rerouted the new housing in a plethora of ways and finally came to routing it to the left of the seat tube and much longer than expected. It works out well and the shifting is fine. Thanks for all the pics.

I also noticed that the bike is ready better suited for rear hydrolic brakes. There are no cable stops, just cradle guides for fluid hoses. Guess I gotta pony up for some 180's.

"Hey lovebarge, my new bike HAS to have hydrolic brakes....."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

no problems, yet...

I have only had my El Rey for two weeks and I haven't experienced any trouble, ridden about 100 miles. Mine is routed on the right of the seat tube and does not rub at all, I have the cable on the outside cable stop along the TT, and it is a clean arc to the stop on the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Got mine F-der cable running like crisillo's...

I tried it on the side, but at full compression, the rear dug into the cable. The clearance is very tight between the seat tube and the rear U

mtbr member

Ay, there's the rub...

Me too, sob, sob. The metal wrap was just peaking out of the casing. And this after a mile around the hood. I took three zip ties and formed a slightly different path for the cable and hopefully some protection from the rocker.

Other suggestions will be tried as necessity dictates. But first, a good long ride!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot2001
    My just-got-yesterday El Ray has the stop very far to the right and very high. I rerouted the new housing in a plethora of ways and finally came to routing it to the left of the seat tube and much longer than expected. It works out well and the shifting is fine. Thanks for all the pics.

I also noticed that the bike is ready better suited for rear hydrolic brakes. There are no cable stops, just cradle guides for fluid hoses. Guess I gotta pony up for some 180's.

"Hey lovebarge, my new bike HAS to have hydrolic brakes....."
    or just run continuous housing all the way back

but if you want hydros.... go for them!

mtbr member
    Pardon the mud. Got a little dirty yesterday. Just to give an idea. No where near rubbing on the swing arm
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chexem

Me too, sob, sob. The metal wrap was just peaking out of the casing. And this after a mile around the hood. I took three zip ties and formed a slightly different path for the cable and hopefully some protection from the rocker.

Other suggestions will be tried as necessity dictates. But first, a good long ride!

I routed mine to the left of the seat tube and expericmented with a few diff lengths and now have no trouble. I rode my big orange hussie today and she was fine.

mtbr member

Problem Solved

I too re-routed the der cable to the left of the seat tube with total success. It was just too much of an anomaly that the cable stop would be placed in such a way as to cause this issue. My faith in Sherwood and his beautiful and functional artwork increases with every ride, with each tweak, with just looking at this beautiful thing.
    thanks