Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cars Hurt.
    May 2009

El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.

I thought I was all set to get a 2011 Specialized Stumpy FSR 29" in XXL. I am 6'6", 205 pounds. The Stumpy is $2700 but I recently saw that Competitive Cyclist has the 23" in blue on sale for $1,000. Going with their Stock X9 build, switching to a Reba and a Stans Arch+XT wheelset it ends up being $2,800 and according to their calculator weights 26 pounds with pedals, 4 pounds lighter than a stock Stumpy fsr comp.

The Ventana has some ups and downs. No tapered headtube but its more unique and made by a great company. Part of me hates the idea of mountain biking turning into nothing but Treks and Specialized which seems to be where we are headed looking at the local trails.

I'm not sure that I even have a question except to complain how its harder to make a decision due to the El Capitans sexy blue paintjob. For $1,000 its tempting to get the frame and just toss the Reba and other random parts from my hardtail onto it instead of dropping 3k on a new bike.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I did see that but isn't full MSRP on their frames over $2,000? Part of the appeal of the close out was being able to get a Ventana at a reasonable price. Frames in the 2k range such as Pivot and Turner are outside of my budget.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    You know that Ventana is changing their frame designs for full suspension, including getting tapered headtubes?

http://www.ventanausa.com
    Way to try to kill a potential sale Anne.

Sheesh!

LTS - Also something that comes with going with V, is the loyalty program. Buy the CC El Cap and in few seasons if you feel the need to, you can trade in El Cap and get a discount on a new Ventana. The closeout frames still get the trade in discount.

Edit: to Anne: ok you acquitted yourself with your follow up post.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's a heck of a deal, I agree. But careful if you are 6'6". I am the same height and got the size 25. I was lucky enough to try both sizes and went with the bigger one. And I see that they only have size 23 left. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think I might place my order Monday for this thing. What is the best and most cost effective fork to run?

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    My current bike is a GT Peace 9er. 25" Effective Top Tube and I run a 100mm stem. It is tight to say the least. If not for my mary handlebar I would be unable to pedal out of the saddle. The Stumpy XXL is 26.25" ETT which matches the 25" El Cap. I know that I could handle a 26.25" ETT and just run a shorter stem to quicken the handling. The problem as I said before is that I can't spend over $2,000 just for a frame and if I did I think I would go with the Turner Sultan. Unfortunately no shops around me carry this size of a bike. I would have to order the Stumpy just to test ride it.

One of my problems has been finding how the suspension on the El Cap handles. Could anyone compare it to the FSR style rear suspension? I'm in Northern California where the trails are either going up or down. Lots of 7-9% fire roads and the occasional 20% climb. My goal for this summer is to hit Downieville and Oregon.

As for a fork I bought a used Reba 29" for my GT for $220 shipped on ebay. You could easily build a $2,000 El Cap especially if you have some spare parts laying around like most mountain bikers do.

Space Ghost
    Couple of things. First, I just bought and built the El Rey in Orange from CC. Got it when they dropped to $750. Second, I was expecting the "old" technology of the V suspension to underwhelm me. It didn't. I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually like it better than my RIP9 I had. Third, there is NO way you will get that bike to 26 lbs. The Ventana frames jump a pound and a quarter once you go bigger than a 19". It says so on CC's site. I didn't read that and expected my 21" frame to be around 6.5 lbs. Imagine my surprise when it was 7 lbs. 7 oz. the El Cap is a heavier frame and you would be getting a larger size. Mine is 28 lbs even with X9 (1x9) with Hope/Flows tubeless with Racing Ralphs 2.25 and Elixir CR's. It is a great handling bike and very balanced. For the price you can't go wrong, but the Specialized will pedal better if it has the Brain. Good luck!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo

Sheesh!

LTS - Also something that comes with going with V, is the loyalty program. Buy the CC El Cap and in few seasons if you feel the need to, you can trade in El Cap and get a discount on a new Ventana. The closeout frames still get the trade in discount.

Edit: to Anne: ok you acquitted yourself with your follow up post.
    Just want to clarify:

Current frames being closed out will be able to be traded in on NEW Ventana frames for a discount later.

Trading in an older Ventana frame on the current closeout frames does not work.

