Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589

    easy to roll 2.3 UST rear tire

    Ok I'm looking for a fast-rolling UST tire. no concern about cornering or braking I just want a tire easy to pedal.

    I currently run a Nevy or High roller or DH24.

    I was lusting after a larsen TT 2.35 but it seems not to be available in UST version. to be confirmed.

    The michelin 2.30 mountain dry2 reinforced is pretty cool but not available in UST version.

    Hutch new python 2.30 mx casing is a catastrophe, it went to to the trash.

    any input?

    when will kenda finally offer bigger UST tires?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  2. #2
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Just wait a little bit and get a Maxxis Crossmark UST 2.25. I've been riding a prototype of this tire and it is great. It has a good volume and is true to size. Rolls super fast but still corners well.
    Nothing to see here.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    Thanks that sounds exactly like what I want! Awesome.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  4. #4
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    more info here. Not sure when they be available retail.
    Nothing to see here.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    more info here. Not sure when they be available retail.
    Yeah thanks I found it after a quick search.

    THX for sharing.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  6. #6
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    umm.. that tire looks good

  7. #7
    Shot Down in Flames...
    Reputation: D-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    If your main concern is rolling resistance, Specialized Eskars are a very easy rolling tire.

    I like them on El Bucanero, but didn't like them on a 5" bike.


    YMMV,
    D.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock
    If your main concern is rolling resistance, Specialized Eskars are a very easy rolling tire.

    I like them on El Bucanero, but didn't like them on a 5" bike.


    YMMV,
    D.
    I tried the Captain but not the Eskars, will try to see how they go. It's a shame they went from tubeless to tubeless ready. I believe they're also available in armadillo, will check that out, thanks.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  9. #9
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    I prefer the CrossMark over the Eskar. D's Eskars had a trial period on my bike. Didn't care for the cornering at all.
    Nothing to see here.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11 Bravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I prefer the CrossMark over the Eskar. D's Eskars had a trial period on my bike. Didn't care for the cornering at all.
    My feelings as well. I did not like them in corners at all.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

  11. #11
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,189
    Geax Barro Mountain Tnt 2.3. Light, fast rolling, big volume.

  12. #12
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,203
    My Eskars corner fine, but the sidewalls are skimpy, even in their control (snakeskin) version. I gashed one, and spooged stans sauce all over the native fauna a couple weeks ago.

    I'm waiting for the UST Bettys, but they will probably roll pretty slow.
    beaver hunt

  13. #13
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    mmmmmmmmmmm......UST Bettys. 1st week of Feb can't come fast enough!!
    Nothing to see here.

  14. #14
    'All over it!'
    Reputation: lornibear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,105
    I too am looking at the Bettys for my next set of tyres, although the Michelin mountain extreme 2.25 I have found to be great tyres. Even at just over 1kg each, they are high volume and roll really well. I have just got the 2.5 version which are only a few grams more. Can't wait to give them a good going over in the Welsh hills.

  15. #15
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    There will soon be a Kenda 2.35 DTC Nevegal UST tire on the market... (I e-mailed Kenda to ask. Some time this year I guess. Pretty vague )
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  16. #16
    198
    Reputation: RSutton1223's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
    My feelings as well. I did not like them in corners at all.
    They were fine if you didn't mind hitting the ground every time. It seemed like the Eskar's lost all cornering traction after two rides. I hated those things and I felt bad for recommending them to several people after my first ride on them because after that, they just went to hell.

    BB's all the way! I have a set of the UST's on order and I am running the tubed version now. I have had a hard time finding a better tire.

  17. #17
    Having a nice day!
    Reputation: LoneStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by RSutton1223
    They were fine if you didn't mind hitting the ground every time. It seemed like the Eskar's lost all cornering traction after two rides. I hated those things and I felt bad for recommending them to several people after my first ride on them because after that, they just went to hell.

    BB's all the way! I have a set of the UST's on order and I am running the tubed version now. I have had a hard time finding a better tire.
    It's not all bad. I apparently don't corner as hard as you and SSINGA, so the Eskars work fine for me. Plus, I have a very lightly used set to throw on my SS once my existing tires wear a little more, courtesy of RSutton!

  18. #18
    Shot Down in Flames...
    Reputation: D-Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    It's not all bad. I apparently don't corner as hard as you and SSINGA, so the Eskars work fine for me. Plus, I have a very lightly used set to throw on my SS once my existing tires wear a little more, courtesy of RSutton!
    It really depends on the application. The same tire that's good for 5" AM riding isn't necessarily the best tire for SSing, HT trail riding, etc. (See my post above)

    My favourite tire on the 5" bike has been the Fat Albert with the Big Betty a close second.

    Mr. Bling asked specifically about lack of rolling resistance. The Eskars excel at that in spades.


    YMMV,
    D.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    There will soon be a Kenda 2.35 DTC Nevegal UST tire on the market... (I e-mailed Kenda to ask. Some time this year I guess. Pretty vague )

    Mr Kenda told me the same lie last year...

    we'll see when it pops up.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cbrossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,133
    My non-UST GEAX Sturdys roll very nicely, so I imagine the UST version does as well.
    At 2.25, they are as big as most 2.4s.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

  21. #21
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    big Continental fan myslef.
    Explorer Pro UST 2.3 is a great all around tire. Smaller fairly well spaced knobs roll pretty easily, and I've found the cornering to be very predictable. Not so great of wet rocks though, but what is?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  22. #22
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,524
    big Continental fan myslef.
    Explorer(or is that the Verticle) Pro UST 2.3 is a great all around tire. Smaller fairly well spaced knobs roll pretty easily, and I've found the cornering to be very predictable. Not so great of wet rocks though, but what is?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    big Continental fan myslef.
    Explorer(or is that the Verticle) Pro UST 2.3 is a great all around tire. Smaller fairly well spaced knobs roll pretty easily, and I've found the cornering to be very predictable. Not so great of wet rocks though, but what is?

    I had it on my Spot but as a front tire (Vertical) but it is a very small 2.3. Don't even know what the Explorer looks like. Thanks.
    Edit; the explorer only exists in 2.1 and the vertical in the rear felt like a slightly better ignitor.

    shortl ist
    upcoming nevy
    upcoming Crosmark 2.25 (really like this one on paper)
    Spe eskar armadillo or plain 2bliss
    anyone know for sure if the larsenTT 2.35 isn't available in UST?

    As D-rock pointed out, even though the eskar is not flawless, as long as it rolls easily , it's all good.
    Last edited by Mr Bling; 01-28-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Bling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,589
    straight from Kenda

    I just find out that our Product Manager approved Nevegal 2.35 UST with
    DTC rubber compound, I would say that this tire will be available in
    about six to eight week...... keeping our finger crossed.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

  25. #25
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    If you could make the HIP ride there is a possibility of getting some of the Crossmarks!
    Nothing to see here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •