Keep Singletrack Single

El Comandante Creaking under load.... Mystery.....

Need some help here. My 2012 El Comandante with the Sliders is creaking under load. I have a new chain, bottom bracket, chainring, chainring bolts, and cog/locking ring installed. All torqued correctly and professionally installed. I have determined that the only thing that could be causing the creaking are the sliders themselves. I have dismantled them, de-greased, and will re-install once I get my new wheel set.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations for when I re-build? Grease or no grease on the bolts? Torque settings for the #6 and #5 bolts? I have a clicking torque wrench and always follow the specs. Looking for advice. Want to make sure to avoid this from happening again. I had 2,000 miles on the frame when this started. The bolts may have been over-torqued?? Not sure.

Thanks in advance!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by willem3 View Post
    Need some help here. My 2012 El Comandante with the Sliders is creaking under load. I have a new chain, bottom bracket, chainring, chainring bolts, and cog/locking ring installed. All torqued correctly and professionally installed. I have determined that the only thing that could be causing the creaking are the sliders themselves. I have dismantled them, de-greased, and will re-install once I get my new wheel set.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any recommendations for when I re-build? Grease or no grease on the bolts? Torque settings for the #6 and #5 bolts? I have a clicking torque wrench and always follow the specs. Looking for advice. Want to make sure to avoid this from happening again. I had 2,000 miles on the frame when this started. The bolts may have been over-torqued?? Not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Was it creaking before the new componets were installed?

Keep Singletrack Single

This is for the El Comandante Hardtail. These are the sliders used to adjust chain tension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It sounds like a dry creak somewhere - - - meaning some bolt, seat rail or something is dry and begging for grease.

Hopefully it's not the bike.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    I'm nearly 4 years in with my Sliders and still no noises from them. Plenty from my GXP BB followed by a ticking from my Stylo Chainrings. (Grease on the spider chainring bolt tabs finaly cured it).

But to answer your question about Torque values.

Got these off the website FAQ, I know it states "For Suspension Bikes" but the torque values apply to the sliders too.

#5 (6mm Allen Cap Screw) Minor pivot, upper and lower Shock bolts 90-100 inch pounds.
    #6 (8mm Allen Cap Screw) Upper Shock Bolt 150-170 inch pounds.

One thing, I did wrong the first time, was I over torqued the 6mm bolts, and deformed the washers, had to get new washers and then torqued correctly, haven't had any issues.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

change is good
    Sep 2004

I weigh 235lb and my frame doesn't creak. Handlebar, seat, seat post, BB, loose crank - all have been sources, especially the seat. I do have a creak currently which comes and goes. I think it's the cleat- pedal interface.

Keep Singletrack Single

Thanks guys. Very helpful!! I think the washers are the trick. I did over torque. Rebuilding the bike with a new belt drive this week and will carefully install with the torque settings from the website.

Happy Riding!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Very helpful!! I think the washers are the trick. I did over torque. Rebuilding the bike with a new belt drive this week and will carefully install with the torque settings from the website.

Happy Riding!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I have developed the same problem, I am on 3 BB, crank, 3 chainrings, 2 chains, 2 cogs, new skewer and still creaks like crazy. Have change this all in the last 2 weeks. Never creaked at all in the first year and now it is almost unrideable, did changing the washers work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Had the same issue on a Salsa Spearfish. Ended up bring the adapter for the Press Fit BB. Didn't look to see if your BB is a PF, but if so, good chance that is your problem given all else you've done..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Coop29 View Post
    Had the same issue on a Salsa Spearfish. Ended up bring the adapter for the Press Fit BB. Didn't look to see if your BB is a PF, but if so, good chance that is your problem given all else you've done..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes. New washers from Ace Hardware and get the proper torque specs from Theresa @Ventana. I misplaced them. Also, proper belt or chain tension is key.

Hope that helps!

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Yes. New washers from Ace Hardware and get the proper torque specs from Theresa @Ventana. I misplaced them. Also, proper belt or chain tension is key.

Hope that helps!
    Will try washers today.

It is a PF30 and have put 3 different ones in the last 2 weeks with 3 different methods of retaining them. Cannot be the PF30 at this point, would have at least gone a mile without the creak.

Chain tension has been adjusted so many times, cannot be it either, tried tight, loose, about to fall off, still creaks in every combo.

If it happens to be the washers, I wont be able to tell anyone, have $500 in parts so far trying to fix it.

mtbr member
    Looks like it was the washers! Rode 11 miles today and was creak free until the 10 mile mark, then developed a very tiny creak that went away. Could have been anything. Thanks for the help!