El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012

El Ciclo-Path!!!

I know the new frames and models are all the rage, but I just wanted to post that I thoroughly have been enjoying my 2010, non-curved top tube Path edition El Ciclon which I've dubbed El Ciclo-Path.

I've been riding it for almost an entire season now and for an oldie like me who harkins back to the mid 90's "DAWN of the GOLDEN AGE" of MTB, all the new bikes, designs, engineering, components, forks, brakes, I mean just stems and seat posts for example. Back in the the day, we had Control Tech! If you had a little more money, then you bought a Kore. If you did downhilling, you bought an Answer! If you were from Beverly Hills, you got a Titec. For forks, you had the Judy.....Manitou........Marzocchi was around, but nobody really knew anything about them......you were the envy of all if you had a Judy SL.....the Judy DH had what......3" of travel? Elastomers!!!

But Ventana was there!

Back in the mid-90's I started on a Price Club bought GT Pantera with hanger center pull brakes and a rigid fork............then came the most futuristic funky framed Cannondale Super V........Once I graduated from Chiropractic college, I set up my clinic near Pasadena and one day, thru the referral by a friend, Brent Foes shows up. After that, I rode his frames...the LTS....later the Slammer...............

But I always admired the Ventanas. The Ventana logo...everytime I saw one, whether on the trail, in a magazine...I always admored the craftsmanship and build and the company.

So marriage comes along...kids, the pressure of the work.....mountain biking and pretty much all other hobbies took a back seat......for 15 plus years!

But early last year, I was visiting a friend and saw that she had a Citizen folding bike stowed away in her closet. Pulled it out, admired it....and a flood of memories came back. Memories of Chantry Flat, Mount Wilson, Mt. Pinos, Brown Mountain, Glendora Mountain Road, White Saddle, Red Box Rincon, Santiago Canyon, Blackstar Canyon, Aliso wood, the Fullerton Loop, Shabarum Park, 7th avenue, Moab, Mammoth, Deer Valley, Big Bear every Summer.........

The other big thing that happened in the last 20 years was............the internet....!!!!

Research this......research that....pictures......hey!!!!! MTBR is still here and better than ever!!!!!

I ended up buying a Turner Flux. But it was too small. I thought I rode a medium, but that was just not the case and it was an expensive mistake. But then oneday, visiting the Path to look at some Santa Cruz bikes, I spy that Ventana logo on a frame hanging in the rafters. I think I went back 4 or 5 times before deciding to ditch the Turner, the SC.....I bought that frame, turns out to have "Path Geometry" which I had no idea what that meant at the time......didnt really know anything about the "current" geometry....I mean I used to ride a 6" travel bike with a 3" travel fork with the BB that was 10 stories tall!!!

I am a Clyde...so it took some times getting the Ciclo-Path dialed in. I'm still on a 150 RS Sektor with QR drop outs. But I'm using a 9mm RWS and although I never really had issue even with the standard QR, the RWS has been rock solid. I went from some really skinny XT wheels to 28mm Mavic 521's and I'm loving it. Also went with a Zee rear hub with a 10mm RWS thru, which has stiffened things up.

Brakes...............XT's.............no really issues once dialed in. Work great.

I went from a 110 stem.to a 100...and have settled with the Thomson 50mm.................and a Havoc 750 low riser which I LOVE!!!!

XT cranks......I think 170mm is a better fit for my short legs, but I've been getting by on 175s.

Went from a WTB seat what literally fell apart under my substantial weight after a few months to an SDG. Glad SDG is still around, but I don't think the new ones are made in the USA. But the quality is there.

I don't like the rear shock. It's a Van R............I don't think this is the original spec'd shock, but it is the one that came with the frame.

The bike is SOLID. I like that it's not curvy. I looks traditionally functional and it works that way too.

The geometry. Yes, the DH's are fun and the bike feels confident. The 74 degree STA...........the bike has a great climbing position.

I do very very much like this bike, and Sherwood and Teresa......oustanding people.

Some pics taken today.

El Ciclo-Path!!!-photo_zps2fb0b0be.jpg

El Ciclo-Path!!!-gggggggg_zps4c094ac4.jpg

And yes, I do regularly wear a helmet and a right hand glove!

El Ciclo-Path!!!-photo2_zps409df0ef.jpg

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Fantastic - a lot of the reasons you listed are reasons why I haven't moved on from my "old" El Terremoto

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thanks!!!! I'm just wanting to get a 15mmQR one of these days.....

