mtbr member
    Feb 2006

El Ciclon fork question.....

Thinking of getting some RS Revelations for my El Ciclon - now being the tart that I am I want white forks.....

The only white Revs are the U-turn ones - I can't really se me using these...

Anyone tried running 120mm or less occasionally on an El Ciclon ?

What effect does it have ?

cheers all

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    I switch between 120 & 140 on my Talas for most trails I ride. I've used the 100 setting for a couple of steep climbs but would never trail ride it in that mode. I'm actually thinking about getting a Pike all-travel and setting it at 130mm. But I also want a new Ti frame (Moots or Titus) so things are subject to change.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    justa- isn't the Revelation a 130mm fork. My 2006 Rev was and I'd like the option of going to 140 and even a bit higher sometimes. If the Rev is now 140mm, I think it would make a very good light fork for any bike. At 130, the BB will be kinda low though the headangle will not steepen too much (.3 degrees or so).

Personally, I'd use a 140mm fork like a Fox Talas 32 or RS Pike and even the adjustable Fox 36 or Lyric before using a fork that maxes out at 130. I'm a year behind on RS forks to if the Rev is now 140, you're good to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Pike

Get the pike. The stiffness of the frame is well suited to that particular fork. Plus the travel is adjustable and at 140mmm the HA is around 68 degrees which is sweet for descending. Haven't even thought about switching it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    2nd the pikes on a ciclon. I had some vanillias that went to 125mm, but having some 140mm forks on there puts the bike in a different league-bloody awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Flyer - revs are still 130

I run Magra Laurins at the moment and they are 130mm - suits the El Ciclon brilliantly - don't want Pikes as that would mean a new front wheel ( I have Stans Olympic rims on DT Swiss 240's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Justin the through axle is the way to go. Seriously stiff at the front end and bugger all of a weight penalty

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    not changing me wheels ! Not had them long...

What MTB did a test on forks and the Magura's were on a par with bolt thru's in the stiffness front - the revs weren't too far behind

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Hard to believe

In fact there is no way a Revelation is even in the same league as far as stiffness goes with a Pike. It's a cc fork.............................but a damn good one. I hear ya about the hub switch. I completely understand.

Enlightened
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    What MTB did a test on forks and the Magura's were on a par with bolt thru's in the stiffness front - the revs weren't too far behind
    It would be interesting to see this article.

I'm thinking of avoiding a TA setup on my Ciclon build to save as much weight as possible without sacrificing too much front end rigidity. Hopefully something like a Fox Talas 32 (140-120-100mm) would do nicely? I'm 155lbs in full gear and don't do more than 3 ft drops. Having said that, this Ciclon is replacing my Enduro SL and so I'm coming from a 25mm TA DC. Never had a steering issue on that bike other when navigating tight switchbacks that is.

From what I've read, 140mm is about as far as one would want to attempt without going TA so at my relatively lightweight and non overly aggressive riding, I am thinking that I should be ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    mudmojo - haven't got a scanner but will type the results

I use a Magura Laurin on my El Ciclon...

They did a torque test to see how the forks stood up to steering loads - they pointed out that not all manufacturers agree with this type of test i.e Maverick

The results showed how much the forks deflected at 25 kg of force and were measured in mm.

Pike - 22 mm
    Pace RC41 Bolt thru - 24mm
    Magura Laurin - 25mm
    Manitou Minute bolt thru- 26mm
    Revelation and Recon - 27mm
    Marzocchi xc600 & 700 - 30mm
    Fox Float, Talas and Vanilla - 33mm
    Manitou Relic - 40mm
    Spinner Echo - 45mm
    Maverick SC32 - 60

I think those results show that a bolt thru isn't the only way to build stiffness into a fork...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Justa - was that the new Manitou Minute with absolute damping which they tested and did they also test the stiffness on the Minute with QR? And I assume the Fox forks were the new 2008 models? A bit dissapointing they did not score anh higher than that compared to the older RS Revelation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    erm - the fox were the 07 models - magazine was May 07

It was the manitou minute super spv 140 qith the hexlock axle - it scored 4 out of 10 as they had a couple of pairs explode !

