Undercover Redneck
    Aug 2004

El Chamuco, 5-Spot, or Switchback????

I'm new to the forum and in the market for a FS trail bike and these are the three I've come up with so far based only on what I've read on this forum. I was initially interested in a few XC bikes but I think the "trail bikes" fit my riding style better. Which would you choose and why? I would like to hear from anyone whose has experience with any two or all three of them. Also, are there others that I should consider? Thanks in advance for your input?

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001

Kinda different frames...

Quote Originally Posted by pbunt
    I'm new to the forum and in the market for a FS trail bike and these are the three I've come up with so far based only on what I've read on this forum. I was initially interested in a few XC bikes but I think the "trail bikes" fit my riding style better. Which would you choose and why? I would like to hear from anyone whose has experience with any two or all three of them. Also, are there others that I should consider? Thanks in advance for your input?
    Although the five-spot and switchback are beefy frames in their own right, the Chamuco was originally intended and still is, a Freeride bike. It just happens that you can make a trail bike out of it. Getting built up under 30lbs would require some very light components that should be reserved for XC Race bikes only.

So if you go in with that thought, can you make a decenct trailbike, hell yeah, it will be one Sturdy frame, with some laid back manners. The Head angle will be slack, ~68 Degrees, you have a good pedalling characteristics in the middle ring, with a little less effeciency in the small one.

You'll end up with a very strong frame, much more so than the other two listed, but then again it's a 8lbs +. Frame. If ya like doing drops, jumps and rocky terrain, the Chamuco can handle it no problem. If you like long climbs, smooth single track etc. the other two might fit the bill better.

Anyway my biased $0.05 worth.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Neg reppers r my biatches

Having just gone through this....

Quote Originally Posted by pbunt
    I too focused on the trailbike sector. At the end of the day, bike that made my semi-final list if you will, are all incredible bikes and frankly, none would have been a bad choice so keep in mind that at some point, it will be completely subjective which one "feels" the best as the right bike.

My recommendations that warrant serious consideration, all with their own pluses and minuses based on price, theoretical differences, and more importantly, practical differences (ie, dont get to hung up on theoretical discussion on the physics of different linkages as a well executed bike in any platform will work well, in my opinion) include the following:

* Foes FXR
    * 5 Spot
    * Yeti 575
    * Intense 5.5
    * Ventana X-5
    * Ellsworth Moment

Of course there are others but being a bike snob I suppose, I wanted a bike built in the USA (Yeti 575 is the exception but regardless, this bike needed to be included in the list in my opinion).

Do research on the above to get a sense of comparisons of the various parameters that are important to YOU (eg, lateral stiffness, pedalling efficiency, descending prowess, geometry, weight of frame, ability to have 6" travel, ability to have coil and air shocks, etc...).

At the end of the day, without a doubt, the Ventana X-5 was the best for ME. I have zero regrets and having gone through a bike a year to find the perfect bike, my search is over......at least for the perfect trailbike (currently working on a perfect hardtail racebike since of course, I have nothing better to do )

Cheers