Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cars Hurt.
    May 2009

El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.

I thought I was all set to get a 2011 Specialized Stumpy FSR 29" in XXL. I am 6'6", 205 pounds. The Stumpy is $2700 but I recently saw that Competitive Cyclist has the 23" in blue on sale for $1,000. Going with their Stock X9 build, switching to a Reba and a Stans Arch+XT wheelset it ends up being $2,800 and according to their calculator weights 26 pounds with pedals, 4 pounds lighter than a stock Stumpy fsr comp.

The Ventana has some ups and downs. No tapered headtube but its more unique and made by a great company. Part of me hates the idea of mountain biking turning into nothing but Treks and Specialized which seems to be where we are headed looking at the local trails.

I'm not sure that I even have a question except to complain how its harder to make a decision due to the El Capitans sexy blue paintjob. For $1,000 its tempting to get the frame and just toss the Reba and other random parts from my hardtail onto it instead of dropping 3k on a new bike.

Team Chilidog!
    You know that Ventana is changing their frame designs for full suspension, including getting tapered headtubes?

http://www.ventanausa.com
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I did see that but isn't full MSRP on their frames over $2,000? Part of the appeal of the close out was being able to get a Ventana at a reasonable price. Frames in the 2k range such as Pivot and Turner are outside of my budget.

Team Chilidog!
    I'd pick it up if it's what you're looking for then Ventana makes some great bikes, but you're asking a biased crowd here.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    You know that Ventana is changing their frame designs for full suspension, including getting tapered headtubes?

http://www.ventanausa.com
    Way to try to kill a potential sale Anne.

Sheesh!

LTS - Also something that comes with going with V, is the loyalty program. Buy the CC El Cap and in few seasons if you feel the need to, you can trade in El Cap and get a discount on a new Ventana. The closeout frames still get the trade in discount.

Edit: to Anne: ok you acquitted yourself with your follow up post.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's a heck of a deal, I agree. But careful if you are 6'6". I am the same height and got the size 25. I was lucky enough to try both sizes and went with the bigger one. And I see that they only have size 23 left. Decisions, decisions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think I might place my order Monday for this thing. What is the best and most cost effective fork to run?

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    My current bike is a GT Peace 9er. 25" Effective Top Tube and I run a 100mm stem. It is tight to say the least. If not for my mary handlebar I would be unable to pedal out of the saddle. The Stumpy XXL is 26.25" ETT which matches the 25" El Cap. I know that I could handle a 26.25" ETT and just run a shorter stem to quicken the handling. The problem as I said before is that I can't spend over $2,000 just for a frame and if I did I think I would go with the Turner Sultan. Unfortunately no shops around me carry this size of a bike. I would have to order the Stumpy just to test ride it.

One of my problems has been finding how the suspension on the El Cap handles. Could anyone compare it to the FSR style rear suspension? I'm in Northern California where the trails are either going up or down. Lots of 7-9% fire roads and the occasional 20% climb. My goal for this summer is to hit Downieville and Oregon.

As for a fork I bought a used Reba 29" for my GT for $220 shipped on ebay. You could easily build a $2,000 El Cap especially if you have some spare parts laying around like most mountain bikers do.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo

Sheesh!

LTS - Also something that comes with going with V, is the loyalty program. Buy the CC El Cap and in few seasons if you feel the need to, you can trade in El Cap and get a discount on a new Ventana. The closeout frames still get the trade in discount.

An apology would be nice.

I wasn't killing a sale--I was giving information. I was also looking for clarification.

Space Ghost
    Couple of things. First, I just bought and built the El Rey in Orange from CC. Got it when they dropped to $750. Second, I was expecting the "old" technology of the V suspension to underwhelm me. It didn't. I was very pleasantly surprised. I actually like it better than my RIP9 I had. Third, there is NO way you will get that bike to 26 lbs. The Ventana frames jump a pound and a quarter once you go bigger than a 19". It says so on CC's site. I didn't read that and expected my 21" frame to be around 6.5 lbs. Imagine my surprise when it was 7 lbs. 7 oz. the El Cap is a heavier frame and you would be getting a larger size. Mine is 28 lbs even with X9 (1x9) with Hope/Flows tubeless with Racing Ralphs 2.25 and Elixir CR's. It is a great handling bike and very balanced. For the price you can't go wrong, but the Specialized will pedal better if it has the Brain. Good luck!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Sheesh!

Just want to clarify:

Current frames being closed out will be able to be traded in on NEW Ventana frames for a discount later.

Trading in an older Ventana frame on the current closeout frames does not work.

I know, I asked. It doesn't hurt to try, but a discount on a frame that's already 40% + off, I guess is a bit too much to double dip on discounts. Can't say I'd blame anyone for that.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    FYI:
    turnerbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=182

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lets Try Science

One of my problems has been finding how the suspension on the El Cap handles. Could anyone compare it to the FSR style rear suspension? I'm in Northern California where the trails are either going up or down. Lots of 7-9% fire roads and the occasional 20% climb. My goal for this summer is to hit Downieville and Oregon.
    NorCal is a widely varied place to ride. If you love technical tight uphill/downhill trails, then the El Cap will be perfect. It's an active rear end so in super tech 110% power moves the bike is there to help you up and over the edges. On the downhill side of things the bike is super stiff in the front end and rear end. The front will go where you point, no frame deflection for sure. The rear end is also a stiff bugger that will allow to to stick to off camber stuff amazingly well, and hold a line through rough bouldery sections like nothing else.

