mtbr member

El Ciclon Vs Blur LT

Hello from Portugal.

I never saw a Ventana, unless here at mbr. But I like a lot of Ventana frames, and everything else that you said about the brand and the owners.
    I had and have Santacruz, like a lot of the brand but for superior quality and for that special costume brand is Ventana, far superior than Intense!

But never seen one in Portugal, and I'm thinking buying one, don't know how, but I manage that minor detail.

What I want to know is how can Ciclon compares with the VPP of the BLT, since I ride one for almost 3 years.
    Last edited by Surfas; 03-06-2008 at 06:27 AM.

Single Speed Junkie
    Ventana has always treated us right and would not hesitate to buy another.

If you like brake jack and replacing creaking pivots then buy the VPP.

I hate it when people come onto manufacturer forums and ask them to compare their brand against anothers...

Do you really expect anyone on the Ventana board to recommend the Blur? We ride one of the only real "boutique" bikes left on the market for a reason. The quality and customer service is like no other. And the bikes are killer.

mtbr member
    RSutton I don't want recommendations, I just want to know the differences.
    I don't had any problems with creaks, bearings I have a friend with a Blur from 2001/2002 don't record the year with the same bearings and almost 15000 miles on that bike.

I just want to know the differences and you tell me one, brake jack!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas
    RSutton I don't want recommendations, I just want to know the differences.
    I don't had any problems with creaks, bearings I have a friend with a Blur from 2001/2002 don't record the year with the same bearings and almost 15000 miles on that bike.

I just want to know the differences and you tell me one, brake jack!
    Thanks
    The Ventana suspension is more plush under power and more active over everything than a VPP suspension.
    A VPP suspension is quick - because the rear stiffens up under pedalling forces. This gives it great acceleration, but mediocre responsiveness to changing terrain. You also get more pedal feedback in small ring climbing attempts and the brake jack is worse than on a modified SP or four bar linkage.
    The Ventana pedals well- not as fast as the VPP. Platform valve shocks have ameliorated this slight difference though. PUSH can also work wonders (by custom setting the amount of pedalling platform. It is fully active on the way up - meaning that in climbing rock gardens, you dont get hung up because your rear didnt want to compress.

All of this is my opinion backed by quasi-science and a lot of studying decent arm-chair quarterbacks on the boards. YMMV.

i haven't ridden the new BLT with the zerks, but i used to own an Intense and sold it for a Ventana terremoto. Again.. comparing 2 bikes you aren't looking at.. but from the big picture, vpp does accelerate quicker and that was the biggest +. But I am one who adapts to the bike, rather than the other way around, so I got used to riding the ventana's linkage.
    Where I live.. there are way too many santa cruzes and I like to be more unique so that's one reason why i like Ventana.. and would buy another. The CS is great, and their rear triangle is noticeably stiffer. With my old vpp, I hated was the rear triangle and the cable routing, and when setting out to look for a new frame.. ventana was included on a very short list. I don't like the blt cable routing either on the blt (rear D cable rubs the seattube) but maybe that isn't a concern for you.

think about what you don't like about ur blt and go from there. if u want a stiffer frame, more plush, different geo, nicer paint, etc etc, we can help you with comparisons.
    Last edited by unfluid one; 03-07-2008 at 02:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CharacterZero and unfluid sum it up well. The VPP will be faster to accelerate, especially on smoother climbs and trails- no doubt about it, given equal riders. That is essentially its primary advantage but the cons are many- more flexy, stiffens under pedal forces, higher maintenance, terrible customer service, cocky company, and nowhere near the construction quality. They (SC) are working on making things better but it remains to be seen.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Ditto. I had a Blur and I thought it was ok. MBA said it was the stiffest thing out there but I thought it was flexy but I weigh 215 in fighting trim. I ride in wet conditions so the bearings were good for 6 to 9 months but I had the first gen Blur. I hated it during technical climbs and thought it rode harshly until I softened up the shock. With the platform shocks I can get my El Rey to ride like a Blur with proper shock settings and vice versa. The Ventanas still have a better bearing design according to one local wrench if you ride in adverse conditions, and are stiffer, and have greater mud clearance. My mind tells me I want a extremely efficient ride, but the Ventanas ride brings smiles to my face. If you are a hammer 95% of the time I'm guessing you will like the Blur better. I'm not a hater. If I was in my early twenties I would have a Spyder.