No known cure
    I haven't found a valid reason to upgrade from my last gen EC and I no longer suffer from upgraditis. It has similar numbers to the path edition (74*sa 67* ha 24"tt and 13"bb) I can dial out all bob with the CCDB but I like a little bit of inchworming. I used to think that my enduro race times may be a bit quickerwith a dual link bike but now the climbing sections aren't timed. I'm going to send her in for new paint and bearings over the winter.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Your bike is awesome Vader! Speaking of climbing......i havent been up Brown Mountain in years so I reviewed the trail.......an "easy" fireroad climb they said. LOL No way!!! I made it about half way, then turned around. It was a fun downhill. I haven't tried any rear shocks with lock out; haven't felt the need yet, what I've noticed is that when in the 22 granny or the 32 middle ring while climbing, when i'm in the 34 or the next one down in the rear, there is very LITTLE bob. And the suspension remains very active. This is with the Fox Van R (not the RC) with the rebound two clicks towards the slow side past the middle setting. Up front, I have the Sektor RL with a X-Heavy spring. The fork has performed OK, but it does have a bit of stiction and never feels super plush, but I'm thinking that is because of the stiff spring. When I had the med spring in it, the action felt better, but I was getting too much sag.

Are you going to go with the same or a new color?!?!?!

El Ciclo-Path!!!-photo1_zps9321a201.jpg

El Ciclo-Path!!!-photo2_zpsdf3d6590.jpg

El Ciclo-Path!!!-photo3_zps903056d3.jpg

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Fachiro1 View Post
    Your bike is awesome Vader! Speaking of climbing......i havent been up Brown Mountain in years so I reviewed the trail.......an "easy" fireroad climb they said. LOL No way!!! I made it about half way, then turned around. It was a fun downhill. I haven't tried any rear shocks with lock out; haven't felt the need yet, what I've noticed is that when in the 22 granny or the 32 middle ring while climbing, when i'm in the 34 or the next one down in the rear, there is very LITTLE bob. And the suspension remains very active. This is with the Fox Van R (not the RC) with the rebound two clicks towards the slow side past the middle setting. Up front, I have the Sektor RL with a X-Heavy spring. The fork has performed OK, but it does have a bit of stiction and never feels super plush, but I'm thinking that is because of the stiff spring. When I had the med spring in it, the action felt better, but I was getting too much sag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1_zps9321a201.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	833983

Name:	photo2_zpsdf3d6590.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	833984

Name:	photo3_zps903056d3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	833985
    No. I'm thinking about Ferrari red with no sparkle. I need to send in the shock for upgrades and a long deserved rebuild and send the fork out to Avalanche for a new cartridge upgrade. Then I'll be good for at least another two years. By then the frame will be ready to be recycled.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Team Chilidog!

Ahh, Brown Mountain. That brings back memories. It took me 4 times before I made it to the top. I was at my heaviest weight (215lbs) and riding a hardtail, but I did it. Do you park off Windsor? I used to live across the street from the parking lot

There's another out and back fireroad way up Brown Mountain. You can't loop it into El Prieto, but it does work, and it was much easier than the 4 mile fireroad in the sun side everyone rides. It also wasn't as torn up.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Ahh, Brown Mountain. That brings back memories. It took me 4 times before I made it to the top. I was at my heaviest weight (215lbs) and riding a hardtail, but I did it. Do you park off Windsor? I used to live across the street from the parking lot

There's another out and back fireroad way up Brown Mountain. You can't loop it into El Prieto, but it does work, and it was much easier than the 4 mile fireroad in the sun side everyone rides. It also wasn't as torn up.
    Wow Anne!!!

I'll find that other fireroad....

So you did used to live in the area!!!!

Team Chilidog!

I'll find that other fireroad....

So you did used to live in the area!!!!
    Yep, 2.5 years in Pasadena/Altadena and worked at Caltech from 2002-2004. So I rode Cherry Canyon, Cheeseboro, Arroyo Seco, Brown Mountain. Never had the confidence to try to ride El Prieto at the time. Saw crazy folks who pedaled their DH bikes up Brown Mountain on the way to El Prieto. Just nuts.

If I can dig up a map, I can tell you where it is. PM me.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The fire road is most likely the Arroyo Seco. It's the left as the Brown Mtn. climb heads up to the right. It doesn't go to Brown Mountain, but becomes a flattish singletrack that used to connect to the Gabrieleno Trail before the Station Fire.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    I gotta check it out! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey Fachiro, just FYI Jenson has a pretty decent San Gabes map on sale right now:

San Gabriel Mountains Map > Fall Inventory Reduction Sale | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for thevheads up!

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    El Ciclo-Path!!!-photo1_zps610b3a24.jpgI found a great deal on a 2013 RS Sektor RL with the 15mm axle..................YIPPEEEE!!!!!!!! I love it! It does feel stiffer....tracks better.......YEAH!