mtbr member
    Feb 2006

El Fuego with 100mm fork?

I have said many times in the past that from past experience I would only ever want to run a Ventana at the travel Sherwood intended it to be. Current circumstances have lead down the path of asking
    Is it possible to bolt a set of 4 inch El Saltamontes rockers onto an El Fuego?
    Would this have majorly detrimental effects on the handling if it was done in conjunction with changing to a 100mm travel fork?
    Should I just buy an el salt front end and rockers and bolt the rear of the el fuego?
    Should i just buy a complete el salt frame set?

My main riding focus at the moment is marathon rides and training for these events. I am finding the handling of the el fuego with an 80mm fork a bit sharp at some points when i am a few hours into one of these rides. Something a bit more relaxed might be good

Not dead yet, just playin
    What year is your Fuego? If its one of the older models with a CNC bottom bracket, it essentially is a Salty frame. I did exactly what you describe when I got some 4" rockers for my 2001 Fuego.

Personally, I think 100mm might be a bit too much on the front of a Fuego. It may slow the steering down too much for you and start to feel "floppy". That being said, I'm running 120mm on the front of my Fuego-turned-Salty and love it. I'm using a Fox Float fork, which has a slightly lower A-to-C height for a given travel than other forks.

If you get to the point where you might buy a whole new frame, maybe think about a lightweight Ciclon. Justa's is down to less than most people's Saltys and it would definitely give much more of a different ride from your Fuego.

op
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Ditto Ohpossum's comment.

Got a Fuego of the same vintage. The front triangle is the same as the Salty, and all it takes to switch is a swap of the rockers. I picked up the 3-5" setup in case I want to go bigger on the bike. I don't worry about the frame, but might have to swap wheels and fork if I make the switch.

And for the geometry - I'm pretty sure the difference in the numbers is the difference in the rockers and fork. The Fuego is a 71 and change degree headtube. Changing the front fork by 20mm or so would slacken it out to around a 70 deg or so.

Even a taller 80mm fork will relax the steering a bit. Marz tend to have a pretty tall A-C for their travel compared to RS or Fox.

If the Fuego is a newer one though - disregard all the above.

PS - Have the old pdf's saved on the compy if interested.

Good luck,

Jmz
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cheers for the responses. It is an 06 Fuego.

mtbr member
    I asked Ventana about this prior to picking up my El Fuego (07) and it sounds like you can't slap the 4 inch rockers on the newer fuegos like you could with the older versions. I'd shoot them an email and ask... it takes about 2.5 minutes to hear back from them... at midnight... on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift Worker
    I asked Ventana about this prior to picking up my El Fuego (07) and it sounds like you can't slap the 4 inch rockers on the newer fuegos like you could with the older versions. I'd shoot them an email and ask... it takes about 2.5 minutes to hear back from them... at midnight... on Sunday.
    I spoke to teresa regarding 100mm forks on a 2006 Fuego. The answer was no. The frame is designed for 80mm forks only. You could probably go less travel, but not more.

So the official answer is 2006 El Fuego 100mm? Teresa, Ventana and shift worker say no.

Homey don't play that!
    Trade in your front triangle.
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Trade in your front triangle.
    Pauliemon, Done it already. Build is progressing very slowly. Had a hammer and chisel in my hands in spare time for the last 2 weeks instead of an allen key and torque wrench. Getting very impatient.