mtbr member
    Aug 2006

El-Ciclon XXXL (CUSTOM)

Hello Everybody!
    I'd like to share with you my recent Purchase of El-Ciclon Custom.
    Being a tall person 6'7", I've always had difficulties with bike frames. The main reason for me for moving from frame to frame was because of old frame size being too small.
    My previous frame - 2004 Enduro S-WORKS was a great frame by all means, but if was still too small... Even with setback seatpost and 120mm stem and height adaptor for handlebars - it still wasn't enought. My seat position was at least 1.5" lower then optimal, wich caused me in recent year major knees pain after long/intensive rides.
    After realizing that I'll have to change the frame (or knees in a few years time) - I've decided to buy a new frame. The purpose was to change frame only, while migrating as much old bike components as possible to the new frame.
    After 6 month and 1 failed attempt from Titus to produce Motolite Exogrid frame in adequate size (they had frame limitation, because of the position of the rear shock on the toptube).Personally I think they just didn't want to produce a true CUSTOM frame, wich required a full custom tubing.

So, that it how I've got to Ventana. I'd like to thank Drew from Competitive Cyclist for great service, my LBS (MAZMAN) for assembly and Sherwood for building great frame!

My feedbacks about the bike:
    On the plus side:
    1. Size! Finally bike is really my size! I can set the seatpost without extending it to frame limits(and beyond).
    2. Handling - Very stiff rear triangle. Great feel from the rear end on DH.
    3. Rigidity - the frame looks very solid an burly. Solid rear stays and overal constructions and welds.
    4. Very responsive and plush feel from the rear.
    5. I'm able to produce somewhat more power then on Enduro - probably because of much better seat position and steeper 73 Degree seat angle (comparing to enduro's 70.5 deg.)

One the minus side:
    1. Weight - El-Ciclon is about 2 pounds heavier then Enduro with total bike weight about 32.5 pounds.
    2. Bobs a little bit more - I guest because the rear suspension isn't FSR.

OVERALL: Great frame with great handling!

Here is the result:
    Ventana El Ciclon Custon - Seat lenght 25.4". Shock - RP23 2008.
    Wheels: Chris King hubs with SUN Rinolite rims.
    Thomson Setpost and stem.
    Drivetrain - XT 2008.
    Brakes: XT M760 Hydraulic.
    Fork: Fox TALAS 2005 90-130mm.
    Tires: Panaracer Cinder 2.35 upfront and Fire XC 2.1 on the rear.

Here are some pics....
    Have a great week everybody!

Reuven.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTB B'dos
    Damn, that's big. Got to ask - Why didn't you get a 29" wheeled frame instead like the El Rey with El Capitan tubing? You're an ideal candidate at that height - Big Wheels were made for tall people.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had the same question as LyNx there - nice effort from Ventana there, but it still looks cramped and way out of proportion. I guess it fits, but why not 29er? Being 6'7" myself, I do have a vested interest - and a related point of view!

Single Speed Junkie
    Congrats on your new ride.

Looks big.

I'm really short at 6'2" so I can't really compare to some of you giants.

Found that with 26" wheels you can really flick the bike around.
    29" tread is really stable and faster in almost all situations.
    The stout 36" wheels are fun to play around on, but perhaps a bit over kill at my size.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats on your new ride, icebrg!

nice build!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Damn, that's big. Got to ask - Why didn't you get a 29" wheeled frame instead like the El Rey with El Capitan tubing? You're an ideal candidate at that height - Big Wheels were made for tall people.
    dude, the guy just bought a new bike, dont be such a dolt, seriously, people can buy what they want even if it makes the 29er zealots even more insecure.
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 02-18-2008 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    LyNx - one of my considerations was to preserve current wheels and fork.
    But the decisive one was the absence of 29'er parts in my country, wich meant importing every part and spare parts from US.
    Another consideration is the absence of 5" fork for 29'. When I've started this project in 9/07 there where obly 100mm Fox forks for 29'ers. Now they have 120mm, but still this market is still evolving....
    Pherhaps when 29'er will be more common with 5" suspension and 140mm forks - then it will be good time to me a move...
    Also, from what I've seen - My front triangle has the same specs and almoust the same geometry as El-Rey 25".
    Do you think in the future it may be possible to change rear triangle to 29' without having to rebuild the whole frame?
    What do you think people?

Appreciate the congrats!
    :-)

Reuven.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria

Great looking bike.......

You will enjoy the ride for sure......as a El Ciclon owner I can tell you that frame will out ride the Enduro....once you tune it to your liking. As for the increased weight.....just imagine the weight of the enduro if it was built to your size.....it would weigh more than 32 lbs.

At 6'3" I find my 29er to be just something different....nothing more nothing less.....I enjoy hearing all the zealots trying to convert us vertically enhanced mtn bikers....

The messiah speaks - "Chris Sugai - Twenty-nine-inch wheels will supplant 26-inch wheel bikes by 2017. In ten years, all mountain bikes sold from $1000 to $1500 and above will have 29-inch wheels."

Captain Underpants
    Reuven, ignore the naysayers, that is a great looking bike. It's nice to have a bike that fits.

Good choice on the rims!

Don't worry about the 29er thing, 29ers are passe. 650B is where it's at
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Reuven, ignore the naysayers, that is a great looking bike. It's nice to have a bike that fits.

Good choice on the rims!

Don't worry about the 29er thing, 29ers are passe. 650B is where it's at
    Word!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good looking bike there. Was it extra $ to get the rear swingarm PC'ed like the frame? Enjoy the ride!

MTB B'dos
    Yeah I had the same concerns for down here - we only had one bike shop until about 2 months ago, now we have 2 I learned today that "29er" parts can be had if you ask for 700C stuff - found out that deep wall road wheels use pretty much the same spokes as 29er disc wheels (285-294mm) and the local shop carries better spokes in this length. They also have some "700C/622" rims that are actually 19mm wide so they'll do in a pinch.

As to if you can bolt on a 29er rear triangle that'd be a question for Sherwood. Maybe as suggested 650 could/would also be an option where you could use back your 26" fork. Oh and there's the WB Fluid 130 and 135 forks for 29ers.

To all you nay sayers I just am super happy with my 29er from the moment I swung a leg over it and my friends(5'7") comment when he first saw me and it "Wow, man you finally have a bike that's your size. If they scaled my bike up to someone your size, that's what it'd look like."

Quote Originally Posted by icebrg
    LyNx - one of my considerations was to preserve current wheels and fork.
    But the decisive one was the absence of 29'er parts in my country, wich meant importing every part and spare parts from US.
    Another consideration is the absence of 5" fork for 29'. When I've started this project in 9/07 there where obly 100mm Fox forks for 29'ers. Now they have 120mm, but still this market is still evolving....
    Pherhaps when 29'er will be more common with 5" suspension and 140mm forks - then it will be good time to me a move...
    Also, from what I've seen - My front triangle has the same specs and almoust the same geometry as El-Rey 25".
    Do you think in the future it may be possible to change rear triangle to 29' without having to rebuild the whole frame?
    What do you think people?

Appreciate the congrats!
    :-)

Reuven.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids