mtbr member
    Jul 2007

El Ciclon vs. Spot

Just wondering if anyone has ridden a 5.5 Spot and an El Ciclon who could provide any opinions on the two. From what I've read, the Spot feels slightly more cross-countryish, and I know it has a slightly steeper head angle. Also, I was wondering if someone who has ridden both could tell the difference between the 5 inches of rear travel on the Ciclon to the 5.5 inches on the Spot? Also wondering if they are both about equally as plush and if one climbs better than the other. I get the idea the Ciclon is probably the better decender. Any input would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomoto
    Just wondering if anyone has ridden a 5.5 Spot and an El Ciclon who could provide any opinions on the two. From what I've read, the Spot feels slightly more cross-countryish, and I know it has a slightly steeper head angle. Also, I was wondering if someone who has ridden both could tell the difference between the 5 inches of rear travel on the Ciclon to the 5.5 inches on the Spot? Also wondering if they are both about equally as plush and if one climbs better than the other. I get the idea the Ciclon is probably the better decender. Any input would be helpful.
    I'm surprised no one has had any input. I am demoing the Spot this week, and hope to ride a Ciclon on Tuesday. From the head angle, I would guess that the Ciclon may be better down hill, but given how similar the two are, I doubt a couple of rides would be enough to notice much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    I'm surprised no one has had any input. I am demoing the Spot this week, and hope to ride a Ciclon on Tuesday. From the head angle, I would guess that the Ciclon may be better down hill, but given how similar the two are, I doubt a couple of rides would be enough to notice much of a difference.
    I'd be interested on your input after demoing both. I demoed a Mojo yesterday with a Fox 36 on the front and LOVED it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Ciclon is a bit slacker for the DH and the Spot a bit better on the uphill. I struggled between the two choices for a while (quite a while) and went with the Spot. I have demo-ed the Mojo as well and found it to be much less stiff and less confidence-inspiring when things got fast and rough. However, at medium speeds and on square-edged bumps, it worked well. I'd probably prefer the Pivot's Mach 5's lateral stiffness- have not ridden one though.

The Spot versus Ciclon is a tough choice. I gotta stress that I could have gone the other way as well- these two were just too close. Then I was presented with the opportunity to get a Spot quickly and at a decent price so it helped me make the choice.

No disrespect to Mojo owners but I didn't feel that bike was in the same class. My test rides made me feel that bike was quick and handled small bumps really well but was ultimately a bit too flexy for me. It may also have a pretty low BB. It may feel better with a 20mm fork but the rear felt flexy and I'm spolied by the X-5 and Salty I owned before this.

mtbr member

close but not the same

I've ridden the Ciclon's predesessor and the H/L 5 spot and the non hl Sultan and my experience helped me for the opinion that the 5" Ventana was more plush on the small high frequency bumps and is slightly faster on easier climbs but because of it's progressive rocker it squatted on the steep climbs and never came close to using all it's travel no matter how soft I set it; while it never used close to all it's travel at the end of the available travel it never bottomed. It was 1/2 lb lighter though.
    The longer more linear rocker on the Turners uses more of the available travel, if you set it up soft it will bottom harshly. The travel felt deeper and it never bobbed like the Ventana and climbed the super steep stuff better IMHO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey Loco!
    Still deciding, heh? haha
    Just get the El Ciclon and be done with it! You will be very happy.
    No really, you can't go wrong with either of them. They are both great bikes made by very reputable companies that stand behind them better than anyone.

mtbr member

Initial Impression

I picked up a demo Ciclon today from Velo City Bicycles and had a chance to get a short ride in, about 3 miles of steep fire road climb and another 3 miles of fast downhill single track with some rocky sections, some lose grave sections, and a handful of creek crossings. I have had the Spot for a week now and need to give it up tomorrow.

I found the Ciclon much more stable and sure footed going down the single tack. Held the trail very well on lose sections, and rolled over the rocky sections with no problem. The suspension felt a little more active to me. On the other hand, the Spot climbed much better than the Ciclon and felt a little more stable in general, but that could have been due to the shorter top tube on the Spot, which could be corrected with a shorter stem on the Ciclon.

