Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2008

El Commandant owners

My next bike will be a SS 29er and I wanted know what are some benefits of going with an aluminum frame over a custom steel frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I can't speak to custom steel frames, hopefully someone will. However, I spent 4 years mostly riding an El Toro and now have a El Comandante. As much as I liked my ET, I love the EC. Quick, light, extremely well made, ride quality is outstanding and it fits me like a glove. Mines setup rigid and I honestly don't miss the suspension fork. Get one, you will not be sorry. BTW, the customer service at Ventana is second to none.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rootsandrocks View Post
    My next bike will be a SS 29er and I wanted know what are some benefits of going with an aluminum frame over a custom steel frame?
    Well the Al should be lighter than steel. However steel is typically a bit more absorbent resulting in a slightly better ride. However the Ventana frames really ride well. I have been on a El Padrino for a couple years now and have been considering the El Comandante as a project for this spring. Belt drive rigid.

I also like the looks of the big aluminum tubes. Steel is so skinny looking.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Weight would be the primary benefit, I believe.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    a crappy steel frame will be crappy...a crappy aluminum frame will be crappy. a ventana frame is not crappy. the steel frame will give you more street cred on the 29er board and would be recommended if you partake in the occupy movement otherwise, marketing bs. get ventana

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    the steel frame will give you more street cred on the 29er board

Especially the Jones " one size fits all " frame ! The El Commandante has the coolest lookin and most impressive sliding dropouts I've seen to date...however , this comes from someone that has never owned a single speed hardtail but has procrastinated the idea for several years now ! TIG.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    As a long time "one of these days I'm going to get a single speed" guy, the El C is great. I may actually set mine up as a SS one of these days.

Team Fearless Descender
    a crappy steel frame will be crappy...a crappy aluminum frame will be crappy. a ventana frame is not crappy. the steel frame will give you more street cred on the 29er board and would be recommended if you partake in the occupy movement otherwise, marketing bs. get ventana

Who is this guy? He has a lot of posts, but, but, who is he?
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Who is this guy? He has a lot of posts, but, but, who is he?
    bro, number of posts is irrelevant. its all about rep power now of which i have little.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    It has been spoken......all other opinions are irrelevantat this point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What color I should get the El Commandante will be tough. Could anyone tell what the difference between "mango tango" and "cosmic orange" are? I can't see the contrast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What color I should get the El Commandante will be tough. Could anyone tell what the difference between "mango tango" and "cosmic orange" are? I can't see the contrast.
    Email Teresa, she'll send you color swatch pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just ordered an El Commandante Ultimate in cosmic orange. any recommendations on a good suspension fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I just ordered an El Commandante Ultimate in cosmic orange. any recommendations on a good suspension fork?
    Awesome!! In regards to shocks, I rode a El Toro for 4 years with a 80mm Fox. Built my El Comm with a Niner Carbon and haven't missed suspension. Give it a whirl.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    racerx04, Did you go with a carbon belt drive on your E.C.?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    racerx04, Did you go with a carbon belt drive on your E.C.?
    I stayed traditional with a chain. Belt drive is cool, but expensive. I'm completely happy with my setup, didn't use any crazy light parts and my wheels aren't the lightest either (Flows with King hubs). The bike is exactly 21.0lbs in a size XL. My poor El Salt never gets to go riding anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Flow with Chris King hubs sounds like a solid wheel. I've got a CK 15mm front hub and a Paul Word rear disc hub. I may go with the Stan's No Tubes Crest hoops.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just my .02, but Crest's are race rims and may not hold up long term. I went with Flow's because the width allows less air pressure to be run tubeless without the fear of breaking the bead seal between rim and tire. Arch's are good too and the new Arch EX (if they have been released yet) might be a good choice also. I'm all about durability and trouble free bikes, i'll pay a weight penalty to get there, but at 21lbs, I'm about as light as I want to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Maybe Arch rims are the way to go. What gear sizes are you using on your E.C.? I currently use 34x19 on my 26" SS. Do you recommend I go with a 32x19 on my new EC 29er because of the larger wheels that need to turn?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I currently run 32x20 and ran 32x18 on my 26er. Considering switching to a 19, but that will make the climbs harder. Have a look at Sheldon Brown's calculator (google it), specifically gear inches with different gearing to help you decide.
    Last edited by racerx04; 03-01-2012 at 04:46 AM.

orthonormal
    The same gear ratio is going result in very close to a 10% increase in gear-inches going from a 26er to a 29er. In my case, my 26" tire had a 26.4" OD and my 29" tire had a 29.2" OD, so the increase was 10.6%. I had a 34-18 on the 26er (49.87 gear-inches) and originally went with 32-19 on the 29er (49.17 gear-inches) to match as closely as possible but I now run 32-18 (51.91 gear-inches).

BTW, multiply gear-inches by pi to get distance travelled in one complete pedal rotation.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

New El Commandante Ultimate

I went and picked it up today. The frame is a beauty. The welds, paint and detail in the frame look top-notch. The parts to put it together should be coming this week.

Sherwood and Teresa gave me the grand tour of the Ventana Bike factory. I got to see where all the frames are fabricated from start to finish. Both were extremely friendly and more than willing to answer any questions. Thanks Ventana Bikes!

more pics coming soon....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Commandant owners-e.c.u..jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice!! Are you putting gears on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Single speed

White Ind. cranks with CK SS rear hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very cool! love the ORanage!