Shot Down in Flames...
    I have 2 Rebas (Team, Race), a 426 Rev & a 454 PIKE. I can tell you the Rev is a lot closer to the Reba Race than the PIKE in the stiffness category. The Rev deflects noticeably more than the PIKE.

The weight gain is pretty negligible going from a QR to 20mm in relation to the added stiffness. A front wheel can be had relatively cheap.

D.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Have gone for another set of Magura's

as i stated I don't think 20mm axles are the only way to increase stiffness..

In white

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    oh and where Pikes weigh 4.5 llbs + the Magura's weigh 3.75 lbs so I think there is a weight penalty

Have had Pikes before though and they are a good fork..

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by justa
    mudmojo - haven't got a scanner but will type the results

I use a Magura Laurin on my El Ciclon...

They did a torque test to see how the forks stood up to steering loads - they pointed out that not all manufacturers agree with this type of test i.e Maverick

The results showed how much the forks deflected at 25 kg of force and were measured in mm.

Pike - 22 mm
    Pace RC41 Bolt thru - 24mm
    Magura Laurin - 25mm
    Manitou Minute bolt thru- 26mm
    Revelation and Recon - 27mm
    Marzocchi xc600 & 700 - 30mm
    Fox Float, Talas and Vanilla - 33mm
    Manitou Relic - 40mm
    Spinner Echo - 45mm
    Maverick SC32 - 60

I think those results show that a bolt thru isn't the only way to build stiffness into a fork...
    Interesting test results. I would like to see your test set up and how you captured the results. The Magura Laurin certainly looks like a contender......and the fact Magura has the sense to license the Maxle from RS......tells me they know a good system.

Enlightened
    Justa: Thanks for the writeup! As with any test, there are many ways to skew results to fit one's desired view of the world. I do find it hard to believe that any XC fork could come so close to the stiffness of a TA. I would imagine that the sensation of front end flex may have as much in common with relative deflection as it does with absolute deflection. Wheel & hub selection & lacing pattern might play a major part in it as well. The fact that the wheels are different makes this an exercise in changing at least two variables which usually complicates findings but can lead to some general statements.

Ever consider powercoating the lowers on your Maguras? Don't think that would be too spendy. I'm going to look into them myself. Thanks for the headsup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    can't enlighten you I'm afraid...

all What MTB said was..

'as well as riding the bejesus out of the forks for as long as possible, we also did some simple but effective torque steering tests'

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mudmojo
    Justa: Thanks for the writeup! As with any test, there are many ways to skew results to fit one's desired view of the world. I do find it hard to believe that any XC fork could come so close to the stiffness of a TA. I would imagine that the sensation of front end flex may have as much in common with relative deflection as it does with absolute deflection. Wheel & hub selection & lacing pattern might play a major part in it as well. The fact that the wheels are different makes this an exercise in changing at least two variables which usually complicates findings but can lead to some general statements.

Ever consider powercoating the lowers on your Maguras? Don't think that would be too spendy. I'm going to look into them myself. Thanks for the headsup.
    no probs !

i went for some new 2008 Menja's which are lighter this year 1710g for the 130mm in White

oh they also just have a straight forward lock out on the crown top rather than the remote control platform switch which I prefer...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Queston along the same lines..

I am thinking of switching my 06 revelation to somthing else.

I am looking at two possible options....would you get

1. a "lighty used 05 pike" for $250
    ...or
    2. a freshly rebuilt by maverick 05 Maverick DUC 32 with front wheel/hub for $500?

Both are craigslist items ive been eyeing. Getting used is never garunteed but both look good. Has anyone run a maverick fork (150mm) on their ciclon? I dont hear much about these forks.