I know, I asked. It doesn't hurt to try, but a discount on a frame that's already 40% + off, I guess is a bit too much to double dip on discounts. Can't say I'd blame anyone for that.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    FYI:
    turnerbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=182

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets Try Science

One of my problems has been finding how the suspension on the El Cap handles. Could anyone compare it to the FSR style rear suspension? I'm in Northern California where the trails are either going up or down. Lots of 7-9% fire roads and the occasional 20% climb. My goal for this summer is to hit Downieville and Oregon.
    NorCal is a widely varied place to ride. If you love technical tight uphill/downhill trails, then the El Cap will be perfect. It's an active rear end so in super tech 110% power moves the bike is there to help you up and over the edges. On the downhill side of things the bike is super stiff in the front end and rear end. The front will go where you point, no frame deflection for sure. The rear end is also a stiff bugger that will allow to to stick to off camber stuff amazingly well, and hold a line through rough bouldery sections like nothing else.

Where does the Ventana loose out? At the scale....you pay for all that rigidity, but at 6'6" you NEED it!
    Also on the smooth fireroad climbs where you'd be better off on a hardtail anyway.

If you can make that 23" El Cap. fit for you, I do not see how you'd ever be let down by the bike over a Spec. bike.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    FYI:
    turnerbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=182
    Were you trying to point out that a 2XL Sultan only has a 25.3 ETT?
    -Aaron G.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Were you trying to point out that a 2XL Sultan only has a 25.3 ETT?
    Or maybe this has something to do with it? To me, a DW Sultan for $1499 is a bargain.

The problem as I said before is that I can't spend over $2,000 just for a frame and if I did I think I would go with the Turner Sultan.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    If the Sultan had a longer ETT I would spend the $1500 on it right now. The only FS 29s with longer top tubes are Specialized, Pivot, and Ventana. Lenz and Turner have a 25.25" ETT on their XXLs. In the end I really only have 3 choices for bikes.
    Stumpy - $2700 complete
    El Cap - $1,000 frame only
    Mach 429 - ~$2,000 frame only

I'm seriously considering snagging the El Cap + Fork and then tossing my hardtails parts onto it. That would give me the freedom to upgrade piece by piece and get what I actually what. For some reason people are always against this I never quite understood why. Sad thing about the Stumpy FSR Comp is the parts spec that you get for $2,700. A 2,200 gram wheelset eww. By the time you replace the bits they obviously skimped on your spending around $3,500.

On a tangent I will be happy with Specialized's patent for the Horst link expires. I used to work in paintball and the company Smart Parts go a patent on electric markers so broad that they could basically sue anyone who "use an electronic switch to activate the firing of a paintball marker." The result was small unique manufactures being sued out of business while other big dogs openly violated the patent since they had the money to hold up proceedings in court. I would like it if someone made aftermarket linkage so that you could modify your bike to horst link and get by the patent. Once it runs out it should be a non issue though and manufactures can make whats best for their customers. Sort of like how Chris King switched to the Cane Creek style of headset once their patent ran out.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Make no mistake - I think the El Cap is great. I'm 6'9" myself, and have the 25" with the 5" rockers.

Interesting idea about rear triangle conversion to Horst though...

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

XXL size !

If the Sultan had a longer ETT I would spend the $1500 on it right now.

For your info the 09 XXL dw Sultan that is on sale has a 26 inch TT......the new 2011 version has the shorter TT length ! You have to go back to the 09 Sultan Specs on their website ! I own both Ventana and a DW Turner Sultan....however , I'm just a rider not a salesman ! TIG.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

White Brother Fluid 135 on my El Cap

Quote Originally Posted by PLAID813
    I think I might place my order Monday for this thing. What is the best and most cost effective fork to run?
    I run a White Borthers Fluid 135 on mine and it does the trick for me! I run the 5" rockers on my El Cap so the 135 is a nice match. FWIW- I am 6'2" 225 Lbs. She pedals well uphill (Esp w/ProPedal engaged) and flies downhill over rocks w/aplomb! Mine is built up HD with the quad bearing set up and the same rear end as is used on Ventana's Tandem. The El Cap is my dream bike for the type of riding we do here is western Pa. Lots of steep ups and downs and I love rocky, nasty trails!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    [QUOTE=Lets Try Science] That would give me the freedom to upgrade piece by piece and get what I actually what. For some reason people are always against this I never quite understood why. [QUOTE]

I've done that with every bike I've built up. My sig used to be, "Frame Rich, parts poor", for a good reason.
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 03-15-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Price drop to $750! I couldn't resist so I pulled the trigger.

