Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I am hoping to find a good deal like that. The frame has a 6.5 inch head tube so it might be difficult to find something used. I am also looking for a 1x9 setup and brakes. I'll make a build list before I place my orders to make sure I'm getting a good deal on everything. This is my first complete build so I am stoked!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I too bought one of the El Cap's from comp cyclist. Always thought the ventana's were expensive for being a 4 link, but the stiffness in the frame made the choice for me. 1k was a bargain.

Should be waaay stiffer than my voodoo canzo i had owned

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    When did you buy it? Did you notice they dropped the price to $750?

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Possibly silly question. Does the El Cap have water bottle mounts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PLAID813
    When did you buy it? Did you notice they dropped the price to $750?
    i bought it 2 weeks ago....

think they will give me the difference?

Space Ghost
    Plaid, don't be afraid to look for an older bike in your size or bigger to strip the components off. I have done this before. Find an older frame that someone has put some quality parts on and use what you need and sell the rest. especially if you can't find a decent deal on what you are looking for. I don't think you should have a tough time with the fork though, with everyone jumping ship to tapered.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    OMG OMG OMG I just pulled the trigger and bought it in sexy blue paint along with a Cane Creek 40 headset.

I tend to have buyers remorse but it feels good that I won't be on a Specialized like most of the riders out there.

**** I need to start shopping for components for it.

On the topic of tapered headtubes. I think they are better but these frames over 21" have 6" steer tubes which I think will end up being a really stiff interface. My current 29 hardtail has a 4" headtube and I can see why with that small of a height you would want a tapered.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the tip. I have a ht I will pulling some parts off of. So far I have the frame,wheelset,stem,saddle,seatpost,and handlle bars. After I source a fork I will need a to pick up a ss crankset,cassette,chain,brakes,shifter,and rear derailleur. It looks like there is still alot of 2010 leftovers for killer prices right now.

Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Congrats! You got the last blue one. What a steal for $750!

Space Ghost
    Plaid, don't focus on a SS crankset. A lot of the time you can find a triple for less and just use the 32T ring from it. I bought my SLX as a triple and took it apart.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    So far my plan is...
    Fox 32 F29 in 120mm or a Reba with a 15/20mm Thru Axle if I cant find the Fox at a reasonable price.
    Stan's Arch wheelset
    Already have Specialized Eskar and Captain tires
    ESI Chucky grips

Haven't picked
    Brakes
    Cockpit - Handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle
    Drivetrain will likely be X9 mix. FD/RD Cassette Shifters
    SLX m665 crankset. Are there other good light cranks around $200?

Should I go with a 10 speed drivetrain or just get cheaper 9 speed stuff? I'd like a 22x36 front and a 11-34/36 rear. I realize all I lose is a gear in the middle.

Proud lame eBiker
    jeeesus, about time. I was starting to think we were going to have to give a frame to you to make up your mind for you. Can't fricken beat the deals out there right now. Have no idea why there's even a question...

Congrats. Enjoy the build. You'll love the ride!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    This is my build planned out so far. My goal is a mix of XC and AM, basically a standard trailbike. My weights aren't perfect I know they are more of a rough idea for the end result.

Opinions? As is I'm coming in $100 cheaper than the Stumpy Comp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Capitan is making me recondering my plans.-ventana.png  

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Oh wow , I found a picture of my old 06 El Capitan w 4 " rockers and 100 mm Reba up front !

If I still had it , I'd loose the gold components except for the hope brakes ( caps ) and replace with black stuff ! Also, no more 9 mm quick release junk for me...just 15 or 20 mm TA front and a Hadley thru bolt rear and most likely wheels built with 36 spokes and strong rims ! Probably even a 120 mm travel fork in front or Talas ! The frame is plenty stiff for us bigger riders and deserves components to match ! It was a fun bike and I miss it........couldn't resist posting it up ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewyeti
    i bought it 2 weeks ago....

think they will give me the difference?
    bummer - because i bought a 21", they wont give me the 750 price of the 23" el cap. was worth a try

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    I tried to check my orders status today and the site says it can't find it, possibly that their servers are down. I checked the credit card I used and saw that they haven't charged it yet.

Does anyone have experience with Competitive Cyclist? Do they wait to charge you until your order is boxed and ready to ship? I'd be heartbroken if for some reason my order had been canceled and the blues were all gone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I was told when I placed my order the card would not be charged until the frame shipped. I wouldn't sweat it!

mtbr member
    I have 2 Venata's an X5 i picked up last year and El Choquillo hardtail. xl frames on both and they fit nice, the top tubes are custom length as i have long arms...my gf has 2 also, Sherwood and Teresa will take care of you..! good luck...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My frame should be here on Thursday! I should have all my parts by late next week. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get this beast built. I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    Lucky you mine won't get here till Monday. Post some unboxing pictures for us.

Also do you have a scale to get the frame weight before you build it up?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Nothing really exciting yet. The finish on the frame is perfect. You can tell its made with love. Unfortunately I have no way to weigh it. The last of my parts will be mailed out Monday. I hope to have it built by next weekend.

Here is my current ride:

My final build will be:

manitou tower pro
    stans 36h on hope 2 hubs
    truvativ stylo 1.1 ss cranks
    pg 990 cassette
    pg 991 chain
    king headset
    x.0 trigger shifter
    x.0 rear derailuer
    thomson seatpost
    thomson stem
    monkeylite xc handlebar
    avid elixir cr 185mm

I can't wait to take it out for the first ride!

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

????

Quote Originally Posted by PLAID813
    Here is my current ride:

Oh wow....how about a close up of this frame ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Here is some quick cell phone pics

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    In the last photo it looks like parts of your left fork leg are invisible.

Cars Hurt.
    May 2009
    My frame gets in tomorrow. Almost everything ordered except for wheels and a fork. I have a Reba SL but the steer tube is only 7.5" and it looks like the El Cap is 6.3" plus the headset plus the stem.

I need some advice for the wheelset. Both Universal Cycles and Chain Reaction are sold out of Hope Pro 2 hubs in blue. I don't know when they would get them in stock and all the other wheelbuilders I have found cost way too much money (ie. they want $750 for what is $500-600 elsewhere). I can buy the parts individually but I don't know how hard the Flows are to build up. I don't have a ton of wheel building experience. Only regular truing and a set if tiagra/deep-v that are on my road bike. So should I....

1. Buy the parts from several stores and lace them up myself, they pay a local shop to do a good truing. (not sure if this would piss the shop off?)

2. Wait for CRC or UC to get blue hubs back in stock.

3. Go with black Hope hubs or XT hubs and stop being so obsessed with color palate.

4. Find another online store that builds wheels for a reasonable price.

From CRC a set of white Flows, double butted spokes, and Hope pro 2 hubs is $496 shipped. From UC it's $620 upside with them being that I like they, they are closer in case of warranty issues. Buying the parts individually is around $450-$500 from US stores.

Opinions?

Sorry for so much babbling.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast