Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Re: Wheels

I've had good luck with two shops that are on the forums. Larry from Mountain High Cyclery and Chad from Red Barn.

Chad built my last set of wheels - Hope II in Gunmetal Blue to Sun Equalizer 27's. (It is a 26" wheel, but same basic idea). Local shops were quoting $800 for lesser parts, and he beat that, easily.

I'd check some of the good shops out there. I know several people on just the Ventana board can steer you to some good wheel builders/shops.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I had someone pm me about the head tube length. Both 23" frames that where just sent out have 5.4 inch head tubes. That reba sl you have may work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

brake hose length?

I'm expecting one of these el caps today. I bought a cheap groupset with a 1400mm rear brake hose. Does anyone know if that's long enough for the 23" frame? Thanks

Space Ghost
    I had R2Technik (eBay seller) build my Hope/Flows last year. They were about $600 shipped. The wheels have been great. Double butted spokes and red nipples with red hubs, they are worth a look. Build and shipped quickly also. Good luck.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ring up Chad...builds a mean wheel. Hell, I am still on the same front wheel he built for my X-5 in 2006.
    http://www.redbarnbicycles.com/wheels.html

Red Barn Bicycles

Call Us: (406) 363-2662

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAID813
    I had someone pm me about the head tube length. Both 23" frames that where just sent out have 5.4 inch head tubes. That reba sl you have may work.
    I ended up snagging a Fox F29 120mm with 15QR for $500 on closeout but I will still need to use the reba until my wheels arrive. I saw the 6.3" measurement on Ventanas site and just assumed my fork wouldn't work after adding the headset stack. If it is 5.4" then add ~1" for the cups and that leaves 1.1" for the stem. Perfect.

Larry quoted me $563 for white Stans Flows on blue Hope Pro 2 with double butted spokes. Hopefully I can call him today and get them started. The only thing I can't decide on is brass or alloy nipples but I'm sure he can give me some good advice.

All said and done the build will cost me $2700, the same price as the Stumpy FSR but with a better parts spec and a sexier frame. No need to replace the stock wheels or anything else in the future.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    It arrived last night. Compared to the Stumpy this just looks solid. My fork ended up being 1/2" short so I can't build it up till Monday when my fork arrives.

The only thing that confuses me is the rear pivot. It looks like the bolts only use half the threads in the chainstay. Is this on purpose? Also the water bottle mounts are on the bottom of the downtube even though there is plenty of room inside the triangle. I normally run a camelbak anyway but its annoying if you do want to just run a bottle getting dirt all over it. Also its harder to grab a bottle from there while riding. But for $750 I can't complain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.-dsc_0089_01.jpg  

El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.-dsc_0080.jpg  

El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.-dsc_0090.jpg  

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I weighted the 23" frame I got and it came in at 3590g with seatpost clamp. I was hoping for ~3,400 but oah well its a solid trailbike. If I ever plan on racing I'll get a tallboy or a hardtail. Honestly for +95% of riders I think they would be happier if they ignored weight and went with a good ride.

Also, one of my friends made it to college XC nationals on a 34 pound Rocky Mountain Slayer. Dropping a pound or two may make a difference but its not gonna turn a cat 5 rider into a cat 1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the info on the frame lets try science. My bike should have been built already. The guy that was going to do the work for me had a family emergency and wont be able to get to it for a few weeks. I'm not sure what I am going to do now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3