Space Ghost
    I felt the same way with the El Rey. At $1000 it was a GREAT deal. At $750 it was a no brainer. I honestly wasn't expecting to like the bike as much as I do, the price is just icing on the cake. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it all built up. I'm looking at 120mm fork options now. Whats my best bet in the $300-$500 range?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    For once it's not me to blame So when are those new changes going to be unvailed to the general public?

Space Ghost
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it all built up. I'm looking at 120mm fork options now. Whats my best bet in the $300-$500 range?
    I bought a one year old F29 RLC set at 120mm for $400 off the classifieds here. The fork has been brilliant. I reduced the travel to 100mm for a couple HT's I had, then mounted it up to my El Rey. I am not sure which RS fork would be good to go after, since I have not used any of them. Just make sure you buy a fork that still has enough steerer tube left to accommodate your fit (stem height, spacers, etc.). Good luck. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am hoping to find a good deal like that. The frame has a 6.5 inch head tube so it might be difficult to find something used. I am also looking for a 1x9 setup and brakes. I'll make a build list before I place my orders to make sure I'm getting a good deal on everything. This is my first complete build so I am stoked!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I too bought one of the El Cap's from comp cyclist. Always thought the ventana's were expensive for being a 4 link, but the stiffness in the frame made the choice for me. 1k was a bargain.

Should be waaay stiffer than my voodoo canzo i had owned

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    When did you buy it? Did you notice they dropped the price to $750?

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Possibly silly question. Does the El Cap have water bottle mounts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    When did you buy it? Did you notice they dropped the price to $750?
    i bought it 2 weeks ago....

think they will give me the difference?

Space Ghost
    Plaid, don't be afraid to look for an older bike in your size or bigger to strip the components off. I have done this before. Find an older frame that someone has put some quality parts on and use what you need and sell the rest. especially if you can't find a decent deal on what you are looking for. I don't think you should have a tough time with the fork though, with everyone jumping ship to tapered.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    OMG OMG OMG I just pulled the trigger and bought it in sexy blue paint along with a Cane Creek 40 headset.

I tend to have buyers remorse but it feels good that I won't be on a Specialized like most of the riders out there.

**** I need to start shopping for components for it.

On the topic of tapered headtubes. I think they are better but these frames over 21" have 6" steer tubes which I think will end up being a really stiff interface. My current 29 hardtail has a 4" headtube and I can see why with that small of a height you would want a tapered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I have a ht I will pulling some parts off of. So far I have the frame,wheelset,stem,saddle,seatpost,and handlle bars. After I source a fork I will need a to pick up a ss crankset,cassette,chain,brakes,shifter,and rear derailleur. It looks like there is still alot of 2010 leftovers for killer prices right now.

Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Congrats! You got the last blue one. What a steal for $750!

Space Ghost
    Plaid, don't focus on a SS crankset. A lot of the time you can find a triple for less and just use the 32T ring from it. I bought my SLX as a triple and took it apart.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    So far my plan is...
    Fox 32 F29 in 120mm or a Reba with a 15/20mm Thru Axle if I cant find the Fox at a reasonable price.
    Stan's Arch wheelset
    Already have Specialized Eskar and Captain tires
    ESI Chucky grips

Haven't picked
    Brakes
    Cockpit - Handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle
    Drivetrain will likely be X9 mix. FD/RD Cassette Shifters
    SLX m665 crankset. Are there other good light cranks around $200?

Should I go with a 10 speed drivetrain or just get cheaper 9 speed stuff? I'd like a 22x36 front and a 11-34/36 rear. I realize all I lose is a gear in the middle.

Proud lame eBiker
    jeeesus, about time. I was starting to think we were going to have to give a frame to you to make up your mind for you. Can't fricken beat the deals out there right now. Have no idea why there's even a question...

Congrats. Enjoy the build. You'll love the ride!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    This is my build planned out so far. My goal is a mix of XC and AM, basically a standard trailbike. My weights aren't perfect I know they are more of a rough idea for the end result.

Opinions? As is I'm coming in $100 cheaper than the Stumpy Comp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.-ventana.png  

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Oh wow , I found a picture of my old 06 El Capitan w 4 " rockers and 100 mm Reba up front !

If I still had it , I'd loose the gold components except for the hope brakes ( caps ) and replace with black stuff ! Also, no more 9 mm quick release junk for me...just 15 or 20 mm TA front and a Hadley thru bolt rear and most likely wheels built with 36 spokes and strong rims ! Probably even a 120 mm travel fork in front or Talas ! The frame is plenty stiff for us bigger riders and deserves components to match ! It was a fun bike and I miss it........couldn't resist posting it up ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyeti
    i bought it 2 weeks ago....

think they will give me the difference?
    bummer - because i bought a 21", they wont give me the 750 price of the 23" el cap. was worth a try

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I tried to check my orders status today and the site says it can't find it, possibly that their servers are down. I checked the credit card I used and saw that they haven't charged it yet.

Does anyone have experience with Competitive Cyclist? Do they wait to charge you until your order is boxed and ready to ship? I'd be heartbroken if for some reason my order had been canceled and the blues were all gone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was told when I placed my order the card would not be charged until the frame shipped. I wouldn't sweat it!

mtbr member
    I have 2 Venata's an X5 i picked up last year and El Choquillo hardtail. xl frames on both and they fit nice, the top tubes are custom length as i have long arms...my gf has 2 also, Sherwood and Teresa will take care of you..! good luck...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My frame should be here on Thursday! I should have all my parts by late next week. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get this beast built. I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Lucky you mine won't get here till Monday. Post some unboxing pictures for us.

Also do you have a scale to get the frame weight before you build it up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Nothing really exciting yet. The finish on the frame is perfect. You can tell its made with love. Unfortunately I have no way to weigh it. The last of my parts will be mailed out Monday. I hope to have it built by next weekend.

Here is my current ride:

My final build will be:

manitou tower pro
    stans 36h on hope 2 hubs
    truvativ stylo 1.1 ss cranks
    pg 990 cassette
    pg 991 chain
    king headset
    x.0 trigger shifter
    x.0 rear derailuer
    thomson seatpost
    thomson stem
    monkeylite xc handlebar
    avid elixir cr 185mm

I can't wait to take it out for the first ride!

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

????

Here is my current ride:

Oh wow....how about a close up of this frame ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here is some quick cell phone pics

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    In the last photo it looks like parts of your left fork leg are invisible.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    My frame gets in tomorrow. Almost everything ordered except for wheels and a fork. I have a Reba SL but the steer tube is only 7.5" and it looks like the El Cap is 6.3" plus the headset plus the stem.

I need some advice for the wheelset. Both Universal Cycles and Chain Reaction are sold out of Hope Pro 2 hubs in blue. I don't know when they would get them in stock and all the other wheelbuilders I have found cost way too much money (ie. they want $750 for what is $500-600 elsewhere). I can buy the parts individually but I don't know how hard the Flows are to build up. I don't have a ton of wheel building experience. Only regular truing and a set if tiagra/deep-v that are on my road bike. So should I....

1. Buy the parts from several stores and lace them up myself, they pay a local shop to do a good truing. (not sure if this would piss the shop off?)

2. Wait for CRC or UC to get blue hubs back in stock.

3. Go with black Hope hubs or XT hubs and stop being so obsessed with color palate.

4. Find another online store that builds wheels for a reasonable price.

From CRC a set of white Flows, double butted spokes, and Hope pro 2 hubs is $496 shipped. From UC it's $620 upside with them being that I like they, they are closer in case of warranty issues. Buying the parts individually is around $450-$500 from US stores.

Opinions?

Sorry for so much babbling.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Re: Wheels

I've had good luck with two shops that are on the forums. Larry from Mountain High Cyclery and Chad from Red Barn.

Chad built my last set of wheels - Hope II in Gunmetal Blue to Sun Equalizer 27's. (It is a 26" wheel, but same basic idea). Local shops were quoting $800 for lesser parts, and he beat that, easily.

I'd check some of the good shops out there. I know several people on just the Ventana board can steer you to some good wheel builders/shops.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had someone pm me about the head tube length. Both 23" frames that where just sent out have 5.4 inch head tubes. That reba sl you have may work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

brake hose length?

I'm expecting one of these el caps today. I bought a cheap groupset with a 1400mm rear brake hose. Does anyone know if that's long enough for the 23" frame? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast