Proud lame eBiker

CRASH VIDEO!!! Downieville THIS Sunday!!

9am and 1:30 shuttles are the one's we've booked us into.

Call up there, give the man your card no., and then get on the bus Guss cause it's gonna be going off up there this weekend. Second weekend of being 'open' and there was still snow blocking Sunrise last weekend......but it's 88degrees up there today! Melt you horrible white stuff, MELT!!

Should be some incredible coffee grounds out there to roost!

Any takers?

I'm thinking of heading up Saturday and camping out, but most others in our group are leaving Davis 6am Sunday morning if you wanted to try and grab a ride.
    Last edited by Internal14; 06-07-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: wake up people!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Lightly salted
    Wish I had sunday free. Downieville = FUN!

Proud lame eBiker
    Oh man....what an adventure. Downieville never let's you down.

Run 1 at 9am: Skipped Sunride because multiple people were saying it wasn't worth it, too much snow.
    So we ran Butcher to Second Divide, then Upper&Lower 1st. Divide back into town. With the five of us, we make good time. No mechanicals. Phew!

Had a good hour plus to kill and eat some lunch before getting on the 1:30 shuttle.

Everyone wanted to give Sunrise a try so try we did. Started out great. Then, bam. Snow. And then more snow. Then lost the trail. Then went past a sign that we shouldn't have. Then back tracked up a hill. Still no trail. Someone thought they saw a fire road below, so we started picking our way down the hill through all the dead fall and snow drifts. Into a small creek area that had a faint trail next to it. Were able to follow that until it hit a true Fireroad. Which I recognized as the Fireroad to Pauley/Big Boulder so we went North.

Got to the top of Pauley Creek ad took a break and a mini trials session broke out with some lessons being handed out by yours truly. Then we got going down Pauley.

A whole lot smoother than I remembered it. But then again, it's always smoother in the beginning of the season I find. A nice big creek to cross at the end had our feet cold, but refreshed.

Then ripped down the chunk to Butcher. A little ways down Butcher one of our guys says he wants to go ahead and he'll holler for us to ride and he'll snap some pictures or video of us as we go by and with the river way down below it's guaranteed to be awesome. Uh huh. Awesome.
    He yells out and my buddy Steve rolls off with me right behind, Pedro behind me, and Marc pulling up tail gunner duty. We pass Cliff taking pictures/video and stop around the corner on the next rise. Steve stops. I stop. Pedro stops.

Then we hear Cliff start hoot and hollering. But he had been doing that throughout the day. But after 30-45seconds I realize that we're missing Marc. Uh oh.....we turn around and pedal back. Cliffy is standing on the side of the trail yelling at Marc to "Hold ON!!" Oh sh!t....this just got bad!

Cliff and I bailed straight down the cliff holding on to whatever we could to control our progress without sliding all the way to the river. Cliff flanked right, I went left. I had a better exit line so I grabbed Marc who was a little freaked out, but not broken, and hauled him up and over to Steve, who passed him up to Pedro and we told him to stay put on the trail and we'd go down and get the bike.

Gulp!!

Bike is in the river! 10-15foot drop on mossy rock to get to the bottom, where the bike is laying in an eddy of the river.

Again Cliff and I head down. Get to the spot where Marc had stopped his free-fall and realized how lucky he was because another five feet or so and he would have been over the ledge and into the water. So as we're wondering how were going to get the bike and get back up, Steve had flanked further left and made his way down to the bike. So now he was able to toss it up to Pedro who drug it up a few feet before tossing it up to me. I drug it a few feet up the hill before loosing my balance and sliding down ten feet or so.

It was about then that I saw some new faces up the hill where the trail was. I was stoked. More people the better I thought.

After about fifteen more minutes of struggling we had got the bike up to the trail and were getting out bodies up as well. Thank goodness for loooooong pieces of dead wood that we were able to use as 'rope' to hold on to and pull one another back up the hill.

I get to the top and right away ask, "Where'd those other guys go?" Marc said they asked what happened an he told them and said he wished we had rope. One of the guys responded with, "Well, we don't have any rope. See you later." and off they went down the trail. Grrrrrr.....

I inspect Marc's javelin, I mean, Ventana X-5 and realize the front wheel is bent so much the wheel won't pass through the stanchions. I'm busy yanking off the front wheel so I can pound it on the ground until straight when a couple ladies roll up. Turns out they're ER nurses! They are entertained by our story, then they press on down the trail once they know all is good with us.

By the time we get ourselves rolling again it's 20 minutes after they had left. We don't make it 500 feet until I come over this little rise and at the bottom of the hill are the two nurses hovering over a downed rider, with his buddy standing helplessly nearby. Jeeeeezzzzzz!!!!

Guy hit it a little wrong and smacked himself into the side of this large rock out cropping. Broke his helmet. Grazed his shoulder. And broke his Tibia and Fibula by the looks of his ankle sticking out all funny. And the amount of pain the poor guy was in.

Turns out he was one of the five guys who didn't have rope.

Karma son, K A R M A. LEarn it. Live by it.

We helped out how we could before we headed for town. He had told us his other friends had gone in to town to call 911 already.

About 45 minutes later we're on the upper 1st divide and I come around this exposed corner and get surprised by three guys taking photo's of one another. One guy asked me, "Hey, you see our friend with the broken ankle? How's he doing?"

Uhhhhhh....arent' you guys supposed to be calling for help?? "Oh we called. They said something about Sierra City." Why don't I have any faith in these guys?! I just lowered my head and rode on at that point.

What a day!

I'll get some photo's and VIDEO of the crash up soon. It's just a junky iPhone video, but it's pretty entertaining. Only because Marc was not seriously injured.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

Proud lame eBiker

So he's sitting down. Loafing along. Then SMACK goes the left pedal into a rock.

Proud lame eBiker

Proud lame eBiker
    jeeeezuss....I guess the Ventana Forum can't handle the video'd abuse of a Ventana.

No comments on this? Where's everyone at?

Lightly salted
    I been following this on the NorCal forum. The fall looked nasty! When things go wrong, it happens fast. Good thing it was only minor injuries and you guy were able to continue.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post
    jeeeezuss....I guess the Ventana Forum can't handle the video'd abuse of a Ventana.

Oh quit whining you attach whore!
    Followed it on Norcal as well. Just glad you bud was fine, and yep sounded like Karma caught up to those others..

Besides, I was just jealous you got to ride up there!
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

alright, here's mine

Quote Originally Posted by Internal14 View Post

the dreaded pedal strike launch i can definately relate. you don't see it happen in the video, but you can hear it, & then the guy comes into view hanging all over the bike w/o a chance in hell of getting in control, heading toward a cliff, knowing he's going over it! Jeezuz!
    i've only had a handfull of those things happen to me, but enough to know i don't want to have any more. scariest thing that can happen on a ride. instantly, completely @ the mercy of ???
    hey, @ least the story ends w/ the guy sounding like he & his bike come out of it alright. actually, that being the case, retelling that day oughta be good for a whole lotta real good laughs
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I haven't ridden there in 3 or 4 years as I moved to Seattle and now DC. But, one of the last times I did ride there...came up on a dude who fell down the side on a section where death looked a lot more probable.

Scary as hell I know, but watching the video....I was thinking "at least he tumbled in what looks like mostly dirt."

The dude we came across that fell down the side in a rockier section was pretty messed up. No broken bones...but pretty sure he went into shock for a while. 2 nurses....gee go figure...similar scenario...rode on up as we were getting the guy back up onto the trail. He was completely out of it, but ambulatory. Pretty bloody face...possibly broken nose...and lots of big scrapes on arms and legs. Someone rode ahead to go call 911 as the nurses said he was going into shock.

We stayed for a while till the nurses told us we should head on out and make sure the other folks got hold of someone to call an ambulance. 3 hours later...we saw the dude walking to his car, which was parked downtown. Ambulance made it to the part of the trail that crosses one of the dirt roads (4 year memory is kind of vague) and reportedly, he refused treatment.

When we saw him...he still seemed kind of loopy, and he was sternly telling his buddies "not a word of this to my wife, you hear me! I'll never get to ride again if you say ANYTHING about this!"

I think they were up there for just a day trip...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was up there the same weekend with my ventana but luckily I didn't end up at the bottom of the riverbed. 2 runs for me, 11 and 2 and loved every minute of it. I'm definitely falling in love with my x-5.