mtbr member
    Nov 2004

El Ray disassembly

My wife and I are moving to South Korea. I have an El ray in the 23" size. The problem for many is how to get a 29er into a regular shipping box for the plane ride. We have Thule boxes. I am thinking of removing the rear triangle and putting it in one of our suitcases so that there is more room available for the wheels etc.

How easy is it to remove the rear triangle of an El Ray and then reassemble? Any special tools I should take?

Cheers!

All you need is a good set of allen wrenches. They are very easy to take apart.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223

ditto... it's a 3-5 minute job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    This is very good news. Thanks!

Expert Crasher
    You'll need an in/lb torque wrench (or just convert online to ft./lb) on the other end though.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223

I took the hex keys to it and got 'er done. After I broke it down I realized my XXL El Ray was SMALLER than my wife's Large El Santo when packed! I threw in all kinds of extra goodies.

In other news, the riding in South Korea is plentiful but challenging. I'll have to lay off the beers and drop a few kilos for these hills.

Cheers,
    Stan

mtbr member
    We want pics! I almost moved there a couple of years back.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    You'll need an in/lb torque wrench (or just convert online to ft./lb) on the other end though.
    That would be a lb-in torque wrench or convert to lb-ft. The "/" symbol in unit terms means "per"....like feet per second f/s

moving to south korea for business? family?
    most of my extended family is there.. mostly in Seoul with a family on Jaeju island.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    moving to south korea for business? family?
    most of my extended family is there.. mostly in Seoul with a family on Jaeju island.
    Thanks for asking

My wife is managing the sustainability aspect of a "green" section of a new city bing built near Incheon called New Sondo City. So it is business. We hated being apart for so much time when we lived in the states and she commuted to SK so we packed up and moved to NSC. We visited Seoul last weekend and like it a bit better than Incheon so far. Jaeju in on our list of to-do's for later this summer.

The MTB riding here is outstanding but wicked steep! There are no switch backs or flowing, swooping trails. The trash everywhere is disheartening. One can be 5 miles from the main trailhead and find bags of trash. Such a beautiful place. I'm going to ride in a more rural area this weekend for the 1st time so maybe there will be less trash and better air quality.

I do like the people. All have been sweet and very helpful. The food is good too!

Cheers,
    Stan