The builds on the two bikes are probably contributing to some of the difference as the Ciclon was set up for something a little more aggressive. The Spot came with 2.1" Continental tires while the Ciclon came with 2.35 Kenda's. The Ciclon has a Pike fork on it with 5.5" of travel and a coil that isn't designed to go up to my weight, making it a little more plush than the Revelation on the Spot. The Spot has an RP23 rear shock, which certainly helps the climbs, if I get the Ciclon, I will upgrade to the RP23. Also, the Spot did not have a QR seatpost, although it was so much more stable than my current bike, I dont' think it was as necessary. I did lower the seat on the Ciclon for the descent. The Ciclon seemed to weigh a lot more than the Spot, but I'm sure it can be built lighter.

I will post back after I have ridden the Ciclon for another week or so. I'm thinking of taking the Spot out one more time with bigger tires and lowering the seat to see if I can get a better comparison. But at this point, they seem like very different bikes. It may come down to weather I want a bike that is best for 75-80% of the riding I do, or one that is better for the more fun 20-25% of my riding. Of course that is due to proximity to trails, not because I like to spend my time doing less fun riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EBrider
    The builds on the two bikes are probably contributing to some of the difference as the Ciclon was set up for something a little more aggressive. The Spot came with 2.1" Continental tires while the Ciclon came with 2.35 Kenda's. The Ciclon has a Pike fork on it with 5.5" of travel and a coil that isn't designed to go up to my weight, making it a little more plush than the Revelation on the Spot. The Spot has an RP23 rear shock, which certainly helps the climbs, if I get the Ciclon, I will upgrade to the RP23. Also, the Spot did not have a QR seatpost, although it was so much more stable than my current bike, I dont' think it was as necessary. I did lower the seat on the Ciclon for the descent. The Ciclon seemed to weigh a lot more than the Spot, but I'm sure it can be built lighter.

I will post back after I have ridden the Ciclon for another week or so. I'm thinking of taking the Spot out one more time with bigger tires and lowering the seat to see if I can get a better comparison. But at this point, they seem like very different bikes. It may come down to weather I want a bike that is best for 75-80% of the riding I do, or one that is better for the more fun 20-25% of my riding. Of course that is due to proximity to trails, not because I like to spend my time doing less fun riding.
    I think you are right on. The build are very different which is contributing to the differences you are feeling between them. If you were to put identical builds on each, then you will find that they will feel a lot more similar. 2.35 vs 2.1's make a HUGE difference, especially if the 2.35 Kenda's are Nevegals which roll very slow. I actually find my Ciclon to climb very well. I now climb better than I did on my Yeti 575 which is known as a very good bike for climbing.

Either way, both are great bikes. I give the nod to the Ciclon (obviously. I bought one!)

Good luck,

JP

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the ciclone has almost an inch less travel than the 575, how does that compare?

mtbr member
    Sorry 575 great bike (new one) BUT doesn't compare to Ventana!

Why you may ask?????????????

Err.....Welds, finish, looks,style, quad bearings, not made in Asia, colours, dropouts, derailler hanger quality, stiffer, headbadge, tyre clearance, BB CNC machining and the list goes on but tea's ready!

mtbr member
    errr...and...gheiest ???

mtbr member

So in the end

For my build, I thought the Spot felt a little more stable in general. Played around a little bit with the Ciclon, tried a shorter stem, but still didn't get the same feel. On the other hand, I liked the suspension on the Ciclon better, the look and quality of the bike seemed better and it would be nice to have support from a good semi-local shop.

But, decided on the Spot because I felt a lot more stable on it and the general geometry of the frame seemed more comfortable all around, either climbing or descending. The Ciclon felt better on rocky downhill single track at moderate speeds.

A big thanks to Internal14 at Velo City Bicycle Center for helping me out with the Ventana. Its good to have a local dealer that rides and knows the trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I hope you are planning on posting pictures and your build specs at some point. Oh, make sure you do that in the right forum

the train keeps rollin
    Loco,

Plain and Simple. Get the one that fits you better, there's no subsitution for proper fit.
    beaver hunt