Where does the Ventana loose out? At the scale....you pay for all that rigidity, but at 6'6" you NEED it!
    Also on the smooth fireroad climbs where you'd be better off on a hardtail anyway.

If you can make that 23" El Cap. fit for you, I do not see how you'd ever be let down by the bike over a Spec. bike.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by langen
    FYI:
    turnerbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=182
    Were you trying to point out that a 2XL Sultan only has a 25.3 ETT?
    -Aaron G.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Were you trying to point out that a 2XL Sultan only has a 25.3 ETT?
    Or maybe this has something to do with it? To me, a DW Sultan for $1499 is a bargain.

The problem as I said before is that I can't spend over $2,000 just for a frame and if I did I think I would go with the Turner Sultan.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    If the Sultan had a longer ETT I would spend the $1500 on it right now. The only FS 29s with longer top tubes are Specialized, Pivot, and Ventana. Lenz and Turner have a 25.25" ETT on their XXLs. In the end I really only have 3 choices for bikes.
    Stumpy - $2700 complete
    El Cap - $1,000 frame only
    Mach 429 - ~$2,000 frame only

I'm seriously considering snagging the El Cap + Fork and then tossing my hardtails parts onto it. That would give me the freedom to upgrade piece by piece and get what I actually what. For some reason people are always against this I never quite understood why. Sad thing about the Stumpy FSR Comp is the parts spec that you get for $2,700. A 2,200 gram wheelset eww. By the time you replace the bits they obviously skimped on your spending around $3,500.

On a tangent I will be happy with Specialized's patent for the Horst link expires. I used to work in paintball and the company Smart Parts go a patent on electric markers so broad that they could basically sue anyone who "use an electronic switch to activate the firing of a paintball marker." The result was small unique manufactures being sued out of business while other big dogs openly violated the patent since they had the money to hold up proceedings in court. I would like it if someone made aftermarket linkage so that you could modify your bike to horst link and get by the patent. Once it runs out it should be a non issue though and manufactures can make whats best for their customers. Sort of like how Chris King switched to the Cane Creek style of headset once their patent ran out.

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Make no mistake - I think the El Cap is great. I'm 6'9" myself, and have the 25" with the 5" rockers.

Interesting idea about rear triangle conversion to Horst though...

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

XXL size !

If the Sultan had a longer ETT I would spend the $1500 on it right now.

For your info the 09 XXL dw Sultan that is on sale has a 26 inch TT......the new 2011 version has the shorter TT length ! You have to go back to the 09 Sultan Specs on their website ! I own both Ventana and a DW Turner Sultan....however , I'm just a rider not a salesman ! TIG.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

White Brother Fluid 135 on my El Cap

Quote Originally Posted by PLAID813
    I think I might place my order Monday for this thing. What is the best and most cost effective fork to run?
    I run a White Borthers Fluid 135 on mine and it does the trick for me! I run the 5" rockers on my El Cap so the 135 is a nice match. FWIW- I am 6'2" 225 Lbs. She pedals well uphill (Esp w/ProPedal engaged) and flies downhill over rocks w/aplomb! Mine is built up HD with the quad bearing set up and the same rear end as is used on Ventana's Tandem. The El Cap is my dream bike for the type of riding we do here is western Pa. Lots of steep ups and downs and I love rocky, nasty trails!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Ultra Ventanaphile
    [QUOTE=Lets Try Science] That would give me the freedom to upgrade piece by piece and get what I actually what. For some reason people are always against this I never quite understood why. [QUOTE]

I've done that with every bike I've built up. My sig used to be, "Frame Rich, parts poor", for a good reason.
    Last edited by Ciclistagonzo; 03-15-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    -Aaron G.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Price drop to $750! I couldn't resist so I pulled the trigger.

Space Ghost
    I felt the same way with the El Rey. At $1000 it was a GREAT deal. At $750 it was a no brainer. I honestly wasn't expecting to like the bike as much as I do, the price is just icing on the cake. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it all built up. I'm looking at 120mm fork options now. Whats my best bet in the $300-$500 range?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    For once it's not me to blame So when are those new changes going to be unvailed to the general public?

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAID813
    Thanks! I can't wait to get it all built up. I'm looking at 120mm fork options now. Whats my best bet in the $300-$500 range?
    I bought a one year old F29 RLC set at 120mm for $400 off the classifieds here. The fork has been brilliant. I reduced the travel to 100mm for a couple HT's I had, then mounted it up to my El Rey. I am not sure which RS fork would be good to go after, since I have not used any of them. Just make sure you buy a fork that still has enough steerer tube left to accommodate your fit (stem height, spacers, etc.). Good luck. Keep us posted.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast