mtbr member
    Dec 2007

El Habanero, Good Deal?

Hello,

I am contemplating on getting a bike from a co-worker. I used to ride a long time ago and I want to get back into it. This is the Ventana that he has offered to sell me for $800 and he also said if he takes off the front forks and head set, he'll bring it down to $500. Good Deal?
    Here is what he sent me :

"The complete bike is a Ventana El Habanero. I think I got it in 1996-1997. It's a pretty rare bike, and in some cases collectible due to it being a classic Ventana (Sherwood Gibson is the founder of Ventana, and this is a hand-built frame by him). It's an all-aluminum frame. I had it custom-painted in 2003 with a metallic blue and black with silver tribal art. That bike is a full-suspension bike that has 3.5 inches of rear travel. The way I built it up is pretty light considering how old it is. I weighed it and it was 26.4 lbs with that 4" travel Rock Shock SID race fork. It's pretty tricked out with XTR/XT/Chris King/Rolf and a bunch of Carbon Fiber parts to keep the weight down. It's a great compromise between hard-tail efficiency and full-suspension plush. There's enough travel on the rear to take the edge off trails. This bike is all complete, just need to get the cabling re-adjusted as it hasn't been used in a couple of years. probably good to have it lubricated too."

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    here's a pic of the bike

Shot Down in Flames...
    $500 is probably a good deal. The frame is worth ~$600 trade-in on a new Ventana f/s frame.

You should make him come down more for that horrendous paint job.

D.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Get it - if it fits!

If it doesn't fit - the only thing it's good for is for the trade in or to put up on E-Bay.

A bike should be like your favorite pair of shoes, the ones you don't think about putting on. It only took me oh, about three, duallies to figure that out. It was not a cheap edumacation.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    Get it - if it fits!

JmZ
    Great point! Look at that funky cockpit... Super short stem and then a Mondo setback Seatpost! Wassup with DAT????

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'd go with the $500 option and lose that self-steering SID. For the $300 difference you could pick up a serviceable headset and a much better used fork. Other than that, if it's in good shape and not abused, that seems like a fair price.
    - Joe

In FTF We Trust
    Yeah, let him keep the fork (or pay him to keep it, trust me). It looks pretty decent other than that (gag) custom paint job.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Nice!

I think i'm going to do it. 500 for everything but the front fork and head set. Is this 600 dollar trade in thing real???

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For anyone who does a search on a Ventana El Habanero or Marble
    Peak. I still have the bike and love it.

My 1997 bike in 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Seems like too tall a fork for that frame but if you're diggin' it, ride on! Hm. Well, with the seat dropped that's accentuated... what's the A2C?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You know, I like going fast downhills, i am not hitting big hits or anything, just going real fast down some single track and I am not one for climbing either, shuttling is what I prefer. I figure that the bike is made to accommodate that desire to the best of it's ability. An all mountain or DH bike is in my sites for the future but this will have to do for now.

A2C? I assume that is a measurement on the bike. Let me know what it is exactly and I'll tell you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    By the way, I used to BMX and I do have a dirt jumper so the laid back seating is what I like. Benging to far forward sucks, that's why I sold my road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    a2c